Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Well, nevermind, I answered my own question. I'm a semi stay at home dad so I do most of my projects during my 2 year old's nap. I pulled the sunroof apart during the nap, went back out after down for the night and found exactly what I thought.

It's probably helpful for others to know, I can't imagine mine is the only car where someone has just held the button down too long waiting for the sunroof to open. Meanwhile the cables run out past the gears and eventually there's nothing left for the gears to grab. I opened the gear mechanism (mentioned in all of the rebuild articles) by removing the two screws and could see the ends of the cables that originally attach to the slider mechanism. Since the open end of the guide has all of the extra cable hanging out I just slid it all back in by hand, but you could also just push enough through to get the gears to grab and let the motor do the rest.

What a great article, I love how resourceful Pelicanites are, I'm saving money all over the place!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

One related issue I'm having is how to adjust the front to back position of the closed sunroof. Are there adjustable stops?

Using this thread I disassembled, repaired, and reassembled the roof, but now it seems that the sunroof panel is too far forward. There is a gap between the rear or the roof panel where the seal is, and the roof of the car.

Anyone know?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
U need the 2 felt seals. Once the seals r glued in place, you'll have no gaps.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney265 View Post
U need the 2 felt seals. Once the seals r glued in place, you'll have no gaps.
The felt seals on the headliner portion? or are there felt seals on the panels itself as well?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
One felt seal attaches to the front of opening. And the other (larger) seal attaches to the sides and rear of the panel. I got mine from pelican. Need to attach with 3m weatherstrip adhesive.

Between the two, u fill about 1/2" - 3/4" in gap.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney265 View Post
One felt seal attaches to the front of opening. And the other (larger) seal attaches to the sides and rear of the panel. I got mine from pelican. Need to attach with 3m weatherstrip adhesive.

Between the two, u fill about 1/2" - 3/4" in gap.
I do have those installed. There is still a gap between the felt on the rear of the panel, and the body of the car itself.

I'll post a picture in the am.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Anyone have pictures of the felt seals and where they attach? I found these loose while pulling my sunroof apart and am a little unclear of where they go exactly.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Air Cooled

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolson View Post
Anyone have pictures of the felt seals and where they attach? I found these loose while pulling my sunroof apart and am a little unclear of where they go exactly.
Have you looked at the pictures at the beginning of this thread?
1990 Honda Hawk GT, 1988 Honda Hawk GT,
1977 Honda CB750K Cafe
Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Just like eolson, I must have run my motor too long at time of cable failure so the cables were stuck in the back by the motor.

One of the cables was difficult to remove as it was stuck in a crevice in the roof metal. It somehow screwed itself in. I had to unscrew that one to remove it.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_D View Post
Have you looked at the pictures at the beginning of this thread?
Sorry, there's some felt squares apart from the seal that came out of my sunroof, I think someone else mentioned them as well. I don't think they're of any significance.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

I have an 87 coupe. After I recrimped and JB welded the passenger side cable (slipped out), I ended up w/ a half inch shorter length. I tried to pull the cable out to make up for the difference in order to reassemnle everything and it just didn't work. So, I'm off to purchase a new driver's side cable. Haven't unzipped the headliner yet but is it a PITA to reinstall a new cable? Thanks for any advise.

87 Blk Coupe
11 GTI
Old 03-01-2013, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

You shouldn't need a new cable, just undo the gear assembly under the zipper and you should be able to adjust the difference. Read the technical article on sunroof repair, it should answer your questions.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojahseh View Post
I do have those installed. There is still a gap between the felt on the rear of the panel, and the body of the car itself.

I'll post a picture in the am.
Ok, so this is the gap I'm left with after repairing the sunroof cable and installing new seals.

Is there a way to adjust this?

Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojahseh View Post
Ok, so this is the gap I'm left with after repairing the sunroof cable and installing new seals.

Is there a way to adjust this?

How bout those hard water marks!!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Thanks, eolson. Will ck out.

87 blk coupe
11 GTI
Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

On my 75 the sunroof works just fine but the felt strips stand out and do not align smoothly with the roof. Do you think the previous owner installed wrong strips or t did he not do the job properly? Can it be fixed or should I order new strips?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to DrkJstc
Thank you for taking the time to do this thread, it was my only guide for fixing my broken cable. The cable is fixed, I replaced the seals and now I'm trying to put everything back together. I did not quite understand how to move the panel back and I took it out completely.
Help, does the panel go in the track or under the track. When I installed it in the track the drag was so bad I felt the cable may break again.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Need a little help. I've replaced the seals on both the front and the rear of the sunroof. I put it back together and now my sunroof won't stay put in the closed position. I think my sunroof cables are broken but I just want it to close and I'll worry about the sunroof cables later when I get the money to replace them. How do I just get it to stay closed?

Edit****
Nevermind. I figured it out. I just used my hand and pushed the cable holder forward as much as possible. It locked into place.

Last edited by testa-rossa; 05-10-2013 at 09:13 AM..
Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

So you guys are saying, I can remove basically the entire sunroof assembly (or 99%) without removing the headliner?

whats left on the roof under headliner? anything major? anything heavy? Any rails welded to roof? or just a few tiny brackets (weighing a few ounces)?

And if I maybe wanted a headache or pain in the butt, I can move old or a new headliner say 1+ inches closer to roof for extra headroom? although extra headroom not really needed, just asking.

THANKS EVERYONE! Pelican's Forums & the people here are really great!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
weirdo

Hi,
can we go back to sojahseh's post #62?
I have the same issue. My sunroof works well but moves to far to the front. I need it moved maybe 3-4mm to the back to get the seal along the front properly installed.
I don't understand the thing with the felt pieces that were mentioned.

Does anyone have pictures? How do I adjust travel to the front?

Thanks
Marc
Old 06-03-2013, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: