Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rs6er Send a message via Skype™ to rs6er
Can't lock driver's door

I can't get the key to turn the lock on driver's door. Also can't push the lock button down from inside of the car. Help?
Original owner '81 911SC blackmetallic coupe. Terbatrol, SSI, M+K Gen 4, SC+ cams, A/C delete, console delete, heater backdate, 7 & 8 x 16 Fuchs with polished rims, Turbo tie rods, tensioner update, Rennline engine mount bar, Mainely Custom sump plate, new top-end, corner balance.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You'll have to take the door apart and clean up the mechanism . I'd bet that its either the long rod connecting the door key mech to the rotary unlock knob or a seized rotary mechanism .
Old 09-15-2007, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rs6er Send a message via Skype™ to rs6er
Crap. I just hads the whole door apart.
Original owner '81 911SC blackmetallic coupe. Terbatrol, SSI, M+K Gen 4, SC+ cams, A/C delete, console delete, heater backdate, 7 & 8 x 16 Fuchs with polished rims, Turbo tie rods, tensioner update, Rennline engine mount bar, Mainely Custom sump plate, new top-end, corner balance.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have the same problem with my '86 coupe. I called the mechanic but can't get into his shop until the 17th. I may try to dig into it a bit between now and then. If you don't mind, let me know how you do; I will do the same.

MK
Old 10-03-2007, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Agreed - I just went through this. Actually my driver's side door is pretty much still apart (half-reassembled). There's unfortunately no easy way to do it. In order to get the actual latching mechanism out you'll need to COMPLETELY gut the door including the window glass and crank mechanism.

Black Cars Matter
Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I was scheduled to take the car to the shop tomorrow to have them figure out the problem. Continuing my quest to own a 911 on the cheap, I agreed to remove the panel to cut that step out of the process. When I did that, I had an epiphany of sorts. It dawned on me that the door cannot be locked when opened, therefore I could not see what was or was not moving when the door was open, since nothing would move. I had my wife try the key while I sat in the car and felt inside the door panel. The piece that wasn't moving was parallel to the door around the lock. Once I moved that, the lock worked again, as good as new.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
my passenger door started doing this a few months ago. key wont go in. however, if i very gently wiggle the key up and down as i try to put it in, it does go in and it works. if i try to put it in normally, it wont. i have not figured out the real problem yet.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Been working on that all week on the 959. Could be one of many things, you need to remove the door panel and see what's broken in there...

-Wayne
• SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 10-17-2007, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hi
Had the same thing on my 83sc Targa.
Took the panel off and found a spring in the bottom of the door.
Had a fiddle about and it worked again.
But now there is no return on the key and feels like any key would do it(but dose'nt).
Also check when you screwed the door lock up (nob in car) that its not too tight,as this can also make it hard to turn the key.
To lock the door when its open,just push the catch down on the door as if you shut it.
have fun

Paul
Old 10-18-2007, 01:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

another item is the plastic connector between the auto lock solenoid and lock that breaks.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 10-18-2007, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: