Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Running Fog Lights only....

Is there an easy way to make it possible to turn the fog lights on without having the main lights on?

In this scenario I would like to keep them switched with the ignition.

Cheers,
Kato
Old 12-15-2007, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Illegal in this state...
'89 Carrera Targa SOLD
Old 12-15-2007, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The advice that follows worked for another 86...please "check" your own car for similarites as I won't be responsible for electrical fires !!! ( LOL!).

Remove grey wire from the bottom of the fifth fuse block back from the front of the car (most likely, a bigger fatter yellow wire will also be attached to this position). Leave the yellow wire ( if found as such) alone. Re-insert said grey wire into the bottom of the second fuse block back from the front of the car. There is likely no wire attached to this connection.

Done......

You now can operate the fog lights whenever the parking lights are on.

If you only remove the grey wire, and the fog lights do NOT go an...AND the interior fog light switch DOESN'T light up when pulled...then all "should" be fine and you've got the correct wire. Might also be best to use a volt meter to make sure these points are not always "hot"...to prevent surprises.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I did that on my car. I can't remember exactly what I changed but it was not difficult at all. Check out the wiring diagram:

I think I traced the wire back to headlight switch from fog light switch (connection 15 at the fog light switch) and connected that directly to one of the "switched" fuses on the panel. I think it was the fuse Wil is talking about. Again, my memory is hazy so that may not work

Last edited by Won; 12-15-2007 at 12:05 PM..
Old 12-15-2007, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Be careful..and use a Bentley or shop manaul too. I think the 83 and 86 models are wired "slightly" differently, but the idea is the same....get power for the fogs using the parking light circuit.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

When I did the conversion, I wired it so that the fog/driving lights can be actuated whenever the ignition switch is in the "run" position. It has been about 6 years now, no problems at all, but I just can't remember exactly what I did. I did run new wiring to the switch, and installed a relay in the circuit, so now when I start the car, I can reach over and turn just the driving/fog lights on, without any other lights on. I might be able to locate my notebook that I keep track of mods. it was not a very difficult task to do, but it has been some time since I did it and can't really remember exactly what I did. I did have the Bentley book at hand when I did it though. If I come across my notebook, I will contact you about this procedure. Good luck!!
1954 Dodge C-1-B8-108" 241V8 POLY
1973 Roadrunner 440-SIX-PACK*
1986 F-250 Super Cab-460 V8 tow
Newest additions-
Matching numbers 1973 340 Road Runner!!
1948 Dodge B-1-F-152" 1-1/2 ton Dump body, 39,690 miles
others...
Old 12-15-2007, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

3.2, I'd be very interested also, thanks
Old 12-15-2007, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Fog Lights

The above mentioned grey wire is the "trip" lead for the fog light relay. All you need to do is to move it to a fuse that provides "switched" power. You can have just the fogs, parking lights w/fogs, low or high beam with fogs, etc.

Good luck!
Old 12-16-2007, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I too, am interested in this mod. I did it with my E30 318is, but that was done by a jump wire on the relay.
This sounds much easier...if the gray wire is the correct one to move. This is a nice mod I must say.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
It's illegal to run just fogs just about everywhere in US...

Guessing Canada is the same. Probably should check.
Some cars use the fog lights as "daytime running lights" up here.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the advice.

I'll check the Bentley and try moving it to the parking light circuit.

My main reason for doing this is for daytime running lights. Good thing that this is legal - I've seen other 'older' cars with this and I think it's a good idea.

Just to be clear though - moving the grey wire to the parking light circuit will give me switched power to the fogs? --- as the main purpose is daytime running lights I am hoping I can just leave the fog light knob pulled out at all times.

Cheers,
Kato
Old 12-17-2007, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred cook View Post
The above mentioned grey wire is the "trip" lead for the fog light relay. All you need to do is to move it to a fuse that provides "switched" power. You can have just the fogs, parking lights w/fogs, low or high beam with fogs, etc.

Good luck!

Any examples of fuses that would suffice but not burden the electrical system? I have removed the A/C so that fuse/relay won't see any action...
Old 12-17-2007, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Appreciate Wil's simple detailed description for us electrically challenged (me). BUT where to re-locate the gray wire to allow fogs to be turned on WITHOUT the parking lights on?
Like Kato originally asked, I want to be able to turn on fogs with just car/ignition 'ON', without headlights nor parking lights. This would in essence allow me to (with fog light switch pulled out in 'on' position) have fogs 'on' every time I start the ignition.
'11 Cayenne
Old 12-17-2007, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Kato, have you considered adding a switched circuit connected to the "city light" sockets in the H4 lights? I thought about it, with a couple relay to power it and then turn it off when main head lights are on, but never got around to it. That way the fog lights will remain as they are, and you will have an actual DRL circuit with no switches to worry about. Just a thought.

I pulled the fresh air blower to check the wiring. On my 83, the fog light gets +12V from the headlinght/dimmer switch to 1. illuminate the switch itself and 2. complete the fog light circuit. What I did, apparently, was to disconnect the wire coming from headlight/dimmer switch to actual fog light circuit, and tapped the +12V wire connected to the adjacent defroster switch which gets power regardless of headlight switch position. There is no change to the fuse box wiring.

Since both switches are the "control" side (forgot the exact term) of the relay circuits for fog and defroster, I didn't see much danger in running 2 switches vs. 1 on the +12V wire. I probably used both fog lights and defroster at the same time at some point, and nothing caught on fire as a result of that. I ran it like that for about a month before I decided to ditch the fog lights altogether. YMMV.

[edit]

Ok, scratch that. I went outside a few more times to check it and still can't be 100% sure where that switched +12V is coming from. I can't possibly be THAT sloppy to switch 2 circuits with wiring designed for 1 It's 3AM and I'm tired Unfortunately the whole front end of my car is in pieces and the battery is disconnected so it's not very convenient to use the multimeter. Maybe tomorrow I'll put the battery back in and check everything.

One thing though, regardless of where you tap the switched +12V, you will need to add a separate wire, as all the input to the fog light is switched via headlight/dimmer circuit. Wil's method only moves the +12V between main and parking light circuits, and if you move the said gray wire to a ignition-on switched source, the fog light switch will always be illuminated. The easiest way would be to add a fused wire straight from a ignition-on source to the fog light switch.

More to come tomorrow, if needed...

[/edit]

Last edited by Won; 12-18-2007 at 02:22 AM..
Old 12-18-2007, 01:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Won View Post
Kato, have you considered adding a switched circuit connected to the "city light" sockets in the H4 lights?....More to come tomorrow, if needed...

[/edit]

I didn't consider it when I installed the H4's ... I just tossed the little bulbs.

Now that I think about it more running lights would be good idea and the fogs would be great for that.

Re: wiring to an ignition swithced on circuit .... this is what I would like to do... I await your response...

Cheers,
Kato
Old 12-19-2007, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

It would be nice to have the city lights come on with the parking lights, and the fogs be independent with it's oem switch.
This is the way I have it on my BMW however, the fog switch won't work if the parking lights are not on. In other words I cannot have JUST fogs on.
Looking at the wires in my Carrera...I'm scratching my head!!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Here's exactly what I did: I tapped the "switched" wire for the stereo, pulled the wiring through an existing grommet on the "firewall" and connected it to terminal #15 on the fog light switch. The black/blue connection coming from the defroster switch to terminal #58 is for the dimmer illumination light that comes on with dash lights and remains unchanged.

I did mix up the ternimals and connected switched source to "I" and the lead going to fog light relay to "III" and it still worked, hence the reason I was confused with my own wiring at first; according to the wiring diagram it makes no difference whether you connect the switched source to "I" or #15. I'm not entirely sure the switched lead for radio is fused or not, so probably best to put an inline fuse when you add the fog light switch to the circuit.

Hope it helps!
Old 12-20-2007, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Won View Post
Here's exactly what I did: I tapped the "switched" wire for the stereo, pulled the wiring through an existing grommet on the "firewall" and connected it to terminal #15 on the fog light switch. The black/blue connection coming from the defroster switch to terminal #58 is for the dimmer illumination light that comes on with dash lights and remains unchanged.

I did mix up the ternimals and connected switched source to "I" and the lead going to fog light relay to "III" and it still worked, hence the reason I was confused with my own wiring at first; according to the wiring diagram it makes no difference whether you connect the switched source to "I" or #15. I'm not entirely sure the switched lead for radio is fused or not, so probably best to put an inline fuse when you add the fog light switch to the circuit.

Hope it helps!
Thanks I'll check it out this weekend.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred cook View Post

Good luck!
Any suggestions as to which fuse to move the grey wire to for switched power?

Regarding tapping into switched power from the stereo it would be nice to have a very easy/convenient mod instead ....
Old 02-23-2008, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Hey there.. KatoKato

I just performed this mod on my 84. Living in Canada too, I wanted daytime running lights that were able to be run without the headlights on.

I used the method Wil outlines in post#3. To clarify what is going on with the fuses. The grey wire he is referring to is not carring the load of the foglights, it is merely the trip for the relay that handles the load, so there is not as much concern about what fuse to use, as long as it is the powered under the right circumstances.

I wanted a fuse point that was powered when the ignition was on. I used fuse #1, furthest towards the back of the car in the block. It is the sunroof/power window fuse in my car. I have a cabriolet, so for me this was a fuse for my powerwindows. I moved the thick grey wire (fog light relay trip) from the bottom of the lowbeam circuit fuse to the bottom of the power window circuit fuse, and voila, fog lights that I can switch on and off when the car is running, without having to have any other lights on.

I also ran it for a while with the grey wire on the bottom of the parking light fuse so that the fogs came on with the running/parking lights, but in the end I preferred the fogs only as DRLs.

Hope this helps.
David
Old 05-21-2008, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: