Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Project Car: 959 - The PPI...

So, the PPI was done last Wednesday. I was on vacation prior to that, so we had to put it off (imagine being on vacation with your family, while a deal for a project 959 was pending - made me a bit antsy at the very least). The previous owner of the car is the owner of Orange County Lamborghini (also owns Beverly Hills Lotus), and it had mostly sat for the past four years. Because this wasn't a "standard" car, they insisted that I bring Tony Callas and his former-Andial guy Grant to the car in their location at Beverly Hills. This was a huge PITA, but after discussing it at length with the guys there, it just wasn't going to happen any other way, and insisting on having the car brought down to Tony in Torrance might have derailed the deal. The previous owner of the car obviously has a lot of money, and was not terribly interested in hassles, as he didn't "need" to sell the car.

So, on Wednesday, Tony and Grant (formerly from Andial) went to go inspect and check out the car. Their overall impression was that the car was in very good condition, and the worst thing to happen to it in the past was the fact that it had been worked on by inferior mechanics who left evidence of sloppiness in the car (brake lines, not routed correctly and loose, etc.). These will be some of the things that I will be working on fixing in the future.

They didn't have the time or equipment to run a leakdown test on the car, so Tony suggested that I get a contingency clause from the dealership to have them run the test in Torrance after I bought the car (a very good suggestion, and one that I didn't immediately think of). Speaking of that, even though I've written books on engines, and cars, etc., and I continuously counsel people on what cars seem good and which ones seem to be in for trouble - it's different when you're buying a car for yourself. Particularly with this one, I was a little too close to the deal - bringing in Tony was a good idea, because he told me to "make sure of this, and make sure of that" - the same things that I have told other people over the years, but had forgotten to think of this time. Bottomline, even if you know the cars inside and out, it's wise to get a 2nd opinion before you commit.

Here's the text of the report that Tony repared on the car:

Quote:

Callas Rennsport 10-03-07

Wayne Dempsey PPI (At Beverly Hills Lotus)
1987 Porsche 959
35,452 KM’s
VIN WPOZZZ95ZH5900037

Pre-Inspection
Engine pulley area tin not 100%
VIN 8th digit on federal sticker in engine compartment incorrect?
Cooling fan air capillary tube hose not 100%
Battery age? (Interstate)
Engine fuel hoses cracked, recommended
Ignition distributor cap spark plug wire connector are cover gone
Rear brake rotors moderatly cracked
Right rear brake sensor broken
Engine to left coolant pump hose kinked
Note, car was converted by GK for DOT/EPA regulations
Right chain tensioner cover leaking oil
Left turbocharger scavenge pump leaking oil
Engine to chassis (both) coolant hoses old, recommended
Left rear suspension wiring harness routing not correct
Rear tail light grommet gone
Both tail light wiring harnesses taped up
LR leveling height shock/dampener sweating oil
RF leveling height shock/dampener leaking oil bad
Front brake rotors cracked severely
All wheel valve stems caps incorrect
Forward underbody panel cracked in 2 places
RF Forward wheelhouse liner cracked/broken
All hoses at nose of gearbox not routed properly
Previous engine/gearbox installation not 100% in various places
Undesirable aftermarket Clifford alarm system
Very slight Paint scuff damage on LF fender
LF side marker turn signal light boot torn
Both rear fender to bumper fasteners missing
LR tail light lens, screw missing
Front differential sweating oil
Gearbox side cover leaking oil
Both lower rocker panels paint not 100%
License plate light lenses cracked and fasteners missing
RR turbo oil scavenge pump hose heat shield bolt broken
Flexible exhaust crossover pipe rubbing motor mount
Right side exhaust crossover pipe clamp bolt rubbing through underbody panel
Front hood crest bent & damaged
Whole car previously repainted
Owners manual missing
Front hood shocks NG
Front hood fuel filler door gasket not 100%
Fuel cap seal missing
Both interior door pockets cracked/broken
Right interior door handle inoperative
Drivers seat forward switch inoperative
Drivers seat very loose, fasteners missing or something broken?
Very slight imperfections on inner windscreen surface
Left forward wind wing window interior surface damaged
Gas tank vent line fitting broken
Air conditioning warm, Freon low? Compressor OK?
Heater inoperative, Climate control electronics OK?
Center console has a hole in carpet on forward top section
Right exterior mirror up down inoperative
Mirror direction switch “mushroom knob” missing
Rear window exterior trim not 100%
Windscreen interior trim NG
Rear window exterior seal @ right lower C-Pillar incorrect (reason?)
C-pillars to roof areas paint rough
Slight cracking on both lower B-pillar to door sill areas
Windscreen washers inoperative, reservoir empty
Steering wheel severely off center (Bent suspension components?)
Wheel alignment recommended

Please note: We did not have the time to perform an engine leak down and compression test and recommend before you purchase this car for us to perform these tests.

Please note: The DME has a maximum of 1.5 Bar boost at this time which is default mode, this indicates that there is a problem with the turbocharger system, diagnosis due.

Please note: The central warning light is continuously illuminated indicating a problem with an associated system but we are not getting another warning light at this time to indicate the problem. All the warning lights must be inspected for correct operation.

Please note: The climate control system appears to have a substantial problem because the Air conditioning and heater system are inoperative.
The FCU, Adjustable dampeners & Level control systems appear to be operating properly with the exception of two leaking shocks/dampeners.

Please note: The FCU and various systems appear to be working properly at this time but we were notified via a previous repair invoice of an inherent problem with the FCU system that would show up only after the car was driven for at least 30-40 minutes. We were not able to drive the car for an extended period of time during our pre purchase inspection.

Please note: We are very confident in our findings, however the time we were allotted and with the circumstances of the inspection being less than ideal, we must say that there could be other areas and/or issues that might exist. As noted above there are certain areas that are related to the DME, Climate control, FCU, Leveling and Dampening systems where problems are known to exist with no clear understanding of the repair necessary and could represent substantial cost.

Now, reading this list, you'd think that this car was a piece of garbage, and not worth a second glance. Still, after sitting down with Tony, Grant and Tom at Callas Rennsport, it was determined that these were all "relatively minor" issues that were mostly caused by years of neglect and/or poor work by previous mechanics. Tony is very meticulous in his PPIs, and he will basically point out anything that is incorrect on the car from when it was new. After we took the car to Tony's shop for the leakdown (which it passed), Tony did say quote: "This car is *****in", so I'm fairly confident that he gave it the thumbs up despite the problems that we'll have to fix on it. The major problems were known to me and were indeed reflective in the overall price of the car.

The car runs and drives fine right now, with the exception of some computer faults. It was smogged and passed CA smog with flying colors on Thursday. The primary issues are with the 4-wheel drive control system, and the turbo boost controller. Currently, it's running in default mode, which limits boost to 1.5 bar (.5 boost). The car is still VERY FAST, but it's obvious that there is power that is still missing.

Here are some photos from Tony's shop:

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Coming in 2014:
• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 10-07-2007, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

By the way, that pearl white Turbo in the background is a late 80s turbo that has about 9,000 original miles on it - sortof a time capsule car so to speak. I think one of the mechanics mentioned that the car might be coming up for sale soon, but he wasn't sure. On the other side of the 959 is a 2006 Turbo, which I think they were doing an engine-out clutch job on.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Coming in 2014:
Old 10-07-2007, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Looks very cool Wayne.

What are your immediate plans for the car? Daily driver? Weekender?

Is this something a guy like yourself can actually hope to work on, do maintenance on, etc?

What's the parts availability like?

Good luck with that...

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 10-07-2007, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Whole car repaint? I love the black and have never seen a black 959. Is this original?

Valve stem caps incorrect? Jeez, take off 10 K for that.

Just a fantastic car. You're in some good company now, like Ralph Lauren and Seinfeld.

Edit: Maybe Wayne can expand his line of Pelican clothing now. Or, can you say "Dempsey Duds"?? I want the first shirt that shows him crawling out from under a 959.

Last edited by milt; 10-07-2007 at 11:11 AM..
Old 10-07-2007, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Looks very cool Wayne.

What are your immediate plans for the car? Daily driver? Weekender?

Is this something a guy like yourself can actually hope to work on, do maintenance on, etc?

What's the parts availability like?

Good luck with that...

ianc

The car will not be used as a daily driver, but will be used for fun runs, track days, and the occassional drive. I will be doing most of the work on this car, and it will take many years to get it back to perfect condition (I also have several other projects I'm working on, like the Boxster book, right now).

Some parts are available, some are not, all are expensive when compared to regular 911 stuff. Example: rear brake disc is $1300, cap and rotor are like $700 for the pair.

-Wayne
Coming in 2014:
Old 10-07-2007, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

That is a great PPI, IMO. Very thorough! Like you said, alot of small relatively minor issues. Not deal breakers though.

I really liked what you said about getting a 2nd (or 3rd) person involved. That is SO TRUE! It's so easy to be consumed with the possible ownership of a car that you can overlook the obvious. It doesn't matter how educated you are on the car.

Without getting into specifics, what kind of percentage of price would be negotiated with issues like these? I am just curious, if nothing else.

Again, congrats!

'84 Grand Prix White RoW Carrera
'12 Black/black 6M w/Brembo package Mustang GT (DD)
'05 Black/Tan Mazda 6s Sedan (wife's)
Old 10-07-2007, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ZAMIRZ
If I'm not mistaken, your car used to be silver.

Keep us posted on the progress

PM me to add your RUF to the RUF Registry

www.rufregistry.com
Old 10-07-2007, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Your car will seem like nothing to get back to good when you compare it to all the rotten stuff on that 9k 930.. that car is I am sure full of things that need to be replaced.

I love the new ride Wayne!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Interesting update. Talk about thorough PPI! Must have taken hours and hours. On that car it must be priceless. What a beauty it is. Brings back memories (like almost a tear in my eye). Yes, I know how ridiculously fast it is. Particularly in 1988 when I had the opportunity to ride in one and the second fastest car in town was an Audi Quatro.

Carrera '85
Old 10-07-2007, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ View Post
If I'm not mistaken, your car used to be silver.

Keep us posted on the progress
What makes you say that? The entire chassis is black inside and out...

-Wayne
Coming in 2014:
Old 10-07-2007, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 in SC View Post
Without getting into specifics, what kind of percentage of price would be negotiated with issues like these? I am just curious, if nothing else.
It was one of the wierder deals I've done in my time. I'd rather not get into specifics...

-Wayne
Coming in 2014:
Old 10-07-2007, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

No problem. I wasn't sure if you would be able to explain how everything was taken into consideration, etc., without getting specific.

Either way, good luck with it - I think you can tell that we all will love to see updates!

Mike

'84 Grand Prix White RoW Carrera
'12 Black/black 6M w/Brembo package Mustang GT (DD)
'05 Black/Tan Mazda 6s Sedan (wife's)
Old 10-07-2007, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

So Wayne,
Did you ever really think you would own a 959? it's only a dream of every porsche NUT alive!!
Old 10-07-2007, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ZAMIRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
What makes you say that? The entire chassis is black inside and out...

-Wayne
Guy Keuylian had a car identical to yours sitting in their showroom on Wilshire for the longest time that was originally silver and repainted black (disclosed to potential buyers and fairly obvious upon inspection). I assumed that was the car you bought, but I guess I'm mistaken.

PM me to add your RUF to the RUF Registry

www.rufregistry.com
Old 10-07-2007, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Wayne,

I'm sure you feel the same way....Gotta love Tony Callas. "On top of it" is only scratching the surface with his operation. The man goes above and beyond, does it right, and takes great pride in doing so. You can't ask for much more than that.

Dave
Old 10-07-2007, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Did you drive the car much?

If so, can you compare the feel & experience with a 993 turbo and/or any of the 964 cars?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ View Post
Guy Keuylian had a car identical to yours sitting in their showroom on Wilshire for the longest time that was originally silver and repainted black (disclosed to potential buyers and fairly obvious upon inspection). I assumed that was the car you bought, but I guess I'm mistaken.
That was also my understanding of the car that sat in the showroom in W. LA for much of the early 2000s. Would seem a real coincidence if it was a different car, but certainly not impossible.

Why not get a "birth certificate" from the factory. For most cars, at $120 or whatever they are charging, it's a ripoff, but a drop in the bucket for this one.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
To me, a comprehensive PPI includes a review of documents, owner history, factory & originating dealer source material, chassis labels (date of manufact, etc) & codes (paint & options) - particularly for a late model, high dollar limited production model. I'd be surprised that originating docs &/or COA where not part of the presentation.

None-the-less, what a great acquisition and adventure! Wayne, thanks for what you do, the way you do it, & keeping the community in the loop. All businessmen can learn from your approach. I get the feeling it is going to turn out just fine (w/ a few more bucks & sweat). Best of luck!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Hmm, I think I would have detected that fairly easily. We took apart the front trunk carpet and disassembled a lot of stuff, and it was all black in there. I wonder if the cars are all black by default, and just the exterior panels are painted silver. Here are the photos:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/wayne/959/callas/ulthm.htm

Which W.LA showroom are you talking about? I was told that the car was brought up from OC last year to help populate the showroom in Beverly Hills (The Lotus Dealership). That showroom has only been open for a year or so...

-Wayne
Coming in 2014:
Old 10-07-2007, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

My memory may be bad, and this may be a totally different car, but I remember a repainted black 959 being in a showroom that was on Wilshire, but that was many years ago, like 6 or 7 years. I don't remember what the showroom was called, was one of those places with lots of cool cars.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: