Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Cottrell View Post
Actually Derek, that RX-7 is a Turbo II. You need to find a picture of an NA sans hood scoop. And could ya photoshop in some Minilites and flares for petes sake.
Here's a quicker way... use your imagination.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

That's what I told Asa. Jeez Man give Derek a break!!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Cottrell View Post
That's what I told Asa. Jeez Man give Derek a break!!
Hahaha... yeah!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

You know these incidents add more weight to the "take it to the track" credo. Honestly, the financial liability is just too great on the street. And, if you don't think a jury would be biased against someone driving a Porsche, just search the archives and take note of some of the negative assumptions made by our own Forum members and fellow Porsche owners when the topic of "spirited driving" is raised.

For most of us, it makes more sense to risk writing off our cars at the track than it does to drive 10 mph or more above the posted speed limit.

Perhaps the SoCal Pelican members could organize and rent track time at SAFE local venues. There is certainly a wealth of talented and experienced drivers (Jack, Todd, etc...) that could really help rookies like me navigate the tracks safely. I would love an opportunity to learn with like minded Porsche drivers committed to improving and having safe and sane fun.

Mike
Old 11-26-2007, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMO3.2 View Post
Perhaps the SoCal Pelican members could organize and rent track time at SAFE local venues. There is certainly a wealth of talented and experienced drivers (Jack, Todd, etc...) that could really help rookies like me navigate the tracks safely. I would love an opportunity to learn with like minded Porsche drivers committed to improving and having safe and sane fun.

Mike
How's this? http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-autocross-track-racing/378403-so-who-going-what-has-become-pelican-christmas-party-willow-springs-post3609325.html#post3609325
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 11-26-2007, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

DRACO:

I saw this thread. I realize I may be asking for too much, but it would be nice to avoid some of the risk that I assume comes when sharing the track with any fool willing to pay ACRA to run.

Would it be cost prohibitive to have Pelican member only track days?

Mike
Old 11-26-2007, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Automotive Electronics

'88 911 3.2
'04 GSXR1000
'01 Ducati 996
'03 BMW BCR - Gone
Old 11-27-2007, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Quote:
DRACO:

I saw this thread. I realize I may be asking for too much, but it would be nice to avoid some of the risk that I assume comes when sharing the track with any fool willing to pay ACRA to run.

Would it be cost prohibitive to have Pelican member only track days?

Mike
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Just because somebody is on this forum makes them a better driver and less of a fool?

I'll be out on the ACRA day with the rest of the fools.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Hey did he just call me a fool?

I guess I'm a track paying fool. TPF, need to embroider that on my track jacket . I have no problem with that.

LOL, "Opinions, Everyone Has One" I read that some where

See you there Derek
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Magnecor * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Hey DRACO ASOG and Derek:

I apologize for my less than precise post. It was not my intent to suggest that you are a fool for going to ACRA or other open track events.

I was trying to voice my concern that events like ACRA might attract some drivers that may have more nerve than sense and little to no concern for the financial consequences should they cause an accident at the track.

As much as I appreciate the idea of being able to drive my car on a track, it seems like there is a lot of potential for disaster. The "lunch time tours" that some clubs used to offer come to mind. It is my understanding that there have been some significant shunts and even a fatality recently. I know at Fontana everyone was driving over 100 mph at the "lunch time tour" I took a few years ago. And yes, there were some fools out there.

Mike
Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Hey Brother MoMo,

No worries, I know you meant well.

For myself, I try to be very aware of my surroundings and try not to take un-necessary risk especially when I have others in my car.

The track will give me a legal opportunity to see how well my baby really runs. I know there will be some Dee Dee Dee there but I can not control them just what I do.

I will be in the Novice YELLOW Group so hopefully won't have too much drama.

LOL, man,

Jim
PCA/POC
Old 11-29-2007, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Quote:
Hey DRACO ASOG and Derek:

I apologize for my less than precise post. It was not my intent to suggest that you are a fool for going to ACRA or other open track events.

I was trying to voice my concern that events like ACRA might attract some drivers that may have more nerve than sense and little to no concern for the financial consequences should they cause an accident at the track.

As much as I appreciate the idea of being able to drive my car on a track, it seems like there is a lot of potential for disaster. The "lunch time tours" that some clubs used to offer come to mind. It is my understanding that there have been some significant shunts and even a fatality recently. I know at Fontana everyone was driving over 100 mph at the "lunch time tour" I took a few years ago. And yes, there were some fools out there.

Mike
Ok ok... I understand. It's cool.

I'm not concerned about the ACRA crowd since it's basically the same crowd as OTR. And from what I've seen at OTR, the caliber of drivers at these events absolutely DO NOT fall in the average "fool" category
Old 11-29-2007, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)
Administrator

For what it's worth, I don't think ACRA has had a single incident of car-to-car contact in its entire history.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Thanks Jack. That is great to know.

I imagine I will end up giving ACRA a whirl.

Mike
Old 11-29-2007, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to slodave
Quote:
I imagine I will end up giving ACRA a whirl.

Mike
You mean that figuratively, right?

'84 Targa - Arena Red - AX #104
'07 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Yes, I'm that guy...
'01 Toyota Corolla - Urban Camouflage - SOLD
Old 11-29-2007, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)
driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
Liked the Turkey Day run enough, that a couple of us made it back for another leisurely drive through the mountains, again, today...

better late than never, here's a racer x shot from our drive.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

Dave:

Figuratively speaking, of course.

Not to tempt fate but, I have over 15 years behind the wheel of 4 different Porsches without a single incident.

Mike
Old 11-29-2007, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I was wondering what that pic would look like. Hard to do the Jackie O self-portrait scowl when you're giddy from driving these things through such incredible roads.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

Garage
Some more pics.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: