Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Removing 996 interior plastic stuff

So we're the new owners of a '02 996
random pics that YOU have taken.......
and planning a road trip of considerable length next week.

I need to get access to power for satellite radio and the V1.

Any advice for removing the storage tray and hopefully the cassette drawers in the center console below the radio? If not that, how about the radio itself? I was planning on drilling a small hole in the top/back edge of the storage tray to run 12V through.

Also, how about the pod above the windscreen? I've run power for the radar detector from there in all of our other cars but I'm reluctant to just pry at it (something I'm not afraid of doing in my 10 y.o. cherokee).

Any secrets?

Thanks in advance,

mike
'78SC
'02C2
Old 09-15-2007, 06:01 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Have you posed this question with the very active 996 forum over at Rennlist? I guarantee that those guys can answer your question. Here's a link to it. Good luck to you.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=60
2007 Cayman - UNBELIEVABLE weapon on fast, windy roads!
Old 09-15-2007, 08:34 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Well, I haven't registered with rennlist yet but here's the progress I've made:

Wired the V1 from the pod at the top of the windshield. Tapped the hot and ground from the 3-wire connector that goes to the removable (per the owners manual) lighted section. Unfortunately the hot side is not switched with the ignition, but we'll get over having to turn off the radar detector manually. With some gentle effort you can get the wires out along the glass and off to the V1.

I'm still looking for instructions on removing the center console components. Lacking that, I got 12V from the fuse panel and ground from the attachment of the fuse panel to the body (didn't want to put more holes in the body). The hot wire does run outside (visable from the interior) the carpeted panel to join with the ground near the relays. I ran the line up along the HVAC to the center console and tucked the wire under/behind the bottom edge of the carpet towards the shifter. I did a similar routing for the satellite antenna from the passenger side. The sirius unit fits handily in the storage pocket in the console ahead of the shifter.

Comparing the 2002 to my 1978 SC, the interior newer one is _so_ finished - to a fault. I had the hardest time finding a ground near the fuse box. Everything is packed neatly into wrist-sized bundles of wires and there aren't screws everywhere. I miss the ability to simply disassemble and reassemble everything.

Well, hope this info helps somebody searching later....
mike
Old 09-18-2007, 05:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

>I'm still looking for instructions on removing the center console components

I did a console delete on my car, I don't recall "exactly" how, but it was pretty easy - renntech.org is actually the place to look for "how to" on 996 . I think you start by removing the sides of the console (couple of screws) and it gets pretty clear how you remove components from here on, because you can see how they are attached... it's just a bunch of plastic trays, if it helps I can shoot a picture of my dismantled one, for reference...
72 911T "project"
73 BMW 2002 aka "Rust bucket"
Old 09-19-2007, 10:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: