Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.86 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

M Logo Lights

http://www.agriemach.com/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=434

This is the link to a site that sells bolts that contain a LED lite designed for license plates. There are numerous Sport Bike after market turn signal lights that would be far less noticeable. IMO

History is the lie we all agree to..........
Old 11-20-2007, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8_ranch View Post
Also, I would love to see anyones ideas on the bumper shock or euro crushtubes attachment. I was thinking of making my own crushtube out of rolled up expanded lathe of some sort. I know someone else did their own crush tubes also, but not sure how they did it...
I am planning on a little bumper project myself and had planned to make a set of tubes, that are similar to the Euro crush tubes, out of aluminum. I bought all of the material needed and had just gotten started when I had a better idea.

There are captive nuts for two bolts, in the structure that attaches the crush tubes to the chassis, that hold the bracket at the front of each tube. See picture below. My new plan is to make a bracket that attaches to these two points, in lieu of building the aluminum crush tubes.

JR

Last edited by javadog; 11-20-2007 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-20-2007, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Another Idea

I tried, using an extra rear bumper to reduce the amount that bumper stuck out or protruded.

I had a set of old bumper shocks which I drilled holes in and released the gas and fluid. This left the shock "adjustable". I mounted the new adjustable shock to the frame and mounted the bumper to the shock. By pushing the bumper in I was able to recess to rear bumper approx 1 inch into the body of the car.

Then I trimmed an equal amount from each end of the bumper and re drilled the holes for the accordion's. The bumper does not protrude as much and the over-all length of the car is reduced.

But with every good idea there are two problems. The accordion's did not fit correctly and my exhaust system will need to be modified in order for the bumper to clear it.

I believe that a similar operation could be done to the front bumper. The neat thing about it would be that without another Porsche to compare it to, it would be very hard for someone to figure out what was done.

History is the lie we all agree to..........
Old 11-20-2007, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to P-Dawger
Quote:
Originally Posted by si Banker View Post
http://www.agriemach.com/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=434

This is the link to a site that sells bolts that contain a LED lite designed for license plates. There are numerous Sport Bike after market turn signal lights that would be far less noticeable. IMO

These work - but need to be modified. They are too long and stick out the back to far. You need to be careful when you cut them down not to damage the wires which are "siliconed" in. It is doable but takes patience.

This is the cleanest look by far vs. the side mount lights which breaks up the lines of the smooth bumper.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

The pics of the cured jb weld shows well delineated holes and the mods to the bumper shocks had to open up one hole because it is close to the tube and couldn't get a nut on the bolt. Jerry
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Here are the last pics from fab and fit up I will take it to get welded soon.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 11-20-2007, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
gsmith660, I see that you are using a 2 bolt reconnect. I can't see how you are going to not have the bolt heads visible on the outside of the bumper. Unless you are you using the holes in the bumper to align the bolts for a good fit of the bumper shocks during welding, and then after the plate and bolts are welded from the inside, you will then fill the holes on the outside?

jhubs
Old 11-20-2007, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Plotter and C.R.A.P.per

So when are you ripping off your bumpers Jerry!?

I bet you could find a set for under $200. Not to run it in, I was luck enough to find someone a couple of hours away clearing out the garage! Cost me 200 miles were of gas... which in my wife's Suburban is about $1500, whoa, should have done the math first... oops.

- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 11-20-2007, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhubs View Post
gsmith660, I see that you are using a 2 bolt reconnect. I can't see how you are going to not have the bolt heads visible on the outside of the bumper. Unless you are you using the holes in the bumper to align the bolts for a good fit of the bumper shocks during welding, and then after the plate and bolts are welded from the inside, you will then fill the holes on the outside?

jhubs
Thats correct the bolts show right now for fit up then they will recess into the holes and get secured with more jb weld I hit the filled holes with a hammer and nothing happened to the jb weld so it is good and strong.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
gsmith660, What kind (head) of SS bolts and diameter (mm) are you using? Great news about the JB Weld!

v8, I don't know when I will tear the rear bumper off yet. I am writing a book and I need to get some stuff done before Jan.1st. No writers block or anything, just organizational stuff and a little writing. I'd rather work on the car, but I signed a contract to have the book finished in June of 08.

Besides, I want to see how gsmith660 does this!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

I used these guys:

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/DEI_lightnbolts.htm

and just used the old wiring. Drilled one hole behind the plate and ran them to both. You can use any plate you want.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Grade 8, 8 mm bolts I am not using SS because this weld doesn't need that much shear strength. I am thinking of trying an experiment using a product from Eastwood company called alumiweld it is a process that is kind of like soldering aluminum together using a chemical process that takes much less heat than heliarc or Tig. I am waiting for the company to send me some technical info on the strength of the weld verses the conventional methods. The kit is 24 for the basic kit and 44 for the advanced kit that has putty to keep the heat uniform better but that is still better than the quote I got to weld up my adapters from a guy I know is giving me a good price.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

89911 those lights look real good I am considering those also I have a long time to decide as the guy who is painting my car wont do it till this spring so the paint can cure perfectly he will not paint unless the conditions are perfect ie temp. ,humidity ,the stars must align ,and the tide must be right for him to spray 500 a gallon paint on any car! Kidding aside he is very good and very busy and is very picky about how the car is and when he paints. He is worth it!
Old 11-22-2007, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
...I have a long time to decide as the guy who is painting my car wont do it till this spring so the paint can cure perfectly he will not paint unless the conditions are perfect ie temp. ,humidity ,the stars must align ,and the tide must be right for him to spray 500 a gallon paint on any car! Kidding aside he is very good and very busy and is very picky about how the car is and when he paints. He is worth it!
But, please keep posting photos of your processes, like filling, grinding, sanding, finishing, etc. up until the bumper goes to paint. I also have a "classic car painting guru guy" that will probably paint my bumper(s) too, but he has a temp/humidity controlled paint booth, so I hope he can do it when I'm ready. I am considering painting myself, but I have no experience and no warm facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89911 View Post
I used these guys:

and just used the old wiring. Drilled one hole behind the plate and ran them to both. You can use any plate you want.

I went to (and saved) the web site, but was wondering which of the 2 styles of lights that are listed, you purchased for your car? LOVE your bumper!!! Perfect!!!!!

Jerry

Last edited by jhubs; 11-22-2007 at 09:10 AM..
Old 11-22-2007, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89911 View Post
I used these guys:

Here are the two choices: Which one did you get?
DEI, Lite'N Boltz License plate Kit - Satin Finish-$22.84 or
DEI, Lite'N Boltz License plate Kit - Polished Finish-$25.75?

Sorry to be such a pain...but, want to avoid returns and postage costs.

Jerry
Old 11-22-2007, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

I used the ones to the right with the satin finish. They have held up well. 3 years and no issues. The bumper change was one of the most satisfying mods I have done. I look back at pictures with the old one on and it just looks too busy and heavy.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, the $22.84 Satin Finish it is. I will order tomorrow!

Jerry
Old 11-22-2007, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

I modified mine this morning. Minus another 15 pounds and counting.
Dave
Old 11-22-2007, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Decided to use the alumiweld system with 33000 psi tensile strength and 18000 psi shear strength I think it will work well for a bumper bracket and even if I get hit and it break that bleeds off energy from the impact so it will help the car overall. Will try to snap some pics of the process.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
I noticed that some of the bumper mods have a dimple where the rubber strip was and your bumper does not have that dimple. Could you explain? Thanks! Jerry

Old 11-23-2007, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: