Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
The finally completed project

Old 08-26-2016, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Looks great Rick!
'73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
'78 911SC backdate
Old 08-27-2016, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Old thread, but an interesting concept if it could be used on my '88 coupe.
Has anyone installed pop-out windows on a late model 85 - 89? Is there an actual kit available?
I have the pop-outs on my '70 VW bug and they really do improve air flow. Would be a neat item to have on the Porsche as well.
Yukon Yellow
Old 01-09-2019, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Pop Out Quarter Windows

Thanks to all who took the time to contribute to this tech thread. I need to complete this project soon.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Question about the B-pillar tabs

So, waking this thread up. Looking at Techweenie and Clay-O's photos in this thread, you can see two sets of tabs protruding from the slots in the B-pillar, on what is assumed to be a pre 1977 car originally equipped with pop out quarter windows.

Now, its been about 30 years since I have removed a 911 pop-out quarter window, but I seem to remember that those tabs were tapped to receive the flex-hinge retaining bolts. This allowed those tabs to act as a clamp, securing the flex-hinges of the quarter window.

Those tabs do not appear to be present in the later cars once the spot welds are drilled out and the later B-pillar sheet metal removed, although the slot is certainly there. Which brings me to my question. What IS there in the later B-pillar that is sandwiching the flex-hinge of the quarter window? Are you simply running a sheet metal screw into an inner piece of metal in the B-pillar?
Old 10-29-2019, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

The plates are still there under the spot welded L-bracket. The little tabs on those plates were removed, presumably to accommodate the new L-bracket. I don't believe the tabs did anything other than make it a little easier to slide the hinge into their slots.

As mentioned, the plates just need to be tapped.

As for the c-pillar, my 83SC didn't have these plates. Some have used riv-nuts in the through-holes in lieu of the missing threaded plate. It wouldn't seem to allow for any adjustment but maybe not necessary.

The early interior/exterior trim pieces need to be sourced as well.

Hope that helps.
Tim K
Old 11-04-2019, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Thanks Tim. That's good news. I had already sourced all of the parts needed, including all of the trim, screws, etc. It's interesting that the plates are still in there on the later models. It's also surprising that they bothered to change the stamping of the plates, removing the tabs, rather than simply eliminating them. My guess is that the plates lend a structural aspect to the B-pillar.
Thanks again.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Bottom line, I removed the pop-out quarter windows last Fall for an interior rework and now can't find the bolts that screw into the B-Pillars. Anyone happen to know what size they are?

Last edited by Ryan_Cunningham; 04-02-2020 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: .
Old 04-02-2020, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Cunningham View Post
Bottom line, I removed the pop-out quarter windows last Fall for an interior rework and now can't find the bolts that screw into the B-Pillars. Anyone happen to know what size they are?
I think the thread OP mentioned an M8 tap? (not sure if you meant different bolts):

Install pop out rear quarter windows
Old 04-02-2020, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbecker1234 View Post
I think the thread OP mentioned an M8 tap? (not sure if you meant different bolts):

Install pop out rear quarter windows
Those were actually to the C pillar. I have those ones. In step 10 he states...

"10. Screw in b pillar bolts or screws."

Was just wondering if someone might know off hand. Went through my Haynes manual and couldn't find it. Guess I'll just buy a bunch and try 'em all!
Old 04-02-2020, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I have all of these parts if someone is interested in doing this project...
I have them for sale in the 911 classifieds section... lmk, thx, Bob

fs 3 pairs Rear Pop Out Windows, latchs, trim, verticle posts, pair Windows Long Hood

Old 04-29-2020, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: