Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage Floor mat - pictures

As promised, a report on the garage floor mats that were brought up on another thread which is probably forgotten now...

I still like them. They're not perfect, nothing is, the paints lifts over time, the vinyl tiles were dangerous (long story) and impossible to remove, the race-deck stuff is horrendously expensive, so I tried these to cover my nasty vinyl tiles !

As you can see it's not perfect, the rubber mat seems to have little bumps or stretches here and there, but it's a hell of a lot nicer than it was before, and I can take them with me...

For <$600, I like my garage floor better, now!

Old 10-29-2006, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
- Self Moderating -

Looks good Greg! Where did you find the mats?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
THE IRONMAN

Garage
Sweet...it's look very clean....

<IN GAS WE TRUST>
Old 10-29-2006, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

http://garagefloor.com/ had them for less than others, they are on the griot's garage catalog too for $100 more ;-)

I don't want to sound like a commercial though ;-) Shop around !
Maybe you can beat them too....

I forgot to mention, the garage smells like a car guy's heaven ! Fresh rubber, hmmm...
Old 10-29-2006, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Wandered off somewhere...

Garage
Looks great to me... How hard is it to put that big sucker down..or is it in pieces. Must be..

2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon..Crush Orange

Last edited by Drdogface; 10-31-2006 at 05:37 AM..
Old 10-29-2006, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Looks very nice. Can you roll a weighted jack on this surface?
Old 10-29-2006, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

It's two sections, joined on a center line. It comes in a roll. You can trim it to fit on the periphery. My guess would be that the irregularities will correct themselves after a few heat cycles.

I have a sample piece from the company, and I would think rolling a heavy jack on top of it woudn't pose any problem.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Have you tried using a floor jack and jackstands on it yet? How durable do you think it is? I really want to cover my garage floor, but I want it to last. If not, I'll leave it bare and ugly...

Thanks,
Mike

'84 Grand Prix White RoW Carrera
Old 10-29-2006, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I've used a 9x22 ribbed version under my winter car for the last 3 years. It's very durable, doesn't move around. You could probably jack on that version better than mine which has ribs to channel melt to the door. A jack needs to roll inward when lifting the ribs would inhibit that.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
I bought mine from Menard's home improvement store for a good price 2+ years ago. They have held up well though one bay shows some stretching under the MG from one of the fluids that leak from a British Car. Overall, quite happy for the money and ease of application.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

luke what was it called at menards?? interested in doing something different in my new garage but only in one side as the other side is a sproay booth so not sure what I will do with that yet

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 10-29-2006, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I think a heavy jack would be OK but the wheels or feet might leave indentations under the full weight of a car. What I plan to do is, when I get my scissor lift, cut a center portion for the lift to sit on the floor, surrounded by the mat. The portion I cut, I will reuse elsewhere, no loss...

It's not for people who can do a nice epoxy job, or have money to burn on race deck, it's more for those of us who have a crappy cement floor that would take too much work to prep or have vinyl tiles already which look ratty and won't come off !!

And yea, I got two 7x17 ft rolls, united in the middle with painter's tape (it's really showing imperfections on the floor so double sided tape would probably be too thick !). Comes in a big heavy roll that is guaranteed to make your UPS guy LOVE you !!

Last edited by Deschodt; 10-29-2006 at 04:15 PM..
Old 10-29-2006, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Used User

IMHO, if you use sturdy plywood under your stands and a piece of steel under your jack so that it can roll when lifting, the floor will be protected plenty. A little thicker aluminum would work as well, I believe. I would get 3/8ths for no deflection as opposed to 1/4 on the steel. I would use 3/4 plywood, or the same thicknesses mentioned in metal. I like plywood better than lumber, which can split, especially with four points of high pressure. The pads ought to be twice the footprint of the stand. I don't [i]think[/] there would be a problem of the stands moving on metal, but I haven't used stands on metal over a rubbery surface. Cut handles in them for hanging, carrying and snaking them back out from under the car with a hook.

That's all I can think of tonight. Maybe that's enough.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks a ton Greg! I'm worried that a jack might bunch up this mat and prevent the jack from rolling. This would make the mat unsuitable for jacking without using a board/plate like Milt just described. Is that a legit concern?

If so, then perhaps Racedeck is a better choice for those of us who use jacks often.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like the best deal I could find was at Sam's Club where you get a 9'X20' grey ribbed for $153.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to sus911
I guess it counts welding inside the workshop out of the question.....?

84 ROW Carrera (guards red), A/C delete, Fuchs 7 + 8 x 16, Koni Adj. F+R, sway bars 20F 22R. turbo tie rods, Strut brace, brake cooling kit, C/F Recaro GT3 copies.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

There is no way this would bunch up under a jack. It's heavy !!! If the car cannot bunch it up with the tires how on earth could your itty bitty floor jack bunch it up ;-)

But it might leave a dent or something.. anyhow, it's not like I am selling the thing, just letting you know it's out there...
Old 10-30-2006, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Deschodt
There is no way this would bunch up under a jack. It's heavy !!! If the car cannot bunch it up with the tires how on earth could your itty bitty floor jack bunch it up ;-)

But it might leave a dent or something.. anyhow, it's not like I am selling the thing, just letting you know it's out there...
Gotcha. In the other thread, you wrote: "You cannot do any jacking on it anymore than you should on glued tiles", so I'm just trying to understand why you said that. I personally don't care about dents, but if it's unsafe (like glued tiles) then I AM concerned about that!

Last edited by Eric86Red911; 10-30-2006 at 11:55 AM..
Old 10-30-2006, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Yeah.. I had that one car almost drop on me because I jacked one side of it and the other side (under the weight and sticky tires) lifted the vinyl tiles off the floor !!!

If anything, the mat might be better because it's one piece, not several tiles, but I would still not jack on it to lift one side of the car. I'd lift a corner without a second thought, but for everything else now I use a hydraulic scissor lift. For $1200, the ease of use, the practicality, I won't risk my life with porsche's jack points anymore ;-)

So in that sense is as good/bad as floor tiles. I'd only jack on concrete if the car was going to be severely off balance ! For little jobs, I don't see why this mat would not work, but it's more for a cleaner look and ease of maintenance (fluids) than for jacking !

When I get my new lift (sold my old one) I will cut a hole in the mat for it and leave the nice rubber floor all around !
Old 10-30-2006, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Greg - So what kind was your old sissor jack and what are you getting??

Old 10-31-2006, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: