Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Sleep Deprived and Grumpy

Slantnose . Was there a reason? or was it cosmetic?

I was just thinking about the old slantnose from the 80's I remember growing up thinking it was the coolest damn thing around.

Now looking back I am not such a big fan anymore, however I still find it intriguing.

My main question did serve a function better drag co? or was it primarily just for looks? Anyone know?

Just curious.

JW

Old 11-08-2007, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The slantnose first appeared in the late 70s on the 935 (the Group 5 racecar based on the 930). It reduced lift (the 935 in fact generated even some downforce) and also greatly reduced the sensitivity to sidewind.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

As PeterRT mentioned, the factory used that style of front fender on the 935, after the running a more standard front fender design in 1976. Subsequently, a few rich folks had Porsche build them a car with these fenders. Once that cat was out of the bag, many aftermarket companies made cars like that. Eventually Porsche did too, to capitalize on the profits available. So, they were done for that reason, although cars so equippped typically had a higher top speed. Ruf suggested that it added 12 mph to the top speed of their BTR with those fenders.

JR
Old 11-09-2007, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
AKA SportsCarFan

Garage
As I recall, the racing rules allowed for "fender modifications" & that is how Porsche was able to modify the cars for reduced drag & increased downforce.

The street cars were simply the result of people liking the look of the race cars.

While I loved the 935 race cars (still do), I do not like them for street cars. In fact, I think the normal headlights are one of the signature elements of the 911 style.

1988 Guards Red Carrera
Old 11-09-2007, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
So, they were done for that reason, although cars so equippped typically had a higher top speed. Ruf suggested that it added 12 mph to the top speed of their BTR with those fenders.

JR
12 mph sounds like a bit much. Porsche's own numbers are 166 mph vs. 163 mph for the standard turbo and 172 mph instead of 169 mph for the works tuned version of the 930.

Edit:
BTR topspeed is 181 mph. That would make it indeed 12 mph faster than a works tuned turbo with standard fenders, but that's including a power increase of about 77 hp...

Quote:
While I loved the 935 race cars (still do), I do not like them for street cars. In fact, I think the normal headlights are one of the signature elements of the 911 style.
Well, they're really not pretty, but functional (and somehow pretty cool if you grew up in the 80s). Let's say I wouldn't kick a turbo S slantnose out of the garage just because I don't like its nose.

Last edited by PeterRT; 11-09-2007 at 05:16 AM..
Old 11-09-2007, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Sleep Deprived and Grumpy

It's funny I still have alot of my old slantnose posters in a tube that I was looking at the other day. I think in the 80's the Slantnose spent more time on the walls than anything else.

Thanks for the interesting read guys!

JW
Old 11-09-2007, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

MBruns for President

Garage
In the day - the slantnose was king - 80's excess - slant nose, fender grills -
Old 11-09-2007, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwernquist View Post
My main question did serve a function better drag co? or was it primarily just for looks?
Yes (sorry, couldn't resist)
Old 11-09-2007, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Jeremy,

You beat me to posting a picture of the new car

I'll admit I wasn't a fan of slantnose cars prior to this acquisition. That doesn't mean I didn't like them, just that I wasn't a fan. They do grow on you quickly however. I'm lucky enough to currently have three 911's in the garage right now so the slantnose look is not something I have to angst over because I don't have "traditional" 911 fenders.

Today, I'm glad this new car is a slant. I would feel I was giving up something with the traditional look. However, if it wasn't a factory slant (M505 for the US version) I'd feel differently.

I'm learning a bit about the origins and indeed it was a tribute to the 935's of the time. Back to the original question, the performance gain to top speed as indicated in my '88's owners manual is 3mph over the standard turbo. (160mph vs 157mph)

'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)
Old 11-09-2007, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

And here it is, driven by the 2nd runner up in the Robert Redford lookalike contest:

kilodawg, awesome car, congrats!

Last edited by PeterRT; 11-09-2007 at 10:13 AM..
Old 11-09-2007, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Model Citizen

I used to love the slant too, but the fun wore off asa more and more iterations appeared. I think the shark jumped the tank for me when Larry Webster at car and driver wrote the article about driving a dp modified slant to his high school reunion. That car was just over the top, even in the eighties.
I still just go ga-ga over the look of the 935, especially the Kremer versions, but I think that the huge rear spoiler offsets the look of the front end.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFan View Post
In fact, I think the normal headlights are one of the signature elements of the 911 style.
agree, regarding the look. I never liked slantnose before I own it. Although mine is slantnose now, converted, I still like the look of the fog eyes, the original "911" look. That's why there are points of time I want to convert it back to the original look but it's kind of too much swaping the front fenders back and forth.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Senior Registered User

Garage
Slant nose SC

I one of Bruce A's books (I think the first one) there is a picture of a stock SC with slant nose fenders. IMHO that car rocks.

I have sat in a slant nose 935 and the foward vison is much better for my short little body. Heck just moving the wipers to the other side helped me.

Randy Jones
1971 911 "Iris"

Still lurking in the shrubs watching you folks.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: