Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bulging battery case?

Took my battery out to clean up some of the white stuff down below to prevent corrosion from starting. I've read it may be due to some leakage of acid from overcharging maybe?? I have had some possible regulator issues lately...still not confirmed.

While the battery was out, I noticed some slight buldging of the case; I don't think it was that way when new three years ago.

Hmmm, is my battery trying to explode? Could it, if it was getting overcharged? It is a sealed, maintenance free battery.

Paul
'63 Bug, just because; '57 MGA for the breeze
'96 993 cab (gone, oops); '82 SC (gone, rear-ended)
Old 06-04-2007, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I believe so.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

three yrs was a good ride and a new battery is cheap insurance.
Member #750 Early911S Registry
1970 911E
I know Where Jerry S. has his NYC Garage
Yadda Yadda Yadda
Old 06-04-2007, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

In case you need a new battery, I bought a 100 month battery at Costco for about $60. It fits perfectly.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yes, don't fool with it. If it explodes it could injure you severely, even blind you.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

A battery doesn't usually self-impregnate. An outside force usually causes this, typically overcharging from the alternator or an external charger. I suggest checking the charging system before subjecting the next battery to the same treatment.

Sherwood
Old 06-05-2007, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Get it out of there before is leaks acid all over the trunk. That is not a fun cleanup. And make sure your charging issues are resolved so as not to mess up the replacement battery.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Paul
I had one blow on my boat about a year ago, I thought someone shot a cannon. I am glad I was not in the engine room.

Get rid of it ASAP
You are overcharging.

Ernie 81 SC
Old 06-05-2007, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Seconded...overcharging, it's bulging because hydrogen gas is building up in the case.

Be careful...very careful. That thing is like a bomb. A guy in my club here had one explode last year, lucky he wasn't close by as he could have very easily been blinded or worse. Take it to a battery recycler or a trained disposal place ASAP.

Voltage regulator or alternator? Let us know what you track the problem down to.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Geez,
Maybe I should wrap it in a kevlar vest before I transport it. You guys have me quite worried now.

I feel I shouldn't have driven the car to work today.

Is it better off in the car until I can dispose of it?

Paul
Old 06-06-2007, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Paul

You are acting as if we are all pulling your crank. PLEASE get rid of the battery now. You will not believe the damage this thing can do should it blow. For your sake I hope you are not near it if it lets go. I will admit you are right on one thing--- you should wrap it in a kevlar vest.

Ernie 81 SC
Old 06-06-2007, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Crowther
What part about the battery possibly exploding didn't you understand??

No, you shouldn't have driven it today. Unless you want battery acid all over the inside of your trunk, or risk the thing exploding in your face, get the freakin' battery out of the car ASAP and replace it!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

It's ACID under very high pressure!

Keep sparks away from it. Hydrogen gas is VERY, VERY explosive.

It's like a BOMB.

It will destroy your face, your eyes. The front of your car. If it blows while you're trying to remove it, it could kill you. Seriously. Really.

Take the car to a garage and have them remove it safely and replace it. You need to have them fix the overcharging problem.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Crowther
Geez,
Maybe I should wrap it in a kevlar vest before I transport it. You guys have me quite worried now.

Is it better off in the car until I can dispose of it?

Paul
Paul
On second thought leave it alone and it will dispose of it-- the car that is...

Ernie 81 SC
Old 06-06-2007, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

It's buldged about 1/8-1/4"

Paul
Old 06-06-2007, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
Been there...had the battery explode in a '73T while I was driving. Trust me, you don't want to go there.

Get rid of that sucker now and find out what caused it to expand in the first place.
'66 911 #303872
'07 Cayman
'58 Land Rover S2 88"
Old 06-06-2007, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

And what was THAT like?

Paul
Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

You said it was a sealed maintenance-free battery. Is it a gel battery (like Optima?). Or lead-acid. If it's LA, you may want to heed the advice above.
1954 BMW R25/3
Old 06-06-2007, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Usually this is caused by the battery freezing in the winter. You need to replace it. The plates inside have probably moved around a bit. Thats not a good thing.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Paul

VERY slowly open the hood, try not to stir the air up and remove the battery caps, now since it will be dark take a BIC lighter and light it near the battery. You will then know what Rich is talking about.

Disclaimer: I really am kidding but the way you are taking this I feel you just might do it---dont

Ernie 81 SC
Old 06-06-2007, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: