Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Finally got the hood mounted!

So, finally go the hood mounted. It is a "flat", hood from Rennspeed, that I believe is made by AIR. It took considerable trimming of the the "lip" area thickness to fit.

I elected to use pins instead of the hinges and latch. I used aluminum pins from OMP. The hood is easy to remove and install as it weighs around 12lbs. Just pull the pins and lift it off.

It was a bit of a pain is the A$$ to install as I had to weld brackets in for the upper pins by the windshield, and getting the pins lined up in general is a bit of work. Overall I am happy with it.

I will fair it at a later date, motor fire up and tunning is taking a front seat. I will paint the whole car in the fall/winter this year.

As a side note, I have another set or pins to hold the ductail down. It has "R" hinges so the pins will work great.

Here are some pics.....

Cheers
Old 06-30-2007, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Jeff - this looks very nice. Looks like the gaps next to the fenders look real good so when you get it painted I think you will be very happy with the result.
Regards-
Old 07-01-2007, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What do you gain going to this "flat" hood? Obviously, light weigt.

Wayne
Old 07-01-2007, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Oh Haha
What do you gain going to this "flat" hood? Obviously, light weigt.
Off the top of my head I would think the flat hood would just clean the air flow up.. more areodynamic. I would guess.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I think the aero advantaage would be lost my use of hood pins, but I think aero is the idea behind it. I don't have any of the stock HVAC plumbing so the fresh air vent is not used on my car, so the flat hood made sense to me.

The gaps are a little oversize, but no worse than my MA Shaw ducktial. Car will be primarily a DE car with occasional street use, so I am not too worried about the slightly larger gaps.

Cheers
Old 07-01-2007, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Jeff, You decided to use pins for upper section but can hood accomodate standard hinges? I'm in the market for figerglass hood.
It looks real good to me.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BlueSideUp
Jeff-

Is the MA Shaw duck lighter or heavier than your OE deck lid? Was there a lot of work involved with installing the duck?

Nice work getting the gaps even....I saw an M3 with a composite hood last week and you could drive a truck through the driver's side gap while the passenger's side was really tight.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ed, the hood has inserts in it to bolt onto the hinges, same goes from the front latch. You can't use hood shocks though with a glass hood (or at least you risk cracking it if you do) so I elected to just use the pins so I can take it off.

BlueSideUp, I changed the tail about 3 years ago...... My car had a carrera tail on it before so I did not compare it the weight of a factory steel lid. It is light though, my guess is a little lighter than a stock lid.....

I used wood shims in the gaps while I was lining it all up. Made it easier to set up the pin holes and placement. With the shims you can still move it forward and back to get that set without screwing it up side to side while you align it.

Cheers
Old 07-01-2007, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

"I think the aero advantaage would be lost my use of hood pins" -- not at all.

Beside the lower drag (see the 996, 997, Boxster & Cayman), you also lose a fair amt. of wt. See:
http://www.penaltykicker.com/911/data/

DisAdv's:
You get worse fit tho & worse ventilation plus losing that characteristic ID of the 'true' 911s.

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 07-01-2007, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: