Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.86 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhubs View Post
I noticed that some of the bumper mods have a dimple where the rubber strip was and your bumper does not have that dimple. Could you explain? Thanks! Jerry

The dimple looks like some deformation from welding? Ususally just a few bolt holes that need filled and leveled.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Here is the bumper prior to the work.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, Then it must be that some years had the "dimple" and other years did not.
I dont mind it, but I was just wondering. Your photo shows that your unfinished bumper did not have the dimples to start with.

This is not my car...

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 11-24-2007, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Plotter and C.R.A.P.per

gsmith, any new updates on your bumper project?

- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 12-08-2007, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

I think it would look nice if the accordian rubber was removed and the next bit of metal was fabricated to meet and slightly overlap the bumper.

That red bumper is nice. More like waxed than shaved.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

only update is the alumaweld didn't work well I suspect it is because it is a large heatsink and would work well on small projects. I am now going to get it TIG welded the guy who will do it will wait till he has a head to repair and only setup once.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 12-09-2007, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

What would the rear section look like upside down?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Milt, the rear bumper is not symmetrical. The top lip is about 1-2 inches deeper than the bottom. But, as I have seen here, anything is possible.
Do you mean to flip the bumperettes also, or go with a shaved look?
Bill K
Old 12-09-2007, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Bumper going to get welded today I will post pictures of the completed welds and the finish jb weld work.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 81turboporsche
do you have any side pics of the bumper where it meets the rear quarter panel,im getting my car out of the body shop next weekend and im warming over alot of ideas,that look is clean and beautiful and im pretty impartial to deleting those bumperettes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Mine is going to still have the bellows so there is still some functionality of the bumper as an impact bumper but all the other rubber is gone and holes will be filled.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Garage

The lighting is realised with the factory parts , just adapted in the bumper .

Last edited by cdrik915; 01-30-2008 at 07:59 AM..
Old 01-30-2008, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89911 View Post
I used these guys:

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/DEI_lightnbolts.htm

and just used the old wiring. Drilled one hole behind the plate and ran them to both. You can use any plate you want.

The ultimate in clean looks - best I've seen yet! Doubt it can get much better than that. The plate lights are what makes it work.
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 01-30-2008, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Perfect timing for this to re-emerge... I am in the process of cleaning up my rear bumper. Assuming that I am not going to weld studs to the back, what type of fasteners are you guys using to secure to bumper to its traditional crash tubes? Obviously I would prefer the most unnoticable types.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

I got brackets welded to the inside of the bumper and popped out the studs on the shock tubes and am using jb weld to fill the holes and secure bolts in the stock holes I will post pics when I get the bumper back from the welder and by the way the TIG welding only cost me 15 bucks!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Plotter and C.R.A.P.per

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrik915 View Post

The lighting is realised with the factory parts , just adapted in the bumper .

cdrk, thanks for posting your pic over here. That is one beautiful car. I am interested in seeing more of your plate lights. Can you post some more pics?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Plotter and C.R.A.P.per

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreigsr View Post
those look like the lights that are inserted into the bumperettes. with the factory seals and gaskets in place, they should be okay in the weather.

btw, my bumper is in the shop for paint as we speak. I've got over 150 hours in modifications and adjustments (on and off since mid Nov.), primarily to get some air flow around the turbo, secondarily to lighten the rear up a bit. Actually it was Noah's old silver euro, so my original remains intact.

Bill K
Any teaser pics? 150 hours? That thing sounds like another piece of bumper art on the way...

Old 01-30-2008, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
cycling has-been

teaser - taken mid Dec.

definitely not for everyone, and the end result is quite unique.
on the final version, I tried to retain as some impact protection, so I will be using euro bumperettes and rub strips.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

very cool BKREIGSR.
I wonder how well the factory license plate lights light as in the bumper guards they are perpendicular to the bumper. I used the rub strips also as I like that look and wanted to to match the front bumper.

I used thickened epoxy to fill the bumper guard holes, worked fine.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
Plotter and C.R.A.P.per

I think that will look cool BK

Old 01-30-2008, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: