Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Shifter Adjustment Procedure for 83 SC

Back in January of this year, the Independent Porsche Shop that works (ed) on my 83 SC, stated that the car needed a new "Shifter Rod Coupling 91142402404" for which they charged $119.05 plus $127.50 for installation...

I did not notice that the car was shifting poorly b4 the replacement... Now, after driving the car for a few months, I find that 2nd gear doesn't downshift as easily as b4, and I am constantly "nicking" Reverse on the 5 to 4 downshift...

The 2 to 3 and 4 to 5 upshifts are not as smooth as I remember them to be either...

Soooo....I paid $250.00 (incl. tax) to make my car shift worse than before???

Is there a posted procedure describing how to set up the entire shift linkage for an 83 SC? Shifter is factory stock (no short throws or such). The Indie Shop is several states away, so no good taking it back to them; besides, they messed it up in the first place!

I feel this is within my abilities...just need some guidelines to follow to get 'er done! Thanks in advance!
1968 911L, '73.5 911T, '75 911S SA, '77 911S Targa, and so forth, thru a '90 S2 Cab...
Old 05-30-2007, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There are some good articles on this site under Tech Articles... this one comes to mind shifting improvements

There's probably one as well on how to replace all/most of the bushings. It should cost you a LOT less than what the shop charged you.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

in neutral, loosen the nut/bolt on the rear of the shift rod, at the coupler. then center the shift handle, front to rear, in the shift tower, and hold the handle firmly to the left. then while you're doing that with one hand, reach back and turn the coupler to the right all the way and tighten the nut/bolt. that should do it. the shift handle with it's little lockout ear should now be able to go directly to the right without hanging up on anything in the process. do a minor front/rear adjustment if it does.

Last edited by john walker's workshop; 05-30-2007 at 04:43 PM..
Old 05-30-2007, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Since the wife says I'm dislexic, let me repeat the above instructions to see if I understand them...
Put Shifter in Neutral...(and lift the Boot)
Remove the Cover Plate behind and between the seats...
Locate and loosen the Nut/Bolt combo (is this a lock nut arrangement?) on the rear of the shift rod, at the Coupler (which I paid way too much for!!!)
Center the Shift handle, front to rear, in the shift tower...
Pull the centered shift handle firmly to the Left (Driver's Side) of the shift tower...
Reach back and rotate the Coupler completely to the Right (Drivers Side???) of the car...
Tighten the Nut/Bolt combo on the rear of the shift rod, at the Coupler...
If necessary, try more correctly centering the shift Rod in the shift tower, and repeat the above, until it shifts like a knife thru Hot Butta!!!
Okay, I made that up! Pleae confirm the above, and I will attempt it tomorrow... Thanks very much!
1968 911L, '73.5 911T, '75 911S SA, '77 911S Targa, and so forth, thru a '90 S2 Cab...
Old 05-30-2007, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

John,

When you say center it in the shift tower front to back, do you mean center it travel-wise or make it vertical (or does that equate to the same thing)?

I adjusted my shifter back a bit so that I didn't have to reach ahead as far when going for 3rd and 5th. Ever since then it is possible to nick reverse when going from 5th to 4th. I think I need to adjust it ahead some again by the sounds of this.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Max2.0
Reach back and rotate the Coupler completely to the Right (Drivers Side???) of the car...
Max 2.0,

I'm pretty sure you need to rotate the shift coupler to the passenger side (Right side) of the car. That would be counter-clockwise if you are looking toward the rear of the car.

I'm glad you asked this question, I now have a good idea whats causing my 5th to 4th sensitivity.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Okay, I read the Tech Section articles and I think I understand the process now!!!
When John says "turn the shifter coupler to the Right, he means in a clockwise direction as looking toward the front of the car...
So the shift lever is going to the Driver's Side, and the Coupler is being roatated to the Passengers side of the car!!!
And yes, the lower portiion of the shift rod is to be at 90 degrees in the fore and aft plane, but tipped to the Drivers side during the adjustment process... By Jove, I think I've Got it!!!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Before you remove the bolt nut combo move the gear lever from side to side so that you see what is happening. The coupler will move in the opposite direction to the gear lever( ie: gear lever to the left coupler turns to the right). Look at both the articles in the link I found the second one the easier although they both say the same thing.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Sub'd

- Daily - 2004 Cayenne S
- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 05-30-2007, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Wildman Emeritus

Subd
2009 Suby Forester Wife's
2000 Boxter - Sold
Old 05-31-2007, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
thanks for the great info to JW and all.

subscribed.
'80 911SC Weissach 3.2 Short Stroke Hot Rod
'68 SWB 911T build in progress -The Rat
Old 05-31-2007, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
JW's Instruction....

Quote:
Originally posted by john walker's workshop
in neutral, loosen the nut/bolt on the rear of the shift rod, at the coupler. then center the shift handle, front to rear, in the shift tower, and hold the handle firmly to the left. then while you're doing that with one hand, reach back and turn the coupler to the right all the way and tighten the nut/bolt. that should do it. the shift handle with it's little lockout ear should now be able to go directly to the right without hanging up on anything in the process. do a minor front/rear adjustment if it does.
I got this same instruction from Mr. Walker about 8 years ago and had helped several friends using this method. This procedure is so effective in lining up your gears for easy and smooth shifting. Thanks a lot to JW.

TD
Old 05-31-2007, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Slumlord

Be prepared to make a few attempts at '915 perfection'. Do not give up if it doesn't work the first time, keep trying. And don't remove the rubber boot to make it easier to work in the tunnel. You will only have to undo your perfect setting to re-instal it later.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

cool, this is going to be helpful!

Thanks guys!

1982 SC -- US import it seems ... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 05-31-2007, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hot Knife thru Butta!!!

WOW!!! I had no idea that a simple adjustment as John has given us, could possibly make such a fantastic difference in the shifting of the 915 Tranny!!!

I do not joke when I say it is like I just had a newly rebuilt transaxle installed!!! Every gear is smooth as silk now!

Absolutely NO sticking when downshifting into second...practically falls into place!

3rd and 4th just glide thru, and NO MORE NICKS downshifting for 5th to 4th!!! And Reverse is even easier to access! although it was okay before...

A couple of tips from "Sweaty Guy" (after working in the garage at 88 degree temps and 90% Humidity!)...

First unbury the shift coupler under the carpet and the steel plate at the rear of the cabin. Two 13mm wrenches do the trick to loosen the bolt and in fact it is just that, a pinch bolt!

Then, take a heavy duty rubber band or three, like come on asparagus or broccoli (yeah, i don't like the stuff, but the better half says I gotta eat it. :<((
Wrap the rubber bands securely around the vertical portion of your shifter (after pulling up the boot!).

Align your lower shifter portion vertically, to the left of the car, and 90 degrees from the floor of the car, and secure the ends of the rubber bands under the lip of the mounting flange and over the front and rear bolts that protrude upwards from the shifter base unit. This will keep your lower shifter nice and straight and tight in the desired position.

Then you are free to go to the shift coupler in the access hatch, and grip the coupler through the rubber boot with a shop rag. Try to rotate it from side to side. You will feel it move, rather easily. Should not have to force it. Rotate it as far to the Passengers Side as you can go. Hold it there and get a wrench on the 13mm nut of the pinch bolt. I found that one of those box end ratchet wrenches worked just right for this. Snug the nut down as far as you can. Put another 13mm box end on the bolt head, and lock it against your hand, while ensuring that the shift coupler is still all the way to the Passengers side. Finish tightening the nut down until it will not move further. You will know when it is tight! No need to torque wrench it, but okay if you want to. I would have to look up the torque spec for that nut. I'm guessing 15 lbs. max???
Then replace everything and drive off happily into the sunset! I was seriously thinking maybe I could use a new synchro ring or three...now, Smooth as a knife thru hot butta!!! You gotta do it! In fact, I would not be surprised to find that you could even improve on the original factory position if you did this correctly!
Of course, in my case, a PM had futzed with it and put in a new coupler (which most likely I did not need!!!) so he had screwed the pooch royally in the process... God, I hope he didn't screw up anything else! All runs great, so I will say my prayers tonight!!! Thanks again guys!
Old 06-01-2007, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Slumlord

So you paid $250 for.....

Fill in the blank please.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Now go do a drive by on the wrench......
Old 06-01-2007, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

mikez, you have the right idea! Lets see...40 Cal. S&W, or old school 9mm Browning High Power??? Naahhh, Let's go with the Mariner SS 12 GA., with nine 00 bucks in the mag...

Oh, hell, it's my fault for not asking the right questions before he screwed me!!! Just bend over and get my annual proctological exam!!!

Anyway, I am loving the way the SC drives so much, I just don't care about the $250.00! BUT...I will have a word with the gentleman when I return to FL next winter!!! B4 anyone here has work done in Stuart, FL, drop me a PM and I will fill you in on the details...
Old 06-01-2007, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah....the .40 would be too much. Howz about a flaming bag o'dogschitz?
Old 06-01-2007, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Well I had kind of figured my 1-2 shift was "just the way a 915 shifts", but I have to go try this out tonight. Max. how long did it take you? Does not sound like a long job if everything is handy.

- Daily - 2004 Cayenne S
- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 06-01-2007, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: