Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Since we're discussing rare Porsches...

...why would someone go through all this trouble/expense, only to install a Chevy V8? No bids, big surprise...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-GT1-HISTORIC-RE-CREATION-VERY-RARE_W0QQitemZ270172044199QQihZ017QQcategoryZ6058Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-06-2007, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Why not? An American V8 puts out tremendous power for minimal outlay. Allowed him to pump money into that chassis. Pretty convincing, and I bet it goes like snot. Not the kind of thing that I would like, the only replica I like is the Cobra kits, but whoever picks it up will have a blast. How much money would he have had to shell out in order to make big horsepower numbers from a flat 6?
1977 Turbo Carrera Black on Red #411 - Beauty Queen
1987 951 Black on Black - sold to make room for the 930
1972 911 2.7 (RS P's and C's, solex camshafts, Weber's, ST suspension) - I regret selling her every single day....
Old 10-06-2007, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Just what part of the car makes it a 1970? Maybe the dash or the early trailing arms? Either way, very cool.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I got wood. Nice re-creation indeed.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Because they went so far as to make an accurate & quality re-creation. Why stop at the motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komenda Fan View Post
Why not? An American V8 puts out tremendous power for minimal outlay. Allowed him to pump money into that chassis. Pretty convincing, and I bet it goes like snot. Not the kind of thing that I would like, the only replica I like is the Cobra kits, but whoever picks it up will have a blast. How much money would he have had to shell out in order to make big horsepower numbers from a flat 6?
Old 10-06-2007, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Cool car as it sits, but I agree, with that much money into it, why not just spend the extra $20K and put in a 500 hp 930 engine?
Old 10-06-2007, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Evolved

While some strive to keep every Porsche "All Porsche - all the time" others of us could care less.

When I bought my 1969 (non-running, rust bucket) I did not know what I was going to do with it at first. It was my first P-car and I had no idea what was available in the aftermarket for restoration. The plan was (if necessary) to cut away everything but the exterior sheet metal, build my own tube frame chassis, and install a small-block Chevy engine and five speed manual with the engine in the FRONT! Shocking!!! I always liked the body lines of the 911...the original drive-train ...meaningless to me.

Some of us come from the hot rod/street rod side with our automotive passions. We like to build/fabricate things.

Always wanted an exotic sports car, even a kit. Still may build one. I would have done exactly as this guy did. It is, after all, a reproduction ...not a numbers matching, rare automobile.

I like BIG H.P. made relatively cheap and that's what I can do with either a small/big block Chevrolet.

Build YOUR car your way and quit bytchin about what someone else did.

To each his own.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The most interesting thing imo was the video and the text-to-voice, voice-over. Didn't know they were doing that yet but pretty cool. Explains why it's "Porsh", too.
2006 Ducati Sport Classic mono SOLD
1979 SCWDP #0020 Talbot Yellow SOLD
Old 10-07-2007, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Gearhead View Post
Build YOUR car your way and quit bytchin about what someone else did.

To each his own.
I'm only commenting on the fact they put thousands upon thousands of dollars (and hours) into building this car and then got lazy and/or cheaped out at the last step. What a waste. If they knew from the beginning that they were going to throw in a SBC, why not just build a Montage or a Kelmark and call it a day?

I'm certainly no purist. My collection of "franken-mobiles" impresses no-one, but I know cheap/lazy mods when I see 'em.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fty
Personally..I love it....You "could" drive the car more frequently and not have to worry about a very costly engine rebuild!!!!! One thing Chevy does right is cheap HP, and its also pretty reliable.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I agree with most all of the comments above, including the OP's, but I think some of you have missed the point. The builder got the look and style and perhaps even historic homage he was after, but made a different choice about power. Not quite my thing, but I can relate to loving the look for sure, and apparently it works for him. Different strokes... (so to speak!).
Old 10-07-2007, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: