Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Targa seal cloth restoration

I borrowed a pic to show the part, has anybody restored the torn and faded cloth? Pics and method please, its the only part of my SC that looks its age.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I believe you are stuck with the "replacement method" of restoration. This is where you buy a new seal and install it. Probably not the way you wanted to do it as these seals are expensive.

911-565-091-45-M260 is the part number available right here at Pelican.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I use a permanent black marker to restore color, doesn't help with tears but looks better.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I really have no cloth left on one side just some glue residue, The rubber is in good shape. I can strip the faded cloth off the other side, clean the old glue and treat the rubber or recover both in new cloth. Just wondering if anybody went either route and if there are any pics of the results.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I just did this on mine, and it looks GREAT.
Step 1: Take off the side piece (pop the barbed thingy out). Gently pry the side piece out, cutting to free from the main top center seal with a razor blade, right at the seam.
Step 2: peel all that cloth off. You may need to use an xacto to slice gently here. Peel/pry coax it all off. I got some huge pieces off at once, going slowly and working it. Very satisfying!
Step 3: Using basic bumper black (or whatever you can find) it looks like a bottle of shoe polish with a sponge applicator at the top, apply liberally and let dry in the sun. couple coats are fine.

Step 4: reinstall, using a BIT of RTV or similar caulking-type stuff in the channel (clean out the old crap first, of course)

Reinstall the barb thingys, and you're done. Will post a pic of mine when I have a chance. Came out great, not too much work, and only about 7 bucks for the black stuff! Second side looks better than the first, only because I had my technique down on the scraping...

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by porschefool
I just did this on mine, and it looks GREAT.
Step 1: Take off the side piece (pop the barbed thingy out). Gently pry the side piece out, cutting to free from the main top center seal with a razor blade, right at the seam.
Step 2: peel all that cloth off. You may need to use an xacto to slice gently here. Peel/pry coax it all off. I got some huge pieces off at once, going slowly and working it. Very satisfying!
Step 3: Using basic bumper black (or whatever you can find) it looks like a bottle of shoe polish with a sponge applicator at the top, apply liberally and let dry in the sun. couple coats are fine.

Step 4: reinstall, using a BIT of RTV or similar caulking-type stuff in the channel (clean out the old crap first, of course)

Reinstall the barb thingys, and you're done. Will post a pic of mine when I have a chance. Came out great, not too much work, and only about 7 bucks for the black stuff! Second side looks better than the first, only because I had my technique down on the scraping...

Good luck.
Thanks
Old 07-16-2007, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: