Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally posted by stlrj
As I said in my earlier post, the only mod I had to make to have them work was to add a start enrichment relay on the head temp sensor circuit that added an extra 1k resistance to get my engine started on a warm startup.
The saturated injectors (I think saturated refers to the driver) are high(er) impedance and have battery voltage across them all the time they are open. Current is limited by the impedance of the injectors.

Peak and hold injectors are low impedance and the current flow through them is limited by the drive circuit i.e. a power transistor can't be saturated full time. Full battery power is applied to the injector (driver saturated) until a set current value is reached, and then the driver switches off and back on again (drivers active region) around a lower set point. This allows the magnetic field to build quickly and supposedly turn the flow on quicker.

If you put a high impedance (saturated?) injector in a peak and hold circuit it seems like if you didn't hit the peak current set point it would work just fine (the driver would always be saturated).

Old 02-08-2007, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

The purpose of the peak and hold is to be able to get the injector open quickly so it can function effectively through out the engines RPM range. Placing a high ohm injector on a PH system may function but does it function at its best. Does anyone have dyno AF information that this situation if effective and what does it do to the stock ECU that is not designed for that type of injector. If you have a custom ECU capable of driving the injector they probably work great.
To me it seems kind of like putting oil in the radiator system of a normal car. It may work it may not.
There is a reason Porsche used the PH injectors. They are designed for high performance engines. Until shown otherwise currently Bosch is the only provider of the relatively low flow 24# PH injectors. If you are the experimental type I suppose you can put anything in and see what happens.
Cabriolet Racing And Performance C.R.A.P. Gruppe #1
Put on some C.R.A.P. and drive....
Old 02-08-2007, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
I contacted fiveomotorsport.com for an alternative to buying new injectors and found that they offer a set of 6 flow matched Bosch reconditioned injector package for 84-89 911 Carreras for $259 bucks. Yep, that's right... $259 bucks. There is a $60 core charge that they refund after the purchase, if you choose. My total order was around $320. There is a small catch though. I contacted Bruce (bruce@fiveomotorsport.com), the owner of fiveomotorsports and asked for the specific part numbers in his advertised set. They are NOT Bosch 150-158 part numbers... they are instead the more readily available 150-201 part numbers. I checked the Stan Weiss' site and compared the two part numbers (see the link posted earlier) and they are very close.. too close for me to care after comparing prices and availability. So, I have ordered a set, and will report back on their service and the product.

Here's the link to what I ordered: http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsPORSCHEVW.asp

-Troy

2001 Boxster 2.7L (Orient Red), bone stock
Old 02-08-2007, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Found this page from Holley while checking to see what a 150-201 actually is. It has a holley replacement number the 150-158 does not. I will take a look at the specs for the 150-201.

holley cross reference
Old 02-09-2007, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

After a little research it looks like the 0280-150-201 injector is good fit for the 0280-150-158 with only slight differences. That injector however retail is nearly as expensive as the correct one. I have also seen "reconditioned" 150-158 units in the $60.00 range. One must remember however that reconditioned simply means they cleaned them flow tested and then put on new o-ring. They do not take the bodies apart so it is kind-of a crap shoot.
I did find a cross reference for the 150-201 number to holley part number 68-49 I could not however find that holley part number.
So my current assesment is $249 for 6 clean injectors not a bad price but not $30.00 for new either so the hunt is still on. Even at $60 or $70 for new would be a deal but so far no luck on that either. The 150-201 is basically a mid 80s BMW injector and appears to be in the same boat as the porsche injector.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered

try linders injectors for some really good info

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 02-09-2007, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Got the full set of the Bosch 201s from fiveO motorsports in my car this weekend and from first impressions, my car runs smooth as silk. I'll be taking it out for a road test tomorrow and will let you guys know how they work out. So far, so good... and the price was definitely right.

As you know from earlier posts... I ordered a set of re-conditioned Bosch 201s from fiveO motorsports. They were ordered late on a Thursday evening and arrived on my doorstep the following Monday. They were nicely packaged, individually wrapped with a silica gel pack in each small injector bag. The set of six I ordered were flow matched, but no flow information was provided with the injectors. I was in contact with the owner of this small company and he was very honest and helpful. He quickly responded to all my emails and he shipped very quickly. My experience with their product is extremely positive.

-Troy

Old 02-17-2007, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
My set of reconditioned 150-201s are performing nicely. I can already tell that my car runs much smoother than before. I've done a test run and, today, pulled a 30 mile commute with no problems.

I highly recommend going the reconditioned route from fiveO motorsports. My experience with them was great and my 201 alternative injectors are really performing nicely. $250/set or $41 a pop works much better for me than $150-ish a pop for new Bosch 150-158s.

-Troy

Old 02-19-2007, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
#29 SCWDP (muhaahhh!!)

Troy,
What was your driveability issue with your 86?
92 325is
Now living in Sunny West Palm Beach FL!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by islandmanpa
Troy,
What was your driveability issue with your 86?
He had start-ability issues.22 pages of grief
Old 02-19-2007, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
#29 SCWDP (muhaahhh!!)

Thanks rick!
92 325is
Now living in Sunny West Palm Beach FL!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Troy, glad to hear the 150-201's are performing well for you. What servicing does fiveo perform on these before sale?

I wonder what a new set of these could be had for? I'll have to dig a bit and see what I can find. I think someone quoted around $65 new. Not great, but still better than a new set of Carrera injectors. I'm still interested in dfinks original question if anyone knows of or can find a low cost direct replacement,

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 02-24-2007, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Czar of C.R.A.P.

The 150-201 injectors are just as expensive new as the 150-158 anything you find for the $50 - $65 range is "reconditioned" they are both pretty close in specs.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

dfink,

I'm rereading this and am confused as to the Holley refs above. The link you posted lists Holley P\N 68-49 as a replacement for the 0280-150-201 injector.

Does this essentially mean that Holley 68-49 is a drop in replacement for our injectors?

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 02-27-2007, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
ianc... you are correct, the 201's aren't that much cheaper than the 158's, however the kicker is that they are much more widely available. Especially if you're looking in the aftermarket... like me.

fiveO claims to clean and flow match their 201's... although they didn't provide me with any kind of flow data to prove it. I've been running my car for a few weeks now and it runs great with the 201's. If you buy a set of reconditioned injectors from fiveO... for the price alone... you'll be satisfied.

-Troy

Old 02-27-2007, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Hey Troy,

Quote:
you are correct, the 201's aren't that much cheaper than the 158's, however the kicker is that they are much more widely available.
heh, just for kicks, I stopped off at my friend's shop tonite to check on the jobber's price for these two injectors. I ran both part #'s and found (to my surprise) that the 201 was actually 26$ more expensive new than the 158!

I'm still pursuing the Holley equiv part # that dfink listed above. The doc that he posted listed a P\N (68-49), but I was unable to find any further reference to it on the site, so I've written their support to ask for further information. They claim to respond in 48 hrs, but if I haven't heard back tomorrow, I may just give them a call instead.

I'll post my findings here...

ianc

Old 02-27-2007, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
ianc... wow, get out... for real? $26 bucks per injector is huge difference. I'm stunned. Oh well... then I guess for the most part... the 201 is good only in the aftermarket reconditioned/re-flowed arena. New injectors prices really are just plain ridiculous. Thank goodness they don't wear out or require frequent replacement, like spark plugs.

-Troy

Old 02-27-2007, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by ianc
dfink,

I'm rereading this and am confused as to the Holley refs above. The link you posted lists Holley P\N 68-49 as a replacement for the 0280-150-201 injector.

Does this essentially mean that Holley 68-49 is a drop in replacement for our injectors?

ianc
It would appear that is what they are saying. However just like you I was never able to find any referrence to that number being available.
I think the problem is that these injectors as peak and hold are designed for performance both at low rpm and high ranges. Generally this type is not used untill higher flows are required. So bosch made these for the specific purpose and because of the limited application nobody does a replacement. The saturation type work well in most applications so that is what is used. And if you are really going for the HP you need more flow than 24#.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Ok here it is the $30.00 replacement. I don't know anything about it so don't say I said so. They appear to have a plastic top section and perhaps can not take the heat of the air cooled engines but here they are.
the bosch 0280-150-826 is a chrysler injector with specs very close to the 150-158 The ebay auction has them for buy it now price of $29.00 ea

ebay fuel injectors

They also list some cross reference numbers
CHRYSLER
OEM

KEM
142-628
aftermarket

WELLS
M130
aftermarket
Old 02-28-2007, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

dfink,

very interesting. I wouldn't think the heat would be a problem myself. How did you check the specifications? What are the differences between this and the 158?

Thanks for the info,

ianc

Old 02-28-2007, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: