Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Great thread. A putty knife was too strong for me to bend but I got a thin strip of what I think is brass at my local hardware store for $3 that worked fine. I didn't use an "L" shape, it's more of a hook.

I'm stuck at the step where you remove the tracks. I only had two screws on each side. Each side has a rivet that appears to be holding the track down. The tracks have model # "490 565 472" as pictured. I think the previous owner may have switched the tracks to a newer model.

Does that sound right? Do I have to drill out the rivet to remove the tracks?

Old 06-15-2014, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

The plot thickens. This came out of the front of the passenger side track. I guess my sunroof cable disintegrated? I guess that explains why the sunroof stopped working!

I measured it at 3.23mm diameter with a dial caliper, but due to its shape it's tough to measure.

Does that point to updated sunroof cable tracks? I believe the updated cables are thicker.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Brilliant. 5 stars.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 07-02-2014, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the original post, helped us immeasurably tonight in replacing the front sunroof seal.

Very much appreciated and should be linked from Wayne's how to thread as additional info.

Cheers Al
Old 10-28-2014, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
912E #444

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to racerpaul
Great aid! I think this will be helpful for my 912E, according to the Authenticity Series book the sunroofs changed slightly from 74 thru 89 so could be appropriate. My sunroof is stuck and also a little bent when some cretin vandal tried jumping his size 12's through it

Regards
Paul

P.S. Does anyone have a link for Wayne's Sunroof How To Thread?

912E #444 Former Formula 2000 / Formula Ford piloto.
"Butzi"

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-912-technical-forum/397159-912e-newbie-how-am-i-doin.html

Last edited by racerpaul; 12-21-2014 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: PS added
Old 12-21-2014, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)
What the ?

Garage
Thank you for this write up I replaced my seals and fixed my sunroof cables today and this was a big help.
9/11/01 FDNY/343 Never Forget!
Old 04-14-2015, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

The sunroof on my '67 912 would not pop up in the back and was not even across the front when in the closed position. After much trial and error this was the solution. Remove the six screw holding down the aluminum wind deflector and remove it. This will protect it while you are adjusting the sunroof. Perform the initial steps as listed above to slide back the headliner and remove the front 4 screws ( 2 on each side ) and rear 4 screws (2 on each side). Remove the front 2 sliders and the rear chrome T pieces that fits over the metal T connected to the adjustment swivel. Pop off the sunroof by sliding it forward carefully (may be put some masking tape around the edges of your roof so you don't scratch it). To adjust the front height to flush with sheet metal, turn the spined plastic knobs that screws you removed fit into up or down so the sunroof rests on the slider bracket and is also flush with the sheet metal above the windshield. By adjusting the front height you will provide clearance for the headliner panel to slide over the fixed headliner. If there is NOT clearance you will not be able to adjust your sunroof!! Adjust the height of the rear swivels so the sunroof is flush with the rear section of the roof. Slightly hit your power button so the sunroof slightly retracts. This makes the outer chrome T piece possible to center and slide over the metal bracket swivel and screw in place. While the sunroof is in this rear fixed position, install the front slider bracket with the plastic knob that you previously adjusted. Re-attach the parts you removed and try it out. Make sure the front of the moveable headliner panel slides over the fixed headliner!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerpaul View Post
P.S. Does anyone have a link for Wayne's Sunroof How To Thread?

Yes, I know... over a year old question... but wanted to include it here again:

Pelican Technical Article: 911 Sunroof Repair

To the OP, thank you for documenting this and keeping the photos around.

Doing this on my SC->RS project in the next few days!

Plastic protective edging (901-564-433-05)

I have the clear 3M adhesive... was not aware that it came in black, found out searching for threads and running into this one...

so ordered one and will be here in a few days... then I will install all the sunroof seals...

Decided to tape them in place to get the memory out....

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet
Old 02-21-2016, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Just following up on this very informative thread. I'm looking at the sunroof seal strips on PP, part numbers:
Pelican Parts - European Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche BMW Mercedes Volkswagen Audi Saab Volvo MINI

and

Pelican Parts - European Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche BMW Mercedes Volkswagen Audi Saab Volvo MINI

In looking at this thread, I cannot see from the posted pics where these seals fit. Any help (pics preferably) would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Johan

Last edited by Uwon; 03-09-2016 at 07:29 AM..
Old 03-09-2016, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Anyone?
Old 03-10-2016, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
Anyone?
First link is the rubber seal strip you barely see in my photos... it is on the flat section of the sunroof... see it? Look closely... from left to right, the first flat black rubber seal you see before the felt seal... hope that makes sense.

On your second link... not sure that is...

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet
Old 03-10-2016, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

Garage
The second part is the felt seal at the back of the sunroof. I have one here but didn't install it as mine was fine and installing the rear one involves removing the sunroof I believe.

Cheers
Old 03-10-2016, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)
J. Perrault

Garage
I apologize for busting in but...
Starting a sunroof repair for an SC.

Have the 964 cables. However, how can these cables be the felt covered cables that Pelicans described removing the felt from and have posted about ?

I have tried a pick, a utility knife etc. This material DOES NOT want to peel, strip or separate at all from the cable.
Consider myself fairly handy.... although now the cables making me feel not-so-handy haha

Has anyone ordered cables as of late ? Has something changed ?

Any long term results in running the cables WITH the felt on them, as other people have tried ? (I picture too much of a load or drag on the sunroof motor with the added "gauge" of the new felt intertwined cable)
Old 03-20-2016, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Garage
I just want to mention my appreciation for this write up. I saw it years ago and "filed" it away knowing it would come in handy some day. Sure enough this week my right hand cable came out of the guide. Thanks to this write up I was able to repair it and get my sunroof parts cleaned up and the cable back into the guide (JB Weld and crimped). Sunroof works like new again.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)
Cars Ruined My Life

I have a question. My sunroof works. However when i open it all the way and the close, the rear sinks in. I tried the adjustment screws but even when i set it correctly i can push the sunroof up or push it down. Even after perfectly adjusted first time i slide it back the rear sinks. What gives? What am I missing here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2016, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

Thanks for the great documentation. My sunroof does not want to pop up in the back. I can finish it off by pushing upward. Cables have been cleaned and (now) slide easily in the tubes. Transmission and motor are tight. My question regards item 43 in the diagram below. Pelican and other sites show the straight side toward the back of the sunroof. The PET Katalog shows the angled side toward the back. Which is correct?

Thanks,
Vytenis
Old 07-06-2016, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
First link is the rubber seal strip you barely see in my photos... it is on the flat section of the sunroof... see it? Look closely... from left to right, the first flat black rubber seal you see before the felt seal... hope that makes sense.

On your second link... not sure that is...
Figured it out. It is a self adhesive felt strip with several holes which is installed to the underneath of the deflector base. Should have taken a pic to post before installing it.
Cheers,
Johan
Old 07-07-2016, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

How about part #43, the little rubber piece that contacts the cable attachment point?

Thanks,
"V"
Old 07-07-2016, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vytenis View Post
How about part #43, the little rubber piece that contacts the cable attachment point?

Thanks,
"V"
There is one of those "shoes" on each side at the back to lift the sunroof just enough to change the orientation of the lever action connection in the cable attachment (first pic in post #2) from a flat horizontal position to vertical that pushes the rear of the sunroof up and home. If the shoe is missing or worn then this would be your likely culprit. Unhitch the cover from the sunroof as per the first post, push it back all the way, close the sunroof all the way and then you can examine the condition of the shoes. The other likely culprit is the length of the arm in the lever action connection which can be lengthened (sunroof higher) or shortened (lower). This adjustment is a PITA.
Hope this helps.
Johan
Old 07-08-2016, 01:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)

Still have the same problem. I understand the action of part #43 with respect to the pivot action. Part #43 is trapezoidal. In the picture, early on in this post, it shows part #43 with the flat side toward the back. The Pelican part picture shows the same orientation. The PET Katalog shows the angled side toward the back, acting as ramp for the pivot to ride up? I will try the other orientation.

My sunroof has been removed by two different shops for painting. Not sure if they put these parts (#43) as they found them.

"V"
Old 07-09-2016, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: