Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete000 View Post
It is just amazing how some one let a 959 go into such a state of disrepair. Where did that car get so abused? How may miles are on it I didn't catch that.

Nice to see it getting saved !

I agree, pop for a full set of wheels! You get them cheap !
According to the guys at Callas Rennsport, who have looked at many of these, this car is in very, very, very good condition compared to some others that they have seen. These things get driven all over the place in Europe - there's one for sale in Europe with 150K on the odometer. While I am pointing out all of the small little problems that are with this car, I think many of you are holding it up to a higher standard than you would with a 20-year old 1987 Carrera. If you compared this car to the condition of a 20-year old Carrera with 21,000 miles on it, I think you'd find them in similar condition. The car has not been beat up - it's just been neglected for a few years now...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 12-04-2007, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Nose View Post
As far as the shock canisters go, I would guess that pressure would have a bigger effect than volume. Would it be possible to rig a guage to test the pressure in each canister and compare?

Also - what makes you think that the existing canisters need repair?
Every piece of info that I have read on these systems state that when the spheres fail, the system will go hard, and the car will bounce like a 4x4 truck, which is what it is doing right now. So, it's highly likely that it's the spheres. I could measure one that is on there right now, but they look like original equipment and have probably all failed by now.

Keep in mind that these systems, which may be familiar to Mercedes mechanics are somewhat weird to Porsche mechanics. Very few people I've talked about know much about this leveling-suspension system...

-Wayne
Old 12-04-2007, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_cramer View Post
Wayne,

Save time and worry and use the Porsche pressure reservoirs. You may save a whole bunch of money by adapting something else, but the potential damage to the car if the alternative isn't identical in function to the original far outweighs the cost. Expressed more directly: suppose you're taking a corner quickly and the car hits a bump and the shock rebounds strangely and you leave the road and hit something, would you pay $10,000 to have The Spirit of Ferdinand come down and make everything right again? I sure would.

Imagine the irony if a guy who OWNS one of the most popular Porsche parts businesses in the world damaged his 959 by trying to avoid the high cost of the original part. Knock on wood, we hope this will never happen.

My contrarian .02.
As stated previously, if the parts on the shelf in Germany are NOS from 20+ years ago, then they will or have already failed. The literature I have been reading states that these have a very limited shelf life. If we weren't talking about rubber and a pressurized sphere, then I would agree with you, but based upon what I have read, I am not 100% sure I want 20-year NOS parts installed on the car.

-Wayne
Old 12-04-2007, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarolyi View Post
>On that shock thing Wayne, perhaps you could find someone with an interest in engineering. Perhaps someone who attended MIT.

Um...Wayne IS an engineer who went to MIT if I recall correctly.

He has the two things necessary to own and keep a 959 in roadworthy condition: an engineering degree and access to wholesale Porsche parts!
- I think you missed the sarcasm in his original post...

-Wayne
Old 12-04-2007, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by herr_oberst View Post
I am not trying to hijack this thread, but this quote makes me realize -

There are going to be a lot of Really Nice Cars that are basically worthless in 20 years. Owners that can't afford the upkeep plus unobtainable parts plus obsolete software.

Thanks for the great words and terrific photos, Wayne. What a great car.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm writing a book on the Boxster right now. I have a car that we're working on with 135,000 miles on it. While I don't have the original repair paperwork for the car, somethings look very original, like the front suspension components. They are very good - with very little wear. Other things on the car seem to have lasted a long time too (cheapy interior aside).

My point is that cars these days are built a lot better than those in the past, and tend to wear out less in my opinion. If you have an old Mac Plus or an old IBM 386 from 20 years ago, chances are it still works. No real reason to think the cars will self-destruct on their own.

-Wayne
Old 12-04-2007, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Wayne,

You know, Bruce Canepa rips out the 959's "dual-shock" suspension and replaces it with a single coil-over with titanium springs. He may have some parts laying around that you would be interested in... just a thought.

- Mike

Group Managing Editor at Kelley Blue Book, Autotrader, Dealer.com / Forbes automotive contributor
Old 12-04-2007, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
Wayne,

You know, Bruce Canepa rips out the 959's "dual-shock" suspension and replaces it with a single coil-over with titanium springs. He may have some parts laying around that you would be interested in... just a thought.

- Mike
Thanks - yup, the parts guy up there is getting me a list of what they have floating around...

-Wayne
Old 12-04-2007, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Yeah, at those prices it would seem excessive to have a whole set. My God, I thought when you said they were "reasonable" that they would be a grand each like a 16 x 9 Fuch.

But, then again, this ain't like any other car.

Now that I said that, I have seen this and a couple others in person. Although I've never sat in one, the interior is very, well, 911 Porsche. Once inside, you could be swayed to think you were in a normal Carrera era car. That is if the motor wasn't running. It has a sound of its own.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
Every piece of info that I have read on these systems state that when the spheres fail, the system will go hard, and the car will bounce like a 4x4 truck, which is what it is doing right now. So, it's highly likely that it's the spheres. I could measure one that is on there right now, but they look like original equipment and have probably all failed by now.

Keep in mind that these systems, which may be familiar to Mercedes mechanics are somewhat weird to Porsche mechanics. Very few people I've talked about know much about this leveling-suspension system...

-Wayne
yeah, you really know about failure of the hydraulic system all of a sudden you have a bad back after going over some pot holes.

out of curiousity is the hydraulic fluid clear? Mercedes-Benz stuff is and i'd guess it'd be the same stuff. I think it's Lemforder (unsure of the spelling though)
Old 12-04-2007, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: