Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Footwell blower motor replacementů (?)

Looking for a replacement source for the existing motor that is inside the footwell blower assembly (x 2). The original motor was made by AEG (part # W960 80075)

The complete unit (housing, fan, et al) has a Porsche number 911.624.043.02 (left side) and 911.624.044.02 (right side) but they tend to be pricey

Pictures are shown without the plastic shrouding / housing

Old 02-20-2007, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hey Jascha,

Thanks for making the new post. Yes, I have had these guys out. Only one of them is squeaking and I have disassembled it and oiled the felt pad. Brushes and bearings look OK, but it squeals for about 30-45 sec when cold. Can't for the life of me figure out why, but I'd just like to replace it with something newer and more reliable, so here's hoping someone might have a line on a newer replacement like the engine room blower fan from Dayton.

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 02-20-2007, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Is it possible, as im relatively easy, to install these in earlier cars??
Are the footwells the same on my '76 and later carreras?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by palle7688
Is it possible, as im relatively easy, to install these in earlier cars??
Are the footwells the same on my '76 and later carreras?
Yes it's possible, I did it to my '78 with good results. Sorry, I don't have link, you'll have to search, there are a couple good descriptions of the procedure on this board.

Jerry M
'78 SC
Old 02-21-2007, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ianc
Hey Jascha,

.... Brushes and bearings look OK, but it squeals for about 30-45 sec when cold. Can't for the life of me figure out why, but I'd just like to replace it with something newer and more reliable, so here's hoping someone might have a line on a newer replacement like the engine room blower fan from Dayton.

ianc
The squeal you are describing is fairly universal and should have resolved after you lubricated it. The bearing (if you can call it that is quite primitive) I noticed that the screeching stopped on the bench but when reinstalled it returned.

Try repositioning the assembly such that all of the attachments are neutral and not distorting in any one direction the housing...

Q: Did anyone find a source for the brushes (engine compartment blower motor or foootwell motor type)

Last edited by Jascha; 02-21-2007 at 09:47 AM..
Old 02-21-2007, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I noticed that the screeching stopped on the bench but when reinstalled it returned.
Yes, I also noticed that, which made it very difficult to troubleshoot. when I had the motor dismounted, it made no noise, but when I reinstalled it, no matter how I tweaked and turned it, it's still noisy. Still not sure what's actually making the noise...

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 02-21-2007, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

maybe grease would work better than oil. I don't remember seeing anything about an alternative motor. For the fan motor in the back at the engine several folks have found alternatives that you can make fit with a little engineering but that's completely different than the footwell blowers. You'll have to let us know if you find anything for the footwell blowers.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 02-21-2007, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
You'll have to let us know if you find anything for the footwell blowers.
I think that's the purpose of this thread.

ianc

Old 02-21-2007, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

ianc:

In these type of applications I tend to use Wurth HHS 2000 which you can spray and it sets into a high temperature grease. This magic happens as the solvent evaporates (very quickly), resulting in a high adhesive force between the lubricant and metal surface (motor shaft). It is especially resistant to high pressures

A must have (our Host may carry it)

1989 911
1996 993 ('Go Navy')
1984 911 ('Go Pelican')
Old 02-21-2007, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmohn View Post
Yes it's possible, I did it to my '78 with good results. Sorry, I don't have link, you'll have to search, there are a couple good descriptions of the procedure on this board.

Jerry M
'78 SC

Jerry

Do you have any photos?

Looking for a 996 Silver Cab 2002-2004
Old 10-11-2007, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Did all that oil and grease and repair stuff, but those footwell motors were just 20 years old and the bearings were shot. $144.00 X2 from our host...they purrrr like German kittens!

Jerry

Last edited by jhubs; 10-12-2007 at 03:22 PM..
Old 10-11-2007, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy View Post
Jerry

Do you have any photos?
Sorry, no photos, but here's a link that may help (I didn't have enlarge any openings and the carpet footwell panels covered the blowers with no problems).

Footwell blowers in a 78SC

Jerry M
'78 SC
Old 10-12-2007, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: