Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.86 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hester

When I was in law school, my favorite professor was this salty old man who taught me contracts in my first year. He was really cynical and spoke his mind and I took every class that he taught while I was there.

Every year, one of the student organizations would have an auction to raise money for their activities. They solicited donations from the faculty of their time to spend with a student in some activity like tennis, lunch, or, like I bought one year, a ride on their 40 foot sailboat.

My favorite professor always donated a ride with him in his Porsche to lunch and back. He called his Porsche "Hester" because she was a "red S" which reminded him of the character "Hester Prynne" from Nathanial Hawthorne's "the Scarlet Letter." I was the high bidder on that item for each of the three years I went to that school. The last year, he let me drive home.

After I graduated, I visited with him in his office on campus a couple of times. My wife and his wife exchanged Christmas cards every year but, other than that, we didn't have much contact.

Last year, I was thinking about my old professor so I sent him a letter inviting him to lunch. When he got my letter, he called me and said that he didn't get out much anymore but that my wife and I should come to his house for dinner. We accepted his invitation and had dinner one Sunday with him and his family.

After dinner, the professor took my wife out to the garage and lifted the cover on the Porsche for her. Before that, the last time that I had seen Hester was 1996.

As we were leaving, the professor suggested that we take the Porsche out for a drive sometime, with me driving, because he didn't drive anymore.

I did call him a few months later to follow up on his suggestion. There was no answer when I called so I left a message but no one ever called back. I
just let it go.

My professor died last month. I submitted something to the school newspaper for his obituary and attended the memorial service the law school held in his honor.

A few weeks later, I got a call from his son-in-law who told me that the family had decided that I should have Hester now. I offered to take the car and sell it for them but quickly got shot down. They didn't care about the money. They just wanted me to have the car.

So now I've got this 1970 911S. I've never paid any attention to Porsches. I did, however, work my way through college as an auto mechanic and I do all of my own auto maintenance and repair. I've been reading this board for awhile and I can tell that keeping Hester going is going to be expensive but money well spent.

Last edited by Hester; 04-29-2008 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Security
Old 12-01-2007, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Plotter and C.R.A.P.per

very nice story. Welcome to the board. A lot of ncie people here and a lot of information. Enjoy that beauty... I am sure you will.

- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 12-01-2007, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Welcome. You may want to look at this:
Long term & Commonly Neglected Maintenance

As long as you aren't doing public interest law you should be able to keep the car running...
Old 12-01-2007, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Sultan of Sawzall

Send a message via AIM to rouxroux
Welcome and thanks for posting the story. I'm sure you'll give Hester a great home. That's a special car...drive it, he'd want it to be that way. You've been honored, now honor his memory by doing with it what it was built for!
Gruppe B #319
2 '86 911 Carrera coupes (red & white)
'66 Corsa convertible 140/4(red)
'66 Monza coupe 110/PG(white)
'95 993 cabriolet (wife's)
Old 12-01-2007, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Sorry to hear about the death of your friend. And how thoughtful that the family decided to give the car to the man who appreciated it. It doesn't get much better than the 2.2L 911S. Do the car (and yourself) a favor and DRIVE it regularly.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
The Cuddly One

I love the stories behind some cars. Drive it: Lots!
Man braucht nicht reparieren was funktioniert!
Old 12-02-2007, 02:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

wish I was as lucky.

congrats to you, enjoy the car and cherish the history behind it!
Old 12-02-2007, 02:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The seats are really great. They are both in flawless condition. The driver's seat is a Recaro racing bucket and the passenger's seat is a Recaro sport seat. The professor didn't like the headrests and didn't keep them installed but we found them in the attic and I have since put them back. (I took those pictures on the day that I brought Hester home.)

Hester has a fire extinguisher mounted on the hump in front of the shifter which both looks really cool and may save her life someday.

We found the original leather-wrapped steering wheel in the attic too. At some point, the Professor put a "Jackie Stewart" signature edition Momo wheel in Hester.

I also found the original muffler in the professor's garage. He kept it when he put the sport muffler on.

The car has the owner's manual in the glove box in the plastic wallet that with a Porsche emblem on it that came from the dealer when it was delivered here in San Diego.

It also has the originial tool kit with what appears to be all of the tools in unused condition. The tool kit even has a spare fan belt with "Porsche" on it to identifiy the manufacturer.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Party Member

Garage
Herr Professor took good care of Hester. I'll have to re-evaluate my opinion of those in the legal world.

71 911T Miss Demeanor / 2013 Audi Q5 Hundeführer
Old 12-02-2007, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

i say good karma. never hurts to be nice to people!
Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Fantastic! What a great story!

You'll quickly learn that these cars get inside you very quickly and you'd never want them to go to anyone but a "worthy" successor - someone who will appreciate them and take care of them.

Of course, seeing first-hand what a lot of the stupider/unworthy P.O.s out there have done and the sad, neglected P-cars that result is enough to galvanize such resolve.

Welcome!

Black Cars Matter
Old 12-02-2007, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Don't be surprised if you get a number of offers to buy that car. It looks in very good condition and is easily worth in excess of $30K, probably much more. You have received a very special gift. Honor your old professor and keep it.

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 12-02-2007, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hester is not for sale.

Hester has the owner's manual in the glove box in the plastic wallet with the Posrsche emblem that came from the delaership.

Hester has the seemingly complete original tool kit in the trunk with a fan belt that says Porsche on it.

We found the original steering wheel in the attic and the original muffler in the garage. There is a "Jackie Stewart" signature series Momo wheel and a dual tailpipe sport muffler on her now.

We found the headrests for the Recaro racing seat and the Recaro Sport seat in the attic and I put them back on.

I want to replace the fire extinguisher or get that one recharged.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I posted this on Early S:

OUTSTANDING.

Wonderful story and congratulations on your appointment to be the next lifelong caretaker of a now very special car. An awesome responsibility.

Hester can’t just sit. A 911 needs to be driven as intended. On the other hand it is your responsibility to hand off the care (say in 50 years) to the next proper person. You will want it as it is today. That will take a great deal of care and effort.

Please post more.

Best,
Grady

PS; would you weigh the original muffler? Bathroom scales are adequate.
Thanks,
G.

On to tracing the history.

I would scout Dick Barbour and Alan Johnson Porsche+Audi with your VIN. I suspect you might find the original purchase information. The PCA region might have VIN records also.

California DMV typically doesn’t go back farther than about ’83 but it would be worth sending a request to Sacramento (DMV Form INF 70).

What years were th blue & yellow plate issued? That may be a clue.

Where did Professor have the 911 serviced? It is possible he continued to use the same as the previous owner. If so, they would have records.

More pictures please.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 12-02-2007, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I am glad Kurt said it... That is a fantastic story, Hester. Now, if you haven't already, please do some research so that you understand the value of that car. That is NOT your run of the mill early 911. The "S" models are RARE and VERY special and VERY valuable. I am sure Kurt's estimate of $30K is conservative for a car in the original description that you describe here.

Also, how about a running report? How does she run? Any pics of the motor? How many miles are on it?

Thanks for sharing. I hope you stay here with the Pelican board. It is clear that you have the right car and the right personality to both offer and gain a lot from this board.

Best,

JA
Old 12-02-2007, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hester View Post
He called his Porsche "Hester" because she was a "red S" which reminded him of the character "Hester Prynne" from Nathanial Hawthorne's "the Scarlet Letter."
Hester Prynne's scarlet letter was an "A" , not an "S".

Beautiful car.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Grady, I have more pictures but they're on my office computer so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

California stopped issuing the black plates in 1969 and started using the blue ones in 1970.

I will look into talking to some of the places that I have been able to idetify as having had something to do with servicing Hester "when I get a chance."

Steve Grosekemper at Dieter's in downtown San Diego took one look at Hester parked on the street and offered me $35,000.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

One of my classmates pointed out that Hester Prynne was sentenced to wear a red "A" not a red "S" and the professor told him not to overthink it.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
If the "A" was for "adultery" than it does beg the question, "what is the 'S' for?"

Maybe "sexiness"?

Black Cars Matter
Old 12-02-2007, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Hester runs well. Steve at Dieter's (I got to meet Dieter once in the early 90's. He had a thick Austrian accent and you just knew that he was going to do right by your german car) heard her run and looked under the hood. Steve said that it sounded good and that I should live with whatever idle stumble the MFI might produce because they are so expensive to rebuild.

The odometer says about 72k but who knows.

I have a picture of the engine compartment on the computer in my office and I will post it tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: