Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bfairless Send a message via Yahoo to bfairless
newbie question

I am new to the Porsche world. I have always wanted one and I bought my 84 911 in April. I have done some work to it, like converting the AC to 134a etc.. Recently I had a gas smell and realized it was coming from the fuel injector. After some investigation and rebuilding the fuel injector with a kit I bought from NAPA i realized i would need to replace it. I did and as i was working on it i decided to take the spark plugs out on that side of the engine i was working on (passenger side). One of the spark plugs came out too easy and the spark plug wire was not seated well. I thought hmmm that might improve performance a little bit :-).

I put everything back together and the leak went away but now the car seems a little sluggish from 1000 to 3000 rpms. 3500 to 5500 it runs great. what should i check or is this normal? also is it because i am running my AC more now?

Also, I am having to pause between 1st and 2nd gear all other gears speed shift well, but from first to second is a little dicey. I cant hardly shift down to 1st when moving at any rate of speed either. Are these things normal? I want to do better at my next auto cross. :-) i am hooked after one time!!

thanks.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Sluggish: your car is happiest between 4-6k. It really doesn't even wake up until 3-3500. The funny thing is, the more you thrash it, the better it runs. It takes a little retraining of the mind to get the RPMs up but they are built to run up there all day long.
Speed shift: don't even think about it (especially 1-2). That is the downside of the 915 trans. There are some things you can do to improve it (Search Button) but it will never shift like a Honda.
Downshift to 1st: synchro may be on its way bye bye. Go easy or a trans rebuild will be in your future.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Detached Member

Welcome to the madness

You need to post a picture of your car, otherwise you'll get no love (responses). I have an 84 Targa and did the 134a conversion, with OK results. Don't know what to check, except the plug wire on the decrease performance. And yes, they shift kind of dodgy between 1st and 2nd when they get old something about the synchros, I think. Oh, and buy parts from Pelican if you can, not NAPA.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Welcome to the Forum
You came to the right place to ask .
You will find a lot of help here.

I recommend you step back a bit and do some more diagnosis. Probably a cranking compression test and cylinder leak test would be first on my list. Recording the ignition advance vs. RPM would be another. Im not suggesting any problem, just covering the bases very important in the overall scheme of things.

While you have the sparkplugs out, post images of the business end. I recommend you get a set of inexpensive NGK plugs (BP7ES) to test with.

With the many skilled people on this Forum, you will be able to resolve whatever issue you have.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 07-16-2007, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Welcome!

The 915 gear box is a very old design by Porsche. Even when brand new they were not anything like a Honda box. It uses a special synchronizing design that needs more time and gentle touch. Typically the 1-2 gear change is the worst. Down shifting from 2-1 can be very difficult even at low speed and many have to come to a complete stop. Mine is like that if I try to rush it. When rolling up to a stop, it is sometimes easier to go into first gear before coming to a complete halt, starting to "look for" 1st gear rolling slowly. 1-2 often needs a short pause between gears.

Carrera '85
Old 07-16-2007, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bfairless Send a message via Yahoo to bfairless
here she is. Do you mean that if i am taking off with the RPMs up to 3000 it might bark the tires? Not that i am trying to do that. I am just giving an example of the sluggish response. I think it would be very hard to bark the tires in any gear right now. I don't know if that is how it is supposed to behave.

Oh, by the way I just bought from NAPA because they had the kit and i was wanting to fix it that day.

thanks for all the feedback. i will try to post some pictures of my center vent that i made based on pictures of some of the posts here.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
You might try double-clutching... it's kept my old 71 Firebird tranny running nicely for quite some time. Basically, to downshift: push in clutch, shift to neutral, let out clutch, blip throttle to get tranny internals up to proper speed (a bit higher than it would be if you had the lower gear engaged), push in clutch, shift into gear, blip throttle again if you let the engine rpm drop too low, let out clutch. This will greatly reduce the work the synchro has to do, and it becomes pretty second nature after a while. My G50 coupe doesn't require this technique, but does seem to appreciate it...my wife's 2004 Lexus IS300 absolutely requires double clutching to get into 1st at any speed, and even for 2nd it is often necessary (so much for that Lexus quality...)
Old 07-17-2007, 03:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: