Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Rear Wheel bearing replacment

I am rebuilding the entire suspension on a 82' SC and I have the alum trailing arm off the car and I need help in how to remove the wheel hub so the bearing can be replaced.

I have read the post by mmasse on 7/22/06 titled "rear wheel hub removal" and I am confused.

1. Where is this lg nut that needs to be removed? (please no jokes that I am the nut ;-)

2. I guess that after I get the hub and bearing out, freeze the new bearing and it basically slides into the trailing arm. Then I need to make a threaded rod thing to "pull" the hub into the bearing?

3. Does anyone have any pics of hub removal & install, bearing removal & install, tools to do such?

Pic attached in a minute of what I have.

Thanks everyone!!
Bob

Old 04-25-2007, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bye, Bye.

My understanding is the bearing has to be pressed out and pressed in with a special tool, which may be cost prohibitive for the average owner to purchase. I took my aluminum arms down to my wrench and had him to it.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks Scott! I will check Pelican site for any tools that may be offered and if big $$ I will take your advise.

So are you saying that the hub removal & install requires a press?

I do have a press but don't know where to begin to press something out to disassemble this.

Thanks, Bob
Old 04-25-2007, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I take the hub out with a slide hammer while the trailing arm is still on the car. Then use a combination of Home depot bought items to pull the old bearing out. Its pouring here or I'd go out and take pictures. Use the search as there are other pictures here of the home made puller. Essentially its a threaded rod with some large circular item on the back end and pvc pipe and washers on the other end. The pvc has to be big enough for the bearing to be pulled in to. You tighten from the outside and pull the bearing out into the big piece of pvc pipe. I also heat the trailing arm around the bearing with a torch prior to pulling the bearing.

Last edited by lally911; 04-25-2007 at 05:02 PM..
Old 04-25-2007, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

For new bearing install I deep freeze the bearings over night, then heat up the trailing arm. The frozen bearings slide right in most of the time. I've had to press in one bearing that just wouldn't go in with the first method.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Large nut might refer to a Carrera - I think they have a big ol' nut there. Was that the car in the thread you cited?

Seen this?
Rear Wheel Bearing Removal

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 04-25-2007, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

WOW!! Hard to swallow $230 for the tool...

if possible Keith, can you post pics of the tool you used and/or the link that describes it. I hear you that it is pouring out...it is raining here also in MA. (I am poor when it comes to computer searching ...I usually dont get my pictures to post but I got lucky this time)
Bob
Old 04-25-2007, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

WOW!! Hard to swallow $230 for the tool...

if possible Keith, can you post pics of the tool you used and/or the link that describes it. I hear you that it is pouring out...it is raining here also in MA. (I am poor when it comes to computer searching ...I usually dont get my pictures to post but I got lucky this time)
Bob
Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks Randy. Is the link you posted for a Carrera on a SC or is it the same for both?

I hope you have cracked the code with posting this. That is great info.

Regarding the "big nut", maybe what ever I read it was about removing the brake rotor? My alum arms have been sitting around for a long time and I am trying to get all of the powdercoat stuff together and off to the coater and the arms I am clear powder coating.

Thanks!
Bob
Old 04-25-2007, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Here is a picture that resembles mine. Also the thread that describes it.

Rear Wheel Bearing Removal

I also use the Lisle bearing/race kit available at PepBoys for about $30. These go on the threaded rod and fit either the inner race or outer depending on installing or removing.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks Keith!! Your link is the same as Randy's.

My next (and last) question is: Is this removal & install process for a SC or Carrera OR is it the same for both?

Thanks everyone. I will post pics of my doin' it if this is proper for an SC.

Bob
Old 04-25-2007, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

It should be the same for both.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

thanks guys!! I will start prying and pulling tomorrow night.

PLEASE ADVISE If "SC" is different than "CARRERA" for this task.

I will post pics tomorrow PM with the tool pcs and progress... stay tuned.

Bob
Old 04-25-2007, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I've just healed up from my suspension rebuild. The slide hammer will remove the hub and the inner race of the bearing. I went with a more primative method of pounding it out. Of course, removing the inner race from the hub required taking the hub to work and having one of the machinists press it off. Payment was a dozen donuts. Removal of the remainder of the bearing was accomplished with applying some heat [Mapp torch] to the aluminum and use of the home made tool that was mentioned above. The inner monoballs were also removed at this time. After cleaning the bannana arm to factory clean I re -installed the bearings. I had cooled the bearings in the freezer over night and used heat on the arms. I tapped the outer race of the bearing into to arm and once I was satisfied that it was going in straight used the home made tool to pull the bearing into place. Lack of proper tools made the task a bit more difficult then it had to be. Because I didn't have a press I decided to have my mechanic press the cleaned and painted hub into the bearing.
The following link has a good step by step in the tech section,
http://www.schattenbaum.org/
The upside of all this labor was I was able to spend sometime reburbing the e-brakes.
Own a gun and you can rob a bank , own a bank and you can rob the world.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Used User

Oddly enough, the best treatise on rear bearing removal/replacement on the pre-Carrera cars is in the 914 Tech section here at Pelican
Old 04-25-2007, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

thanks Keith. We'll see tomorrow how this works on the SC. I won't hold you responsible if I screw up...or anyone else for that matter ;-)

thanks again guys for providing, as usual, a plethora (sp) of GREAT info.

Lets hope the el-cheapo route (Home Depot psc) work well enough for me to not bugger this up.

I'll post my progress tomorrow PM.

Bob
Old 04-25-2007, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
After reading this I feel like a Neanderthal. I used a big hammer and punch to drive them out. Being very careful to not nick the edges in the arm. I'm planning to have someone else press in the new ones. Don't want to take a chance on screwing up the new bearings.
1999 F350 Diesel Crew Cab - Tow Beast
1990 Airstream 36' Land Yacht - Home Away From Home
Old 04-25-2007, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Bob,
I thought I would share some pictures with you showing just how fast things can get out of control. I was just going to replace the front and rear bushings and lower the car.......

Own a gun and you can rob a bank , own a bank and you can rob the world.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

LLLLLLLLLLLL OOOOOOOOOOOOO LLLLLLLLLLLL !!!!!!!!!!

I am on the same unbelievably slippery slope...I can't stop with the while your in there. It is totally unbelievable isn't it!!

Ron: Where did you send your cad work to and is that yellow cad or yellow zinc chromate?

Your parts look beautiful. I hope to be there in a month or so...

Also doing ALL suspension rebuild...all I wanted to do was clean it up a little....LOL till I blow the budget

Bob
Old 04-26-2007, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

ok guys...here we go.

#1 I cannot remove the wheel hub. Now granted I am not hercules but I am no weakling. How can I remove this??

The first pic shows the tool purchase. As always, I bought what was said to i.e. $28. So, since I was feeling so fruegal vs the oe tool, I splurged on ALL the other size metal couplers and BOUTGHT 2 OF MOST OF THEM to the tune of $39.00. When will this stop... boy I love this stuff ;-)

I am awaiting fro help guys...Thanks! Bob
Pics coming next

Old 04-26-2007, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: