Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinclarkston View Post
9K is a big hit! Sorry to tell you that I think we were paying somewhere in the $30 range each if my memory is correct. I have also sent you another PM with information on storing accumulators. Per the information I sent our manufacture states that while no loss of gas is expected when empty they do not reccomend storing accumulators for more than five years.

By the way did Dirk send you the pacakge with the test pin out box? If not I'll send him a note as I know he gets busy.
Right, plus how long have these been on the shelf at Porsche sitting in their warehouse since they were made? They may be 20 years old and bad! That is why I would rather use the newer parts. I did think about the pressure levels of the accumulators and how that would affect the suspension. If the Porsche ones are NOS stock from a long time ago, they may actually be holding different values these days. I don't have my manual here, but I'm not sure if there is a way to test the pressure that was expected out of the accumulators. I plan to install the Mercedes / Audi units and see if that fixes the problem. The car performed very well at Willow around the corners, but was bouncing way too much. If these solve this problem, then all is fine by me.

I'm hoping that this fixes the problem, if all goes well, this week we'll see. I have to lift the car up and take the wheels off, which is an event in itself. I'll take pics.

Yes, Dirk did send me the unit, and then called me. I'm pretty sure I called him back and left a message, but I'm not sure if he got it. Have him call me again, so we can reconnect!

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 12-02-2007, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickd89 View Post
Wayne,
Just to make sure, have you checked the Audi Allroad version? Since it is VW/AUDi/Porsche it might match up better.

I almost bought one of these (but ended up with a 2.7T A6). This model woul be more current and might have been based on your cars design.

They have a pnuematic ride height system and it kind of looks like yours (i think)..

Check out the first diagram from this link:
http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/susp.html

Best of luck.......
I saw these, but they look decidedly different:

Right now, the Mercedes ones look similar. What a joy it would be if they are almost identical and fix the bouncing problem!

-Wayne
Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

THANKS EVERYONE

The input and feedback here is great. This car is such a unique beast that I am finding that even the people who know a tremendous amount about it, don't know everything about every system on the car. Lots of technology on it, and some was unique, and some was a derivative of other stuff, which is very cool. So far so good in chasing down some of the problems. The true big problem to fix will be with the error messages that are coming out of the 4WD system - I don't even want to go there until the rest of the stuff is completely fixed. The system seems to work fine even after giving the warning buzzers, etc. so I'm not going to terribly worry about it until all of the other problems are mostly solved. I'm also going to table the oil pressure sender for now, as I really want to replace this using the tools in my garage at home, and that is currently occupied by the "super Boxster" project for the Boxster book that I'm working on. I hope to have the new 3.4 engine installed this month, but in the short term at least have the front wheels back on (adding Brembo kit, Tarret sways, PSS9s, etc.) so that I can push it out and then drive the 959 in. It's soooo much easier to work on the car at home with 100% of my tools there, rather than at work. There's more space at work, but most of my tools are at home, and I constantly have to bring them in to work on the car. Plus, when I work at home, I can do it at night after the kids are asleep. Much, much better setup. Oh well, at least it's motivating me to progress on the Boxster book (which is coming along very nicely).

Thanks again for everyone's input, this is a very fun process, and I love sharing it with everyone!

-Wayne
Old 12-02-2007, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Grip It & Rip It

Wayne-

Everyone should be thanking you! Pelican Parts and this BBS are awesome!

Old 12-02-2007, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

A bit late perhaps: sorry

I did some research on Dutch Citroen websites. These springballs used to be refilled but nowadays they are so cheap that they are just replaced. Price is about 30-50E (40-75$) each. Refilling them costs 40E (55$).
Old 12-03-2007, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
Hi Jared, good to see you around! Do you have any specific links to the systems on these cars? I couldn't find too much on the web, except that everyone seems to refer to them as the car that goes up and down!

-Wayne
Dont have any specific links, (my mind is pretty mushed out from the Van Halen concert/party this weekend) I'd be looking for links on SM's (with the Maserati engine) They have a setup that is real similar to what you have. I have a buddy up here with an SM. He knows the hydraulics well. I will ask him for some references..
Old 12-03-2007, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/citroen-sm.htm

http://users.skynet.be/sky38711/allfiles/smfile/citro%EBn_sm_internet.htm

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/miscellaneous/hydraulics/hydraulics-1.html

just a quick search

btw, I want a ride in that thing when i come to LA for the holidays..
Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to ischmitz
This link is even better IMHO: http://web.actwin.com/toaph/citroen/work/shock.html

I repair/rebuild Bosch CDI Boxes and Porsche Motronic DMEs
Porsche "Hammer" or Porsche PST2 - I can help!!
How about a NoBadDays DualChip for 964 or '95 993
Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
A bit late perhaps: sorry

I did some research on Dutch Citroen websites. These springballs used to be refilled but nowadays they are so cheap that they are just replaced. Price is about 30-50E (40-75$) each. Refilling them costs 40E (55$).
I did some research on those too - they appear to only have one connection at the top, whereas the Mercedes and 959 ones have two. I will take a closer look at the Mercedes one when it comes today...

-Wayne
Old 12-03-2007, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

scroll down to the hydragas suspension. good info and diagrams.

http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible.html
Old 12-03-2007, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

My Mercedes Cosworth uses this suspension system, and I replaced the accumulators a year or so ago. It completely fixes the bouncy (hard) suspension if it is the accumulators that have gone bad.

The job is not hard on the Merc, so I imagine it would be similar on the 959 (have to laugh at myself making that sweeping statement based on my experience of ZERO 959's )

I've been playing around with the Merc self levelling system so much to get it to sit a little lower, 'bleeding' off the fluid etc, and I've come to the conclusion you can be fairly brutal with it and it keeps working!

I'd definately give it a go. I think they are made by Bilstein (or Boge). Car may sit a bit higher or lower? Dunno if the 959 has self levelling built into the system? I'd be reading the mercedesshop forums, or 190 revolution.net.
Good luck.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: