Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
griffith

zenith 40 tin carbs

just beginning the tear down and cleaning of my newly acquired '70 911t. It's pretty rough! Anyhow, removed the carbs, only to find a red fluid, seems to be atf, inside the carb,in the recesses between the trumpets and the body. Whats up with that? any one suggest
a source of info on zeniths? all help appreciated. neophite!
Old 07-04-2000, 09:17 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Early_S_Man

The factory service manual is probably the best source, but the Haynes manual may be somewhat useful, too.

I don't know where you live, but the red deposits you describe sound an awfull lot like a residue left behind by premium leaded gasoline from 26 years ago and more! They may just be some 25-year-old gas deposits! If nothing has been done over the years to remove them, they would NOT have gone away on their own!

------------------
Warren Hall
1973 911S Targa
Old 07-04-2000, 11:00 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
griffith

Warren, this was a claret liquid, fairly
viscous, somewhat slippery, neutral smell, didn't taste it! seemed like atf. anyhow, poured it off, continued cleaning. have car up on stands now, and will get serious about brakes, while son has at carbs and engine compartment. You responded to my first post back in june, and I appreciate your consideration. Have Haynes, where to get Zenith manual?
Old 07-04-2000, 05:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
robh

Look in the back of your Haynes manual, where it lists all of the other manuals they have available. I'm pretty sure there's a Haynes manual that details Zenith carbs specifically. Once you get the part number for that manual, you should be able to go to where you bought your other Haynes manual, and if they don't have the Zenith book in stock, they should be able to order it. I have the Haynes Weber carb manual that I use for my VW, and in it there is also a section on the triple barrel Weber carbs used on other 911's. There's lots of good information there.
Old 07-05-2000, 02:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Early_S_Man

Actually, I was referring to the Porsche factyory service manuals ...and the Clymer manual for the '69-'73 911's has an exploded diagram as well.

------------------
Warren Hall
1973 911S Targa
Old 07-05-2000, 09:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
robh

Where is a good place to get the Porsche factory manuals? Is the dealership the only place or is there somewhere online etc?
Old 07-05-2000, 09:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Early_S_Man

Pelican has them, as do many advertisers in 'Excellence' ... such as:

http://www.my-porsche.com/technical/tech2.htm#special

------------------
Warren Hall
1973 911S Targa
Old 07-05-2000, 09:15 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Thierry Willefert

I have the very same car with Zenith carbs.
The factory manuals ( 2 binders ) are very precise in regards to the working of the carbs. The cutout views are great to understand what does what.
My carbs also had that kind of deposits. I believe it's old plain gas residues. Beware of the hinge/pin holding the floaters. If corroded and loose, they will sometime get stuck and gas will overflow from everywhere!!!
Be sure to replace all gas lines even the short ones on each carb. The old factory hardware holding the rubber might look just fine but after 30 years are just loose and ready to let gas escape....
Also, on my car, I readjusted the mixture after the shop worked on my car. I enriched it and stopped most of the backfiring and mileage even got better.
Also be sure to replace the rubber gasket between the carbs and the air filter. After so long, they are crushed and offer no sealing at all.
Good luck.
Thierry
Old 07-05-2000, 09:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Joeaksa

This fluid sitting on top of the carbs on my old '72 was oil resudue that had gone from the air filter housing (through the big black vent hose going into the housing) into the tops of the carbs... let it sit long enough and it turns various colors... take a good whiff of it and bet it will end up being oil.

JA
Old 07-06-2000, 05:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
griffith

thanks for all the replys! It's too late
to reexamine, but on the other carb I'll look
closer. By concensus it's either gas or oil.
both make sense. Thanks, Thierry for the
fuel line stuff. more later.
Old 07-06-2000, 08:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Old 07-06-2000, 08:33 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: