Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott at Pelican Parts View Post
You missed a decimal place. The body in white is $201,610.40

I would bet it is really No Longer Available, as are most of the parts in that section.
Actually, there are a bunch that appear to still have stock...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 10-11-2007, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Driving member

Garage
Maybe someday they will be worth that much so they can sell them.

Unlike women, a race car is an inanimate object. Therefore it must, eventually, respond to reason.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Driver

Hey Wayne,

Have spent a lot of time in the PET enjoying 959 parts availability and pricing...

Congratulations on buying a really cool car! Normally, I'm not a fan of color changes, but I really dig the black -- it really makes the stock wheels "pop" in a way they just don't on the silver cars (which is most of them).

I always have fun watching project cars come together on Pelican as a result of passion, ingenuity, and drive, but this one will be especially fun to watch!

Best wishes,

pete
Old 10-11-2007, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Wayne - I think this will become a great thread for all of us to follow, it's like you'll be taking us all on this adventure with you.

Do you think you will start a new thread with each update, so that the treads for this project don't become huge!!!!

Look forward to seeing how your project developes.

Matt
66 Jaguar MKII - Sherwood Green
09 VW GTI - Candy White
Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor@Excellence View Post
Hey Wayne,

Have spent a lot of time in the PET enjoying 959 parts availability and pricing...

Congratulations on buying a really cool car! Normally, I'm not a fan of color changes, but I really dig the black -- it really makes the stock wheels "pop" in a way they just don't on the silver cars (which is most of them).

I always have fun watching project cars come together on Pelican as a result of passion, ingenuity, and drive, but this one will be especially fun to watch!

Best wishes,

pete
Pete,
Wayne is claiming his research suggests no color change. We'll all find out when the Certificate of Authenticity arrives or maybe it will be quietly brushed under the rug.
Either way, cool project and am glad the head Pelican is forging new ground and leading by example.

Doug
Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott at Pelican Parts View Post
The 959 Section is here!
http://www.pelicanparts.com/PartsLookup/HTML/SubCat/E_959_KATALOG.htm

Yes, Wayne has driven the car. I got a ride last Friday. When the first of the sequential turbos is working alone (below about 5000 revs) it isn't anything spectacular. But when both turbos are making boost -- wow! It's probably similar to the 993 and 996 twin turbos when they are making max power.

That is awesome, i think everybody and their mother had a poster of this car hanging in their room. Now you get to park one in your garage! How is the exhaust sound, is it similiar to a 930? im sure with the full 2.0 bars it will hold its own against anything this side of a tuner special.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
Pete,
Wayne is claiming his research suggests no color change. We'll all find out when the Certificate of Authenticity arrives or maybe it will be quietly brushed under the rug.
Either way, cool project and am glad the head Pelican is forging new ground and leading by example.

Doug
Hey Doug,

Am leaving an open mind there, believe me. Bottom line is I don't really care one way or another. This car looks amazing, and something tells me Wayne will make it show and drive amazing with time.

However, I am VERY curious to see what the COA (though these are sadly suspect these days) says, as Canepa told me he has the only non-metallic black 959 ever made. I must say I always take such "gems" with a grain of salt, but I have to admit I've never seen another non-metallic black *production* 959 besides Bruce's.

BTW, it's been fun to read some of the ride-along reports. Very similar to my own take when I drove my first 959 and how I've felt in every one I've driven since, with the exception of Canepa's heavily modified cars: Didn't I read as a kid that sequential-turbo 959s were "lag-free?" But, man, when the second turbo spools, that car moves out. Especially with the factory powerkit...

I will say that while Canepa's "kit" removes originality, it makes the 959 much more fun to drive and quite a bit quicker in real-world use. But I respect those who want to maintain the 959 as Porsche built it. My time with Canepa also revealed that only the 959S (with the sport-tuned, non-air/adjustable suspension) handles the way we all thought the 959 should/would after reading about these cars back in the 1980s -- and surprisingly a LOT like a 993 RS. The Comfort model is suprisingly soft, wallowy, and, well, comfy. Like an ultimate touring version of the 911...

Which is what the 959 was. And I think it's pretty cool that one more of them seems to have found a home where it will actually be used as such.

Have fun with it Wayne, but if you're gonna track it, may I suggest installing the Sport suspension instead of fixing the height-adjustable setup? It still rides FINE on the street but completely transforms the 959. Of course, such a move would render your car's "extra" oil-flap-like door useless...

pete

Last edited by stout; 10-11-2007 at 02:21 PM..
Old 10-11-2007, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
A little late, but congratulations on the acquisition, Wayne! Probably the perfect car for you at this time. With the right accountant, I bet you can write off the whole experience as a business cost.

How about a book while you are at it? (a la Steve W's work...)

69 911 T Targa, 2.4E w/carbs (1985-2001)
70 911 S Coupe, 2nd owner (1989- 2015)
73 911 T Targa, 3.2 Motronic (2001- )
Old 10-11-2007, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouzo12 View Post
That is awesome, i think everybody and their mother had a poster of this car hanging in their room...

Still do... in a nice metal black frame in my home office... one of those dream cars...

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet
Old 10-11-2007, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Wayne...

You promissed some pics!

Pete, I sent you a PM.

Last edited by Garen; 10-11-2007 at 12:41 PM..
Old 10-11-2007, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

"959" and 'project car" in the same sentence.

Has to be the first one and lilkely the last for a long time.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

I don't think Wayne will be sweeping anything under the rug regarding the color. The answer to that is what it is, and is part of the history of the car, and Wayne doesn't strike me as the type to be anything other than forthright about it.

Anyways, I just did a quick google, and it does seem like this same person (Vick Kuelian) in late 2002 had a Silver 959. But he has had lots of exotics, and it could be a totally different car than the one Wayne bought.

See this Road & Track article where they tested the Silver 959:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=392
Old 10-11-2007, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Still do... in a nice metal black frame in my home office... one of those dream cars...

So this could be Wayne's car? Just kidding... that color dilema will continue until the doc from Porsche arrives, lol. People just love gossip.

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
Old 10-11-2007, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Wayne tell us the whole story like we enjoy hearing about any Pelicans new purchase. Who had it, whats the history, mileage, is it US registered? What else is wrong with it? Did this replace the Ferrari? If you don't mind what does a 959 in need of love go for these days? Hope you enjoy it my friend.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyPorsche View Post
Wayne tell us the whole story like we enjoy hearing about any Pelicans new purchase. Who had it, whats the history, mileage, is it US registered? What else is wrong with it? Did this replace the Ferrari? If you don't mind what does a 959 in need of love go for these days? Hope you enjoy it my friend.
He did:

Pelican Board - Please Forgive My Past Sins and Accept my Penance!!!

Project Car: 959 - The PPI...

959 PPI Update, RE: Color Change...

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
Old 10-11-2007, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Wayne,
We cannot wait for the pictures from todays work. Congratulations again on getting a 959 and having the guts to take on these projects yourself. Hopefully in 15-20 years I will have the resources and time to do something similar with a 962 or GT1 which are my ultimate dream Porsche's (I wouldn't turn down a 959). Keep up the good work.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

"Canepa's heavily modified cars"

Total Mickey Mouse (actually kinda of a "butcher job") of very classic Porsche.
The emission mods required were very simple, i.e. Porsche provided all the
necessities within the DME ECM & externally for those that had some knowledge.
Nor did it require the G&K "brute-force" approach. And then we have the
so-called Giac mod ($2000+) which just forced the engine to run much too lean,
i.e. another Mickey Mouse effort.

Bottom line: A valueable Porsche classic????????
Automotive Electronics

'88 911 3.2
'04 GSXR1000
'01 Ducati 996
'03 BMW BCR - Gone

Last edited by Lorenfb; 10-11-2007 at 02:33 PM..
Old 10-11-2007, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
This will have to tide you over for now. Here's Wayne working on the hood shock a few minutes ago. That's a VERY tight space down there.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Wayne,
I am looking forward to the 101 Projects for a 959.
How long before it's available?
Jim S.

2009 Cayman
Old 10-11-2007, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Driver

Man, looking at that poster, why would you want to change the wheels again?

Oh, and have you gotten around to looking at the wheel locks yet?

pete
Old 10-11-2007, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: