Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Pelican Board - Please Forgive My Past Sins and Accept my Penance!!!

It all started about four years ago when my wife made a suggestion to me that finally sunk in. She said "why don't you just sell all of those cars that don't work and just buy one that does." She was indeed, referring to the 911SC, the 356, the 944, and the 914 that were not running (or not running well) at the time, and the Vegas over/under on them getting back on the road anytime soon was poor. So, I sold off a bunch of cars and started looking for an early 911 hotrod to buy.

Well, right after I took her suggestion, she became pregnant. So, I quickly realized that the funds raised from the sale of my "junkers" might go from "car fund" to "college fund". I panicked, big time - since I couldn't find an early 911 worth buying, I went and bought the first nice car I found, offered to me by a friend in Orange County - the Ferrari 308. While I would stop short of calling that purchase a mistake, I would say that over the long run, I was quite disappointed in the car. My wife's current Honda minivan was way faster than that car. When the car was cold, you couldn't make left turns on the road because it had absolutely no low-end torque, and if you didn't rev it high, it would stall, and you would be killed by oncoming traffic. Still, it was indeed one of the best looking cars around, but that really was what it was - all looks and no performance. I had mistakenly assumed that because it was a Ferrari and it was red, that it was also fast and handled well. It literally felt like it handled like a truck. Very stylish, but a very stylish truck.

I found myself not driving it too much. It wasn't terribly enjoyable, and I also felt that it was difficult to get parts for it efficiently and correctly. For some reason, I didn't like working on it. It wasn't too exciting and the car itself was pretty simple. I committed another "sin" on top of the original purchase - I let the car sit for months at a time without driving it.

I did find my 1972 Carrera RS clone at the German Autofest about two years after the purchase of the 308. This indeed, was the car that I was looking for, but couldn't find when I got the 308. I bought it on the spot - the price was very reasonable. This car has had a bunch of little problems, but has been a ton of fun.

Still, I feel I lost a lot of "street cred" with my core passion - the air-cooled Porsches. So, in an attempt to regain my lost credibility with loyal Pelicanites, I would like to humbly introduce the latest member of the Pelican family:

This is a 1987 Porsche 959 that I have "rescued" from an owner who has had it parked for more than 4 years with no significant driving or running. It's in very nice condition, but it is best described as a "project car" - there are many little electrical and computer problems with the car that will need to be worked on. In typical Pelican fashion, I will take many, many pictures and post them here for all to see. I will be working closely with the folks at Callas Rennsport here in Los Angeles, on the restoration and repair of this 959. Callas Rennsport has a bunch of 959 customers, and they have the tools, computers, and manuals needed to wade through the complicated electronics of this car.

I've been working on a deal to acquire this car from the previous owner for more than a year now. Selling off a bunch of other cars, and old parts I didn't need anymore, combined with the sacrifice of my left kidney, and child #1's college fund made it possible. The current computer issues with the car offer some interesting challenges, but also turned away many potential buyers over the past several years, resulting in a significant price break for an adventurous soul who would be willing to tackle them. I may be eating ramin and noddles for the next 10 years, but opportunities like this come along only once in a lifetime.

The 959 indeed is one of Porsche's most mysterious cars - not too many exist on the road, and even fewer currently exist in the US. There's a fellow in our Engine Rebuild Forum that inspired me by posting pictures of his 962 engine removal and teardown. I personally was fascinated by that, as my exposure to the water-cooled / air-cooled race cars is limited. It is my goal to share the photos, stories, and trials of working on this beast (and I may also need the help of the resident electrical experts here when I come up against roadblocks) with the members of the board. Many shops here in the US modify the car significantly - it will be my goal to restore it and maintain it in as "stock condition" as possible.

So, in the next few days, I will be posting the photos of the car from the PPI that Tony Callas and Grant from Callas Rennsport performed on the car. I'm still learning about the car, and I can't wait to share the experience with the rest of you. Someone 3 years ago mentioned something about "101 Projects for your 959" - not quite, but a neat ongoing blog / summary detailing the restoration of this Porsche legend is definitely in order and coming soon!

So, I respectfully ask for forgiveness for my past transgressions away from the Porsche marque, and welcome fellow Pelicanites to share in the restoration of this fine Porsche legend!

Sincerely,

Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Coming in 2014:
• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 10-04-2007, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I01IOI1

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to slodave
I still want that ride!!! Ultimate dream, would be to be behind the wheel

Have fun with it!

Dave

'84 Targa - Arena Red - AX #104
'07 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Yes, I'm that guy...
'01 Toyota Corolla - Urban Camouflage - SOLD
Old 10-04-2007, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Monkey Wrench

JEBUS!!! You don't mess around when you want to get back in the saddle.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Diss Member

It is official...

We have moved on from thumbing our nose at your 308 to now just hating you for getting the ultimate toy. (except for maybe a GT1)

The only penance you can pay is: I want a ride.

--
Wayne - 87 Carrera coupe -> The pooch.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
the Ferrari 308. While I would stop short of calling that purchase a mistake, I would say that over the long run, I was quite disappointed in the car. My wife's current Honda minivan was way faster than that car. When the car was cold, you couldn't make left turns on the road because it had absolutely no low-end torque, and if you didn't rev it high, it would stall, and you would be killed by oncoming traffic. Still, it was indeed one of the best looking cars around, but that really was what it was - all looks and no performance. I had mistakenly assumed that because it was a Ferrari and it was red, that it was also fast and handled well. It literally felt like it handled like a truck. Very stylish, but a very stylish truck.
I'm glad that now that you sold the doggy 308, you can finally admit the truth! Which I posted on many threads, usually to be met with scorn by most. (I also had one, so I knew!). Crappy cars that are no fun to drive. (BTW, I saw your sale on eBay, congrats on getting top dollar for a repainted, over 50,000 mile '78/'79! That sales price was very strong).

959, sheesh, that's "over-penance!" Super cool, esp. since it's a "project" 959. Can't wait to see you dig into it!
Old 10-04-2007, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Student of the obvious

Quote:
Please Forgive My Past Sins and Accept my Penance!!!
Done.

Mazda 3 S Touring Hatchback
Old 10-04-2007, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the
BTW, I saw your sale on eBay, congrats on getting top dollar for a repainted, over 50,000 mile '78/'79! That sales price was very strong.
That buyer backed out. I kept $104.85 of his deposit ($100 in eBay fees, and a $4.85 Jamba Juice fee that I felt I needed to gulp down, in order to counter the disappointment of having to list the car again. I finally sold the car for several thousand less than that.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Coming in 2014:
Old 10-04-2007, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
DP935 member

Thats awsum Wayne.

I love the color combo also.

Tony is a good man and should take good care of your new toy.

Porsche Slantnose M505 M506 group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719995181372494/
Old 10-04-2007, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to village idiot
Let's see I have no kids, no wife and two good kidneys.

Hey Wayne know of any other 959's that are languishing in someones garage??

Nice score! I look forward to the "101 Projects for your Porsche 959" book
78 911SC SC to 73RS imposter SCWDP crew #50 and 51
1969 Camaro "The new project"
Old 10-04-2007, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
That buyer backed out. I kept $104.85 of his deposit ($100 in eBay fees, and a $4.85 Jamba Juice fee that I felt I needed to gulp down, in order to counter the disappointment of having to list the car again. I finally sold the car for several thousand less than that.

-Wayne
At least it's gone.

Has it fully sunk in that you own a 959?!? Such a rare beast, and such an icon.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
Has it fully sunk in that you own a 959?!? Such a rare beast, and such an icon.
Not quite. Date night with the wife was tonight - I'm more shocked that I managed to convince her that this was a good idea. When we were in Hawaii, I did take her to the Tiffany's store in Kaanapali, and I told her to pick out anything she wanted (a risky gamble). She couldn't find anything - *whew*.

What's neat about the car is all of the unique stuff that I have *never* seen anywhere before. Stuff in the toolkit, the gauges, the dials, the shock setup - really, really unique stuff that looks sortof like Carrera stuff, but is uniquely different. I've been to a *lot* of swapmeets, and I've seen a *lot* of unique stuff, but almost everything on this car is new to me. Fascinating - take a look at the photos of the gauges...

-Wayne
Coming in 2014:
Old 10-04-2007, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
I01IOI1

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to slodave
Wayne, is the 959 sitting in your garage now? Are you sitting in your garage w/laptop staring at it?

'84 Targa - Arena Red - AX #104
'07 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Yes, I'm that guy...
'01 Toyota Corolla - Urban Camouflage - SOLD
Old 10-04-2007, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
durn for'ner

I think it appropriate that the Head Pelican sits in a 959. Rocket science but still semi air/oil cooled. Good for you, Wayne - congrats on aquiring a true piece of legendary Porsche history.

I actually had my own moment in a brand new silver 959 in 1988. A very wealthy friend of my (then) step dad bought one for himself and one for his brother! I was 22 years old and as many of us a hardcore Porsche fan since childhood. Having the sudden possibility of not only see and touch a new 959 in the metal was unbelievable. It was a moment to cherish. Would you like to take a ride in her? I think I wet my pants even before entering the car.

He took me for a good hours drive in the country and on the free way. I remember a complete feeling of awe. The accelleration was not of this world. Remember this was in 1988 and the car was brand new so the 3.9 sec quote for 0-100 kmph was probably correct. Turning out on the free way he floored the loud pedal. We were already doing decent speeds, but the darn thing ripped lose the tires and took off like a rocket. Pinned to the back of the seat we past 260 kmph in a blink of an eye. It was and still is and probably will ever be THE car moment of my life. My age, my passion and a brand new 959 is a combination hard to beat.

Sex has never been even close.

(Spell Check kaput - sorry)

Carrera '85
Old 10-05-2007, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slodave View Post
Wayne, is the 959 sitting in your garage now? Are you sitting in your garage w/laptop staring at it?
Funny, we think alike. I already went back once tonight to show it to the wifey. She wasn't terribly impressed.

-Wayne
Coming in 2014:
Old 10-05-2007, 12:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livi View Post
I think it appropriate that the Head Pelican sits in a 959. Rocket science but still semi air/oil cooled. Good for you, Wayne - congrats on aquiring a true piece of legendary Porsche history.

I actually had my own moment in a brand new silver 959 in 1988. A very wealthy friend of my (then) step dad bought one for himself and one for his brother! I was 22 years old and as many of us a hardcore Porsche fan since childhood. Having the sudden possibility of not only see and touch a new 959 in the metal was unbelievable. It was a moment to cherish. Would you like to take a ride in her? I think I wet my pants even before entering the car.

He took me for a good hours drive in the country and on the free way. I remember a complete feeling of awe. The accelleration was not of this world. Remember this was in 1988 and the car was brand new so the 3.9 sec quote for 0-100 kmph was probably correct. Turning out on the free way he floored the loud pedal. We were already doing decent speeds, but the darn thing ripped lose the tires and took off like a rocket. Pinned to the back of the seat we past 260 kmph in a blink of an eye. It was and still is and probably will ever be THE car moment of my life. My age, my passion and a brand new 959 is a combination hard to beat.

Sex has never been even close.

(Spell Check kaput - sorry)

Great story - found out yesterday that the car is mostly Kevlar - only the doors and hood are metal (aluminum).

-Wayne
Coming in 2014:
Old 10-05-2007, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Buy them, sell them

Garage
Ah! Superb, Wayne - I've got wood!

When you say it's been "modified", are they federalization mods that you plan to restore or performance tweaks? Oh, have you had a chance to take it on a decent drive in the canyons yet?
2012 Mercedes-Benz C250 AMG
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Old 10-05-2007, 12:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Grip It & Rip It

Noice Congrats! Can't wait to hear more about it!
Old 10-05-2007, 12:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

Garage
Congrats Wayne! Wow Porsche Nirvana!

Beautiful as rare, good luck, I'm sure it is a challenge working on it and procuring parts for her.

I've always found it easier procuring parts for the wife in order to appease if necessary

1985 M491
Old 10-05-2007, 02:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

UM................................ 2.5 BAR, are you ****tin me? OMG
Old 10-05-2007, 02:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: