Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to P Crowther
seat redo

My 82 SC is in need of a seat cover restoration. I have a skilled auto upholstery man locally that offers great leather and synthetics in the right color. Or, are there replacement OEM-type covers that I could have him install professionally for me?

What does everyone out there usually do? Leather would be nice, but not necessary for me.

Paul

Old 02-25-2007, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
i just redid mine with inlandimports uphulsty kit. They came out good and the vinal is of very good quality
Old 02-25-2007, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
I had a local guyt her do mine. They look awesome. He recovered them in black Microfiber and they look great. I'll post pics one of these days.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 02-25-2007, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

www.worlduph.com

www.autosintl.com

Both sell kits for your car.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I used World Upholstery and had excellent results. I did the work myself and was very pleased with the outcome. They have them in vinyl or in leather and can macth the color and style of the orginal. They are a little pricey compared to some of the knock off's but the quality is there. Either way make sure you replace or build up the foam padding. I swapped the passenger side seat bottom for the drivers due to the amount of wear/compression and was very pleased with the outcome.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
THE IRONMAN

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by porsche930dude
i just redid mine with inlandimports uphulsty kit. They came out good and the vinal is of very good quality
Do you have pics...I am interested to go with that option...!

<IN GAS WE TRUST>
Old 02-25-2007, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Paul,
Here are mine done in leather from leatherseats.com. Great product, great price, and good people to work with.

Sean
Old 02-25-2007, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Inland imports covers bought off ebay. Keep in mind i installed these myself having no previous experience. They have a few waves here and there but its also 25 year old foam. They should smooth out a bit too once the sun hits them. Its 25 degrees out. Im very satisfied with them they seem more like leather than the original dried out skins did
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 02-25-2007, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I am also planning to do the seat recover thing.

I have gotten the leather samples from World Uphostery & Trim, and requested but not received samples from leatherseats.com.

I think I'll go with the leather from WU&T. The pair is $990.00. I have found the original seat foam for my sport seats in Germany, which will be here hopefully in a few weeks. I hope to have everything done by late March. If anyone wants, I'll post pictures.

I know I'm not going to do the replacement myself. It's very difficult to get the top and bottom of the seats apart without the right tools. I also want the bottom leather cover to be stitched to the bottom foam, and I don't have the right needles, stitching cord, steam generator, etc. And I'm really picky about results, so I know I will want it to not have any wrinkles.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
THE IRONMAN

Garage
Porsche930dude...is it too much indiscrete to ask you how much you pay for that vinyl kit...I am still interested by that....Thanks...Syl

<IN GAS WE TRUST>
Old 02-25-2007, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
it was 250$ shipped cant beat that even comes with the hog ring pliers and rings. The only thing i did extra was sew a hem on the center flaps so i could run a coat hanger through and hog ring them to the springs. I dont know why they didnt do it from the factory? The hardest part was ringing the backs to the springs from the bottom. It wasnt too bad. do a search youll find tons of good reveiws on here. The ones i got are on ebay now item #270091094144

Last edited by porsche930dude; 02-25-2007 at 04:50 PM..
Old 02-25-2007, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I used the same kit from Inland. I gave up installing them myself half way through the first seat. The hog ring plies were tearing up my hands. Took them down to a local shop and they did a wonderful job installing the kit for $200. They are a nice alternative to OEM.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Recovering Front Seats - 1985 Porsche 911

See my project description posted above.

It was an '85 with 928 electric seats. If no electric it is relatively easy.

Inland seems to be good source. I got mine off ebay Cypok (?) out of NYC but I think he makes them for Inland.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
THE IRONMAN

Garage
Thanks...I will check that inland imports's products...!

<IN GAS WE TRUST>
Old 02-26-2007, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: