Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hidden VIN or Production Code?

Hello! In my 1973.5 911, there is a seven digit number stamped into the metal on the interior of the car. I am wondering if anyone could please tell me anything about its significance. I think this is some sort of a production code or partial VIN, but I don't understand how to decode it. Does anyone have any information about this? If this is not something people like to discuss in an open Internet forum because it's justifiably "closely held" information, please either email me or PM me so we can talk about it offline. Any information re would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mark
Old 10-23-2007, 03:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Vin locations

It has been discussed a number of times. Have a read of the attached thread for locations of the numbers. If you want some decoding of the VIN, just post it and we'll tell you what the body details are. The engine number and type are stamped to the right of the fan housing and also tell what engine/size/hp etc was originally built.

The early 73 VIN, depending on models will start with:
9113500001 for coupe
911 3510001 for targa

later 73's:
9113500834 for carbed coupe
9113100001 for MFI and CIS coupes

9113510736 for carbed targa
9113110001 for MFI and CIS targa
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Comfortably numb.

If you are talking about the number on the tab, that is on the drivers side windshield pillar... just list the number. No secret.

Someone here can then give you the breakdown.

"Took a bead on the northern plains and just rolled that power on."
Old 10-23-2007, 04:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Production Code

Thanks for your replies. OK. To be clear, the number I'm referring to is not the VIN. I'm referring to the production or build code that's stamped under the passenger knee pad. I hate to post the exact number online on an open forum because, since it's a real number, one never knows if someone unscrupulous might want to use it nefariously on another car. It's like 1035XXX. Does this type of number mean anything to anyone? It's not my VIN, which is a 911310XXXX number (1973.5 911T). Any further information would be of great help to me. I spoke with Porsche of USA a while back and the lady I spoke with seemed to not have a clue what I was talking about. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M491Cabriolet View Post
Thanks for your replies. OK. To be clear, the number I'm referring to is not the VIN. I'm referring to the production or build code that's stamped under the passenger knee pad. I hate to post the exact number online on an open forum because, since it's a real number, one never knows if someone unscrupulous might want to use it nefariously on another car. It's like 1035XXX. Does this type of number mean anything to anyone? It's not my VIN, which is a 911310XXXX number (1973.5 911T). Any further information would be of great help to me. I spoke with Porsche of USA a while back and the lady I spoke with seemed to not have a clue what I was talking about. Thanks.
Shortcut to: http://www.early911sregistry.org/forum/index.php
Come over to the dark side.... its just the production number as your car went down the line. It does not match the Vin as they sometimes waited for an engine or a special paint whatever so they were not mfg in the same order as the vin number....
Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M491Cabriolet View Post
It's like 1035XXX. Does this type of number mean anything to anyone?
Hi Mark,

Yes, this is the commonly called the production #. The '1' is for 911. The '0' is for coupe ( '1' would be for a Targa and '2' would be for a Karmann coupe which was not used in '73). The '3' is for 1973. The # 5XXX is the sequential # of the body shell. My RS is 1034XXX, which was produced in Jan. 1973. Your car was probably produced sometime mid to late winter of '73.
'91 C4 coupe
Old 10-24-2007, 08:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Old 10-24-2007, 08:06 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: