Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

From MFI to carbs...what do you think?

Hi, a year ago I purchased a complete 2.2E engine for my ī69T car. I didnīt know too much about the MFI working...Now I now, too much parts to replace and to find.
What do you think about to upgrade with a set of webbers?
What do I have to change in the engine?....heads I guess.
Who had done that??
I have a junked set of webbers.
Thanks

Old 11-13-2006, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I replaced my MFI on my 72 S with a set of PMO's. I couldnt be happier with the soud and response. Do a search and I think you'll find that PMO's are the way to go for this conversion.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You don't have to change anything. Rebuild your webers(if they are rebuildable). You will need intake manifolds for the webers but these are available used. New from PMO.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Re: From MFI to carbs...what do you think?

Quote:
Originally posted by 69sporto
Hi, a year ago I purchased a complete 2.2E engine for my ī69T car. I didnīt know too much about the MFI working...Now I now, too much parts to replace and to find.
What do you think about to upgrade with a set of webbers?
What do I have to change in the engine?....heads I guess.
Who had done that??
I have a junked set of webbers.
Thanks
Webers aren't an "upgrade." You'll need an electric fuel pump for an MFI car. I'm not sure about the fuel accumulator/filter with cold start enrichment solenoid for a 2.2L. Maybe one of the other folks know the 2.2L setup. I can only speak to the 2.4/2.7RS setup. Maybe you could post some pics here of your engine and your car's engine bay for us to help you get the MFI sorted out. MFI is a great system when it's sorted out. Good luck with your project. It sounds like great fun.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
It's hard to call carbs an upgrade when you consider they give you worse MPGs and they deliver slightly less horsepower but that being said the learning curve seems to be much easier concerning carbs.

The heads you have will work fine but you will need to plug the injector ports. This is easy. You just buy the parts and screw them into the injector port.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 11-13-2006, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

As a carb person, I'd try hard to keep the MFI. Carbs are great but you have a something vintage and original to your car. If you are starting from scratch then go carbs or EFI if you're rich.

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 11-13-2006, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

"It's hard to call carbs an upgrade when you consider they give you worse MPGs and they deliver slightly less horsepower but that being said the learning curve seems to be much easier concerning carbs."

Carbs are usually not considered an upgrade to MFI, but some weigh the plus and minuses and make their final decision:

For Webers:
Easier to tune for a specific engine
Cheaper to bring back to life
Cheaper to service when time comes
Pieces are cheaper

For MFI:
More ultimate power (+10) and throttle response
Expensive to reconfigure for a modified engine.

Both need knowledgeable owners to maintain and tune. If service is out-sourced, fewer sources for MFI skills.

Preservation aspects aside, it's a toss up. I've heard more stories of poorer gas mileage with MFI than carbs; more oil dilution stories with MFI than Webers; more throttle shaft problems with Webers than MFI and finally, more injector problems with MFI than carbs.

To change over to Webers on an E engine, I might add you need plugs for the injection holes in the head. Otherwise, it's pretty easy.

Sherwood
Old 11-13-2006, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for your comments. I know itīs not an upgrade but maybe a shortcut..... Itīs now time for making numbers.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: