Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
89 G50,..something's "moved or loose"

Greetings to all,

Productive day with the 89 coupe,..taking care of many side items,...ending on a (somewhat) bad note........need you guys' insight before I embark.

Today's drive produced something in the G50 shifter that doesn't feel right...(BTW,..today's work had NOTHING to do with the shifter...). At a red light,....placing shifter into 1st,..preparing to GO,..I noticed something felt as if something loosened within the shifter...she's going in all gears just fine yet there's more lateral movement (left/right) while in neutral. While pulled over on the interstate, I noticed that when moving the shifter left to right (neutral), I can hear a slapping (if you will) of what seems to be metal tapping metal that was not there before. This shifter and tranny have been working flawlessly previously. I headed on down the road, carefully and sensitively, noting that she's getting in the gears just fine,.still quite nervous that something just loosened,..I carefully headed home to be distracted with the non-Porsche activities for the remainder of the afternoon, unnattending to my new-found problem.

I've spent much time this evening reviewing many great posts, particularly on the console removal, linkages, etc. and am prepared to indulge tomorrow (Memorial day).

Guys,..which part (in PET) on this shifter may have loosened (or broken)? The sound (when moving the shifter while in neutral to the far right (((TAP))) seems to eminate from under the E-brake area. GEEEEZE,..I hope that only some screw or something has come loose and can be tightened...maybe she's now free to move within the tube?

Maybe you experienced fellows already know what has "taken' place"....

I hope my description is sufficient and not too confusing.

Delicate shifting provides all of the normal excitement she's always had...just that this lateral slop is not at all normal,..that's for sure.

Thanks in advance for insightful observations.

My best

1989, Carrera 911, 3.2L, G50, S.A. Edition
25th Anniversary Special Edition
Middle Georgia
Old 05-27-2007, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I might add that the lateral slop can be felt while in gear,..slightly..

Thanks again, guys,
Middle Georgia
Old 05-27-2007, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'd bet the bushing.....mine went kaput too....here's a good thread about that:

G-50 transmission gear shifter loose

I don't remember what mine acted like, but I remember I could tell something wasn't right.

Hope that's it. Easy fix and cheap.

Jason
88 CAB
Old 05-27-2007, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
thanks, cicsprog..I'll have a read............still curious: so this shift rod bushing would allow this lateral SLOP I'm feeling?

Best,
Middle Georgia
Old 05-27-2007, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Before removing the console and tearing into the shifter, you may want to inspect the coupler (access panel under carpet aft of the e-brake).
Old 05-27-2007, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

From the sound of it, I suspect that the hard plastic shift rod bushing (950 424 224 03) went to the tunnel in the sky. I think that there are two: one in the shift housing and one in the tunnel. Just buy the whole kit that PP sells and do all of the plastic bushings and o-rings at once.

G-50 shift tower bushings

The tapping you hear is the shift rod hitting the shift housing and/or the sheetmetal shift rod support built into the tunnel.

All in all, an easy fix and one you likely won't have to do again for 100k miles.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
good point Eric. I will do just that (first)

Crachian: thanks for your observations. I now have my Bentley back in hand this A.M. and am studying the layout presently....

Thanks again, guys. Let's see how this ends...

Best
Middle Georgia
Old 05-28-2007, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
My shift suddenly got sloppy in 3-4th. Turned out to be the ball cup. See: this thread
Old 05-28-2007, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
And what was the answer to your last post in stated thread? Just curious..

Thanks for the info.....still trying to decipher the part numbers ..

Best,
Middle Georgia
Old 05-28-2007, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Put the new ball cup onto the ball and then install into the shifter. I used a little white lithium grease and it popped right in.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, Joe.
Middle Georgia
Old 05-30-2007, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Hi, this happened to me today. Exactly as first post described it. its certainly 950-424-224-03 the white plastic bushing, as it is broken in half. The PO replaced this days before I bought (2000 miles ago), is that a complete fluke or could something else be going on??

Thanks,

B.

1987 911 Carrera
2001 Volvo XC70
Old 08-13-2007, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crachian View Post
Just buy the whole kit that PP sells and do all of the plastic bushings and o-rings at once.

G-50 shift tower bushings

The tapping you hear is the shift rod hitting the shift housing and/or the sheetmetal shift rod support built into the tunnel.

All in all, an easy fix and one you likely won't have to do again for 100k miles.
Is the kit you are referring to 10-1518-090-M230 (G50 Improved Operating Shaft & Bushing Kit)

Thanks,

Bjorn

1987 911 Carrera
2001 Volvo XC70
Old 08-13-2007, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronnzy View Post
Is the kit you are referring to 10-1518-090-M230 (G50 Improved Operating Shaft & Bushing Kit)Thanks,Bjorn
No, that is for you clutch release fork. What we are talking about are two plastic bushings in the shift and shift linkage. Both can be gotten to from inside the car and are very easy fixes. Click the link that I posted on 5/28
Old 08-13-2007, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Ding Ding Ding - Viewer discretion advised!

Well sir, you are correct!

Here is the culprit...

Here we see old bones in the bushing grave yard.

What is this all about??? The previous owner replaced this days before I bought the car, less then 2k miles ago. Why would it break again? I can't find the broken piece of the new white bushing, but look at all the broken bits in the bottom of the casing.

1987 911 Carrera
2001 Volvo XC70

Last edited by Fronnzy; 08-14-2007 at 06:43 AM..
Old 08-13-2007, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I just went through this in my 88 911. This must be age related ! I replaced all the bushings in there....hey, while you're in there. I used Super Lube on everything, shifts
really nice now. I replaced the bushing #12 above and the ball joint bushing, also the
"O" rings #11
Old 08-14-2007, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: