Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Vacuum leak parts list

A shop that worked on my very straight '82 SC told me that they couldn't get the CIS to adjust because it has vacuum leaks. Before I take the injection system all apart, I figure that I should have everything I need to repair it. I don't believe any of the parts that would contribute to this problem have ever been replaced so I'm planning to replace everything. Here's my part list so far:

6 - Rubber intake sleeves
6 - Injector O-Rings
6 - Injector Sleeve O-Rings
6 - Injector Sleeves
6 - Intake manifold gaskets
1 - Throttle body mounting O-Ring
1 - Airbox to sensor housing gasket

Can you fellow Pelicans think of anything I may have missed?
Old 08-26-2007, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Vacuum lines to the distro, vacuum line to the AAV, vacuum line to the cruise unit. Replace rubber lines to the brake booster, and the o-ring at the booster to MC connection. Check for cracks on the under side of the air boot, check for cracks in the AAR/AAV/Decel circuit. Replace the crush ring on the brake booster line to airbox nipple, replace the o-ring on the cold start valve. Clean the throttle body and check for leaks on the idle bypass screw. Also may want to check and replace the line form the air boot to the oil filler neck, it can crack and leak as well.

EDIT: If and when you get done, if you want to borrow my Gunson CO meter to set your mixture let me know, I'm not far form Castle Rock and would be happy to loan it to you.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 08-26-2007, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Fabulous list

Wow, Scott this is great! Sounds like I'm going to be pretty busy buying, checking and replacing. And yes I would like to borrow the CO meter when I get it done.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 08-27-2007, 12:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Do you have a pop-off valve? That's probably the most common vac leak. Check the seal, make sure it's closed tightly.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Interesting that you bring that up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
Do you have a pop-off valve? That's probably the most common vac leak. Check the seal, make sure it's closed tightly.
Mine was actually sitting in the bottom of the airbox when the mechanic opened the airbox. After seeing that, I determined that the design of the base of the valve is really supposed to be flat on the airbox contrary to Wayne's picture in the 101 book. I ground down all the fins in the airbox around the hole so the the valve could sit flush, really roughed up the two surfaces and then mounted the valve with a generous quantity of JB Weld. It ain't going anywhere now. Car still runs like crap however. But at least that valve is in there to stay. And the seal seems very good on the valve flapper.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Tried to Google it by model no

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninLB View Post

Ronin:

I tried to Google this by model number and nothing came up. What company makes it? Other similar units cost from $300 to $400. I'd need to be careful that I don't spend more chasing down the leak than it would cost to replace everything.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

And don't forget the airbox itself. They can leak around the seam. Looking for the airleak with a propane bottle might save you some money in the long run, unless you just want to do preventative maintenance by replacing every possible thing that might be leaking........

The propane test has been covered on the forums. Try a search, and if you can't come up with something, post back to the thread and someone will help out.
(73 911T (RS look) coupe)
(Misc. 911 Parts for Sale)
Old 08-27-2007, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You may consider new Hose clamps for the sleeves, its good to have one or two on hand or replace them all.

+1 on the Air box as well, if the pop off was installed wrong then a backfire could have cracked it.

Last edited by snbush67; 08-27-2007 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-27-2007, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuswell View Post

Ronin:
I tried to Google this by model number and nothing came up. What company makes it? Other similar units cost from $300 to $400.

that model is from Snap-On.

similar units from OTC etc.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 08-28-2007, 02:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: