Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Nice tease Jack!!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 11-20-2007, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

"the car is way too fast for this particular tracK" or is the car way too fast for this particular driver on this particular track?

Cheers
Old 11-20-2007, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alton View Post
"the car is way too fast for this particular tracK" or is the car way too fast for this particular driver on this particular track?

Cheers
Such Heresy! Unmitigated Blasphemy! Such reprehensible insolence!

May our host, the Dempsey, have mercy upon your mortal soul.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Okay, made it back safely! I think it's more dangerous driving the RV and the car on the trailer than it is driving the 959 at the Streets of Willow. I'm uploading some photos right now, some of them came out very cool, and we'll be using some for our advertising.

Milt - sorry you couldn't make it - perhaps we'll see you Thursday?

Thanks everyone for a great day!

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 11-20-2007, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alton View Post

Cheers

Everyone who knows me, knows that I spend one hour on the track for about every 1000 hours working on the cars. That said, for most of the track today, the throttle was only part-way down, and the shifts were few and far between. Come to think of it, that was sortof the way it was in the '72 RS clone, which I think I prefer to the 959 for this particular track. Ray gave me the chance to take his car out on the track, and drive-wise, his is a twin-brother to my 3.0 72 clone. Very nice car, I think I need to replace some bushings in the '72 in order to get it up to snuff, and upgrade the brakes (Ray has 930 brakes on his car). I'm thinking we'll do the Boxster brake caliper conversion in the very near future.

As for whether this car is too fast, or more appropriately geared too fast for this particular track, I'll defer to our track-leader, Jack for an answer to that one.

-Wayne
Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Canadian Member

Garage
Lucky Bustard......... in oh soooo many ways!
Look forward to seeing your pics.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Although the 959 is a unique and rare car, I am more than happy to drive it like it was meant to be driven - fully spirited and full bore - in a safe, controlled environment of course. The Streets of Willow for those of you who don't know, is different than the main track at Willow Springs (there are 3 tracks there plus one kart track I think). It's generally a pretty safe track as there's not much to hit if you go off, or spin (other than another car). The car performed well today, although we had some issues with the oil pressure sending unit, and the tire pressure monitoring system didn't like it when we adjusted the pressures to the correct amount (kept telling us it was too low). I think it needs to be calibrated. I still have that stalling problem that I think was caused by either bad gas, or by sucking old gas out of the bottom of the tank. Also, the small crack in the top of the plastic tank leaked when I filled it up to the top with 100 octane (wanted to fill up to the top so that I could add some Swepco fuel injector cleaner). It's beginning to run better, but I think I need to check the idle control valve (as suggested by Tony Callas) to see if it's operating correctly.

The car is indeed very fast. There was a Pontiac GTO with 400 HP there that was a huge sleeper car - looks like a rental car from behind, yet I could only creep up on it on the straights. I was checking my boost, my gauges, speedo, tach, and I am thinking "what is going on here, how am I not trouncing that rental car?". Huge sleeper. I was riding with Jack in the car when we let a 3.6 pass us on the straight - I really had to come off of the throttle, and even then it couldn't pass the 959 - this thing has HP to spare!

With the boost coming on at 5000 RPM, I was very concerned all day with the characteristics of the car - I didn't want the boost to come on at the wrong time and spin the car. As it happened, I was concerned with the wrong thing. On the straight where the car spun, I think I was either coming in too fast, or the car stalled and the steering went out. I did not anticipate this, having babysat the car in the curves for "accidental boost". With many more hours at the track, I'm sure I could begin to feel more comfortable with the car (as the day went on, I did), but as Jack mentioned, there is an inherent danger in that - pushing the car to it's limits. With a car this strong, fast, and rare/valuable, that might not be a good thing. I think next time I'll bring the Boxster and the RS clone - with those two cars, I don't have to be concerned with monumental boost coming on.

For those that couldn't ride with me today, the 959 feels like this: From about 1K to 5K the car is a good performer, very much like a good, solid 3.2 engine. You say to yourself, "hmm, this feels pretty good, it has good power". Then at about 5000, an invisible hand comes down from the clouds and gives a huge shove to the back of the car from 5K to 7500 RPM. If you shift down from 7500, the transmission puts you right back at 5000 with full boost for the next gear. Very well designed in that respect, and you can accelerate with 400-450 HP throughout the range.

Just like when I started Pelican nine years ago - I'm just like you guys - I work on all my own cars, and I currently have grease under my fingernails. Part of the fun is enjoying the stuff - I don't know of any other 959s that make it out to the track, let alone get spun (we'll try not to repeat that). The car is real nice, and I'm going to try to keep it as nice as possible, but I also bought it to drive it, enjoy it, and share it with everyone - just like my other cars. I'm glad that you guys enjoy reading about it - if you're in the LA area, feel free to drop me a line, and I'll give you a ride!

-Wayne
Old 11-20-2007, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BlueSideUp
Hey I saw you guys from 24000 feet today! I flew over going from San Francisco to Ontario around 3PM. As I looked down I was wondering who was tearing around "the streets"! It's cool to know one of those little bullets could have been a 959.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Wayne, great post. And, I will take you up on that generous offer of yours.
1984 911 Carrera Cab
2007 Cayman
Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

uh yeah that would be a kick in the pants
Old 11-20-2007, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Was the car accelerating hard in that side photo? Maybe it's the angle but I'm surprised to see that much bushing deflection in the front suspension.

It must be awesome to hear the 959 run around the track although I suspect it's fairly quiet with two turbos and mufflers.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSideUp View Post
Was the car accelerating hard in that side photo? Maybe it's the angle but I'm surprised to see that much bushing deflection in the front suspension.
Nope, those photos were taken at about 10-15 mph. I have no idea what you mean by "bushing deflection?"

-Wayne
Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
Nope, those photos were taken at about 10-15 mph. I have no idea what you mean by "bushing deflection?"

-Wayne
You must need some polybronze . .. j/k.

I believe he's noticing that the front wheel appears to be moving fwd in the wheel arch. The above pic, of the stationary 959 in profile, shows that there is indeed a larger gap behind the wheel, than in front. (for aero concerns, I suspect.)

Nice pict's.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Great photos!

How is boost curve on those things? Having sequential turbochargers, I presume it boosts in quite linear fashion, no? It would be interesting to see boost vs. RPM log on the car. Did you verify that both turbochargers are online? I never drove or wrenched sequential setup but I read about people having problems with somewhat complicated handover mechanism on other sequential cars (Mazda RX7's and Toyota Supras) without noticing it.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like a "Happy Thanksgiving" to me!

Cool pictures...thanks Wayne.

The clip that Jack O put through in this post shows how this car really commands the road in the turns. I like it.
1987 944 Automatic
Old 11-20-2007, 11:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post
You must need some polybronze . .. j/k.

I believe he's noticing that the front wheel appears to be moving fwd in the wheel arch. The above pic, of the stationary 959 in profile, shows that there is indeed a larger gap behind the wheel, than in front. (for aero concerns, I suspect.)

Nice pict's.

I think it might be an optical illusion...

-Wayne
Old 11-21-2007, 12:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
Great photos!

How is boost curve on those things? Having sequential turbochargers, I presume it boosts in quite linear fashion, no? It would be interesting to see boost vs. RPM log on the car. Did you verify that both turbochargers are online? I never drove or wrenched sequential setup but I read about people having problems with somewhat complicated handover mechanism on other sequential cars (Mazda RX7's and Toyota Supras) without noticing it.
Based upon today's performance on the track, I'd say it seems to be working fine. If it's not working fine, then that's okay too, as I really don't know what I'd do with more power...

-Wayne
Old 11-21-2007, 12:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: