Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need a new battery for 1984 carrera

I was checking online for options and the only one I could find was at Sears-- Diehard International. The reviews were just average. Would like to get some feedback on this battery or other options. Thanks in advance.

Here's the link for the Diehard International:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02833349000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Batteries+%26+Chargers&sName=Automotive+Batteries&sLevel=3
Old 01-01-2008, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

if you have the time you can go to an Optima... there are a number of threads on how to make a sled.... some of the ideas are pretty smart and cheap... e.g. buy a cutting board... cut out to a shape.... bolt the battery to it and bolt the whole thing into the car.... may have to make a new ground side wire... that's it..
Old 01-01-2008, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have a DieHard and it is great. Do need to vent it.
Disposable Car: BMW 530xiT, Audi A3S
Old 01-01-2008, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

yelcab, did it come with a vent tubing kit? Honestly, I'm not even sure where the current battery vents.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The Costco battery works for me.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Regis turd ab user

First of all welcome, and please add your location to your signature.

Interstate makes a perfect fit as do Sonnenschein (DF75) as I believe Oddessey does.

Here's a link that also includes Optima. http://www.batterysales.com/index.cfm

Once again the "search feature" at the top right of the page (search this forum) is your friend, and ours.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
I posted the content below on another thread. Also, I brought a 1 yo Lexus battery back to Walmart with no receipt and they replaced, no questions asked. The car is not used at all and I suspect a drain is occurring...so the battery is in a less than ideal environment. While I'm a longtime Interstate customer I would not hesitate to try one of the recommended Walmart or Autozone items as a replacement.

"When at the in laws recently I picked up a copy of Consumer Reports. Of all the brands Duralast (AutoZone) and EverStart (Wal-Mart) performed the best. I'm looking for the magazine now for the specific models.

Worthwhile excerpts from the online article:

http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.as...tentid=4023696

"Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts."

"The two most crucial factors in choosing a battery are its "group size" and "cold-cranking amps," or CCA."

"Reserve capacity is another important measure of battery quality. It indicates how many minutes your car might run using the battery alone, should the car's alternator fail. You may have to check product literature rather than the battery's labeling to find the reserve capacity.

"Buy a fresh battery—one manufactured less than six months earlier. Batteries are stamped with a date code, either on the battery's case or an attached label. The vital information is usually in the first two characters—a letter and a digit. Most codes start with the letter indicating the month: A for January, B for February, and so on. The digit denotes the year: 0 for 2000, say. For example, B3 stands for February 2003."

"Our tests of batteries regularly show wide variations between and within brands. See below for details on how to obtain Ratings and additional battery information.

"What you can do. Check the battery group size and CCA for your vehicle. Not every brand comes in every CCA level. To get the brand you want, you may need to go a bit above your car's CCA requirements.

Steer clear of batteries with a CCA rating below the one specified for your vehicle, as well as those rated 200 amps or more higher than the specified rating. It's a waste of money to go too high. Buy a battery with the longest reserve capacity you can find. If it's not printed on the battery (and it usually isn't), ask store personnel or check product literature. Should your car's charging system fail, a longer capacity can make the difference between driving to safety and getting stuck." "
Old 01-01-2008, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. Just one last question-- I only drive the car on occasion; sits in the museum(garage) most of the time. I'm trying to figure out the biggest drain on the battery. I seem to always have to charge the battery if I don't start it at least once a week. This time around, it just won't charge
Old 01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Regis turd ab user

Buy yourself a battery "maintainer" they use a trickle charge and monitor your voltage. Leave it plugged into the car at all times when not in use, summer and winter. I use a Battery Tender, works great.
David
Old 01-02-2008, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks David!! We're going with your recommendations. We appreciate your help.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have a battery from Costco in the Porsche and a Lexus. 100 month warranty, IIRC. VERY reasonably priced at about $50. No problems, and a perfect fit.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Monkey Butt Forespin

I went DieHard International a couple of years ago when I did my new alternator, no issues since.

For Tech Questions:
'84 911 Carrera Cabriolet (US)
Weltmeister Chip, Fabspeed Euro Pre-Muffler, M&K 1-in / 1-out Muffler
22 ERP /29 Sander Hollow T-Bars, Bilstein HD Struts / Sport Shocks
ERP Poly-Bronze Bearings (A-Arms & Spring Plates), Stock Swaybars
Turbo Tie Rods, '92 C2 5-Spoke wheels w/ 1" adapters, Drilled Zimmermans

Yes, I drive mine as much as possible. If it's >32° & sunny, I've got the top down.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

some more two cents from me...
After owning cars for about 40+ years...all with conventional batteries until recently...
1 - batteries leak... I can't remember not having a conventional battery that didn't leak acid in some manner - not sure if leak is the correct word but the acid came out somewhere
2 - batteries outgas.... not a problem with a standard car... has been written to be a problem with a 911 because the inside of the car is in the same cavity as the trunk and could cause electronic/electrical connection issues
3 - batteries run down when sitting - Optima better in this regard
4 - batteries need service - cleaning area with baking soda, checking/adding water and cleaning/greasing terminals.

Why not just go with Optima and be done with it and put efforts in other areas?
Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

FYI - Johnson Controls now owns (makes?) Optima Batteries.
PCA - 34yrs / Ex-RGruppe #197
'04 GT3 Halloween/SF Giants car
'11 E550 Coupe (Königstiger)
Old 01-03-2008, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
I wholeheartedly recommend the Optima / cutting board install. The hardest part of the project was taking care of the rust from my leaky, unsecured Interstate. Cutting the board and mounting the battery couldn't have taken more than half an hour.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I have one of these (12V version) and it's the best I've ever owned:

www.rockracingbattery.com
Old 01-03-2008, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
+1 Optima. Keeps you from having to replace the suspension pan. Which would be a good excuse to buy a welder, but you're really better off just buying a welder for no reason whatsoever....
Old 01-03-2008, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

NAPA, which is an Interstate if I recall. The issue I had is that some '84s were "early 84s" and the battery in the database was about 3 inches longer and DARN if it would go in. I went with the '85 part number (which is what I took out) and it slid in fine. If anyone knows of why the '84 part number didn't fit fill me in (maybe had to remove the washer pumps to install).

Anyway, I also got a quick disconnect so during the winter I wasn't draining it with the clock.
......and a minivan for the crew
Old 01-03-2008, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Be careful of the red top Optima.. if you do let it drain all the way it can be very very difficult to bring back. Even if its for a short period of time. You can't put an automatic charger on it at that point as it appears to not take a charge.. you have to use a manual trickle and it takes several days.

Mine will now start my car once.. so its a nice looking jump start battery now.

Go for the deep cycle versions.. They can take the loss of charge when you forget to connect your trickle.. (yellow top I think).

'76 911s Ice Green Metallic bone stock
Old 01-03-2008, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

+1 on the Optima!

I installed a 6V Optima in my 356 12 years ago. I have probably driven the car only 2000 miles in that time and start the car once every couple of months. I've only had to recharge the battery a handful of times in that time. The last time I had to recharge was because I left the lights on all day while it was parked at the golf course. I'm amazed how this battery has lasted and has been able to hold a charge even though I rarely drive the car. I cannot believe that this battery still works after all of this time!

Thanks,

Gabe
Old 01-03-2008, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: