Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewave View Post
All this stuff is very cool Wayne! I can't thank you enough for posting it.

I have a question/comment about the lose hose coupling from the low speed turbo boost:

If a coupling like this was lose on my 930, the car wouldn't run: The air is metered BEFORE the turbo on a 930, so with out boost this would appear as a huge vacuum leak, and with boost, the car would try to run overly rich.

Since your car is running, the air flow must be measured somewhere AFTER the turbo. I can't tell from the photos where, or how this is being done. Can you?

Also on the twin turbo design, is there also a valve in the exhaust system that directs the exhaust to one of the two turbos- Or are they both always running receiving pressurized exhaust?

And finally, is there condition when both turbos provide pressurized air to the engine? If so, then when that hose was lose from on the low RPM engine turbo, pressurized air would have been leaking out there from the high RPM engine turbo when under high speed boost?

I'd love to see a diagram of how this is set up on a 959. Lots of unanswered questions in my mind!!!

Thanks again for all the great photos and commentary. They are the high point of my day.
- I think you're referring to a different coupling. If one was loose like this on the turbo, then it would just let in uncompressed air. Like the Turbo wasn't working, and you'd have low boost, but still have air to run the engine.

- There are several valves that control and mitigate and move air back and forth among the two turbos. The factory brochure explains it pretty well, I'll scan it and post it...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 10-24-2007, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile View Post
Fantastic stuff!

I'm living vicariously through you. . .

You know, your discussion before about this oil alarm system (the light & warning buzzer that kept going off) makes me wonder if there wouldn't be some way to create a "kit" to retrofit to other "normal" 911s based on the same circuitry and Porsche part #'s - similar to what you did with the "peace-of-mind tensioner upgrade kit" and the "carrera oil cooler kit" (both of which I'll be purchasing, incidentally). It's probably a bit of a pain and would require pouring over wiring diagrams and cross-checking with hard-to-locate stuff on the car, but I bet it could be done, and it probably would be a good upgrade. Probably somewhere in the $200-$300 range (?) Heck, I'd pay for that just to have the additional warning if oil pressure ever gets too low. . .

Your pictures of fishing around in that mess of hoses reminds me quite a bit of wrenching on a 951. LOTS of places to lose bolts, washers, clamps, sockets, etc. I STRONGLY suggest having an assortment of magnets on-hand, a couple of good high-intensity flashlights and one of those little "claw" things in the flexible metal tube to help with dropped items. As much as you try to avoid dropping stuff, you inevitably will. Trust me. Been there, done that.

NOTHING is more frustrating when one of the last bolts going back on the engine falls prey to the clutches of gravity and you hear "plink, plink, plink. . . nothing" (doesn't come out the bottom). Grr.

Got my handy dandy big ole magnet on a stick, and I used it several times yesterday. The oil warning buzzer would be very easy to make, just create something that plugs into the lightbulb socket on the back of the gauge and sounds the alarm when the light goes on. Of course, this would then sound the alarm when the ignition was turned on. I'm sure there are ways to make this work...

-Wayne
Old 10-24-2007, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesbahn View Post
This series goes way beyond just how to repair a 959. It is the art and science of how to approach and repair a car in general and a Porsche in particular.

This is, at least in my opinion, the "Zen" of owning and maintaining an older Porsche. The idea of preserving the threads as a group deserves consideration, even publishing the series ( ? The Zen of Porsche Repair) may have merit. It's up to Wayne of course. But even in the present format, it is appreciated.
I'm going to make a home page in our tech section, and I'm also going to start the 959 Registry, which will have all of this information listed there too!

-Wayne
Old 10-24-2007, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
Porsche Crest

Quote:
I'm going to make a home page in our tech section, and I'm also going to start the 959 Registry ...

-Wayne
That's going to be a rather small membership, and I doubt if Paul Allen, Bill Gates, or Steve Balmer are much into DIY repairs! I also wonder if Gates has learned to keep oil in his cars, yet?

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'
Old 10-24-2007, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early_S_Man View Post
That's going to be a rather small membership, and I doubt if Paul Allen, Bill Gates, or Steve Balmer are much into DIY repairs! I also wonder if Gates has learned to keep oil in his cars, yet?
Warren, when Bill Gates' 959 doesn't start he just disconnects and reconnects the battery negative cable. Sometimes it works. . .
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Old 10-24-2007, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Or Seinfeld. I doubt if he does much but drive it. I'm sure someone cleans it for him, too. Wayne does it all.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Information Junky

The Kevlar-Clad Porsche

Great stuff!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Glad i'm not buying parts for it,
Old 10-24-2007, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Shouldn't this be in the 959 forum...?

Cool stuff, thanks Wayne!
Old 10-24-2007, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, the 959 section is going to be even deader than the Cayenne forum.

Well, ok, maybe not that dead.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Thanks Wayne, reading these posts is like looking at a naked woman for the first time as a kid, you are amazed at the sites
Old 10-24-2007, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Damnit guys quit givin THE WAYNER accolades he's gonna raise prices................I'm just saying. Shhhhh...........

Ahem........ Wayne that's a very nice car you have there please don't raise prices, I'm addicted.

Thank you,

Scott

Silver 1984 M491 Sunroof Coupe
Old 10-24-2007, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I'll never complain about working on my car again....promise.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

So 1.9 bar boost at full throttle at 3,000 rpm's, huh. Really? I know virtually nothing about turbos, but this struck me as rather high boost. Don't the 930's "upgrade" to a 1 bar spring? How do they get away with that kind of boost (1.9)? What kind of compression ratio does this motor have? I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

Wayne, thanks for the extraordinary footage....something to look forward to every day.

JA

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields
Old 10-24-2007, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

The cramped engine bay...complex plumbing and wiring...expensive potentially unobtainium parts...

Reminds me of my 944 Turbo tinkering days, except to the uber degree IN EVERY FREAKING WAY (value, complexity and outright coolness, of course).
Old 10-24-2007, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt View Post
Or Seinfeld. I doubt if he does much but drive it. I'm sure someone cleans it for him, too. Wayne does it all.
In our world the CEO of Pelican Parts is spoken in the same breath as the CEO of Microsoft! Wayne does your family know how much of a local online celebrity you are!?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrews View Post
So 1.9 bar boost at full throttle at 3,000 rpm's, huh. Really? I know virtually nothing about turbos, but this struck me as rather high boost. Don't the 930's "upgrade" to a 1 bar spring? How do they get away with that kind of boost (1.9)? What kind of compression ratio does this motor have? I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

Wayne, thanks for the extraordinary footage....something to look forward to every day.

JA
I had the same question when Wayne was quoting maximum boost figures from the technical manual. In 959-ese, 1.9 bar = 1.0 bar (regular atmospheric pressure) + 0.9 bar of turbo boost.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BRPORSCHE
Wayne, not to be off topic or anything, but are you still working on the 996 with the aerokit? I was pretty interested in that build.

This thing is sheer beauty though!
'87 924S - Keep's the Porsche DNA in my system while the 911 is down.
aka "Wolf boy"
Old 10-24-2007, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
What kills me is that the guy runs a pretty big company, maintains the planet's best tech forum, has a full blown family, DIY's complex issues with one of the most exotic and rare cars ever built...and the STILL takes the time to post detailed and annotated DIY threads for the entertainment of his adoring fans.

I mean really - kinda making me feel lazy here with just the career and the family.

I gave up my hobby car (for the time being) because I felt I didn't have the time to work on it, but I can see now that that's just BS. I'm lazy. I guess I did clean the throttle body in my 996 a few weeks ago, and I'll be replacig the brake pads this weekend....but I won't be posting pics and stories.

Thanks for the fascinating posts Wayne. Beats the hell out of most car magazines.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrews View Post

JA
Normal atmosphere here at sea level is 1 bar. So, when you talk about 1.9 bar, you're talking about absolute, which is sea level + additional boost. The 1 bar spring would be 1 bar additional, on top of the atmosphere, for a total of 2 bar manifold pressure.

The 959 runs at 1.9 total absolute pressure at the low end and 2.1 at the upper end.

-Wayne
Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: