Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Pool Janitor

Is a chattering sound normal starting out in 1st gear? '88 Carrera

I donít know if itís normal or not but my Cabriolet has a very subtle chatter in neutral/ engine speed at idle. The sound is a soft ratchitty/ spinning plasticky sound? It goes completely away with the clutch depressed. The same sounds are amplified whilst starting out in 1st under low power or light to medium throttle input. I never hear it in any forward gear higher then 1st. I can also make it not do it if I give more than easy or take off in a more spirited fashion. Iím new to older 911ís so not sure if the sound is present in other cars or not. But my automotive experience in general tells me it sounds like a throw-out-bearing or similar type of sound or chatter. Any suggestions? Car is again a stock í88 with 60,800 miles clutch engages smooth and tight, great pedal feel too. Just sort of an annoying sound. Perhaps I just need more practice launching the car more smoothly?

-Ryan
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"
< '88 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet Sold >
Old 01-03-2008, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

G50 trannies are (in)famous for the chattering they produce when taking off from a start. However, I have not heard of this sound occurring when at idle with the trans in neutral.

I would park the car with the engine running and get underneath to try to pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

I'm sure you'll get more knowledgable replies soon,

ianc

P.S. - Let me amend that: is the sound affected by the position of the gearshift lever? Seems I recall reading about a service bulletin which involved putting a rubber ring around the shift rod in the access plate in front of the rear seats to stop this...

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 01-03-2008, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

my 87 makes the exact noise yer describing. be it swepco or mobil 1 zoom zoom oil. can you say gear lash.

as far as neutral and making noise.........well sumthang is a rattling against sumthang. as mentioned fire it up while on lift and get underneath and see if anything loose.

by the way i have 119,000 miles on my g-50 and its never been apart. added wevo shifter and precision shift joint.

i hear the gear lash everytime i take mine down dirt driveway and road going putt putt at low rpms until i hit pavement. everyjuan asks me about noise so i asked patrick moto and answer was gear lash.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I experience something along the same lines on occasion with my 915 trans. Only happens at low rpms/low speeds in 1st & 2nd gear only when the engine (thus assume gear oil) is warm, thus think it may be a lash with lower viscosity gear oil at temp. Trans is full of Swepco 201. My sound is like mentioned, but to add more description, similar to a warped rotor sound (cyclical, not continuous), not high pitch metalic, more a lower frequency "whoa whoa whoa".

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Do a search on G60 gear chatter here and you'll find a lot of references to it. It's okay as long as it's light.

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 01-04-2008, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

I am having the same issue. Its only at idle when the clutch is not depressed. Once I press the clutch in, the sound goes away. I notice sometimes its worse that other times. Sometimes there is no chattering at all. My car has 53,000 miles and is completely stock. It shifts beautifully and the clutch is smooth with no problems. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one and its not in my head.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Same noises here as well. The clutch has always chattered a low speed. I found, from this forum and my local independent, that this normal. The clutch has since started a light chatter in neutral as well. I'm not too worried about it, The cars shifts fine.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Pool Janitor

Thanks for the replies Pelican's I guess it's just inherent with the design? My wife just always says "That sound awful" everytime shes in the car with me.

-Ryan
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"
< '88 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet Sold >
Old 01-04-2008, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have the noise also....running Redline. Clutch in and sound goes away. I also get the sound in lower speeds of all gears but 5th... I have to check again.. I'm getting pretty used to it at this point. Before I put in a spring clutch and rebuilt the top end I didn't have the noises.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

HI -Ryan
You could try this, I posted on hear,

Engine vibration at 3000rpm

and this below is for your education purpose only,

with this you should be able to make it a little quieter.

regards mike

1983 911 SC sport, 1982 mini city
Old 01-04-2008, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
UFLYICU

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ZOA NOM
OK Mike, where do I get that book?
Racer Rix Spec911 #5

prc-racing.com
Old 01-04-2008, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

HI ZOANAS.
"where do I get that book?".

you have to be in the right place at the right time!!!.

regards mike

1983 911 SC sport, 1982 mini city
Old 01-04-2008, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Garage
Get a louder muffler.

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 01-04-2008, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
UFLYICU

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ZOA NOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBEngineering View Post
HI ZOANAS.
"where do I get that book?".

you have to be in the right place at the right time!!!.

regards mike
No kidding. That's worth it's weight in gold. I think I'll add you to my Buddy's List. Is there anything I can do for you?
Racer Rix Spec911 #5

prc-racing.com
Old 01-04-2008, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreit View Post
Get a louder muffler.
That's always good advice ! Just for the record, and while maybe it's not "uncommon", not all G50s do it...mine doesn't.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Mine is definitely noisy but has had the shift rod padding update so I don't think that's it. It's comforting to know it's not uncommon.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
So there's two o-ring band aids for these transmissions?

Here's the first one I found out about in the 1974-89 Parts & Technical Specifications book.

Mike's more elaborate one in the factory service manuals makes #2.

These transaxles seem very durable, but they're also very noisy. I recall the same being said of the original ZF six speed used in the 1989 L98 Corvettes.

My trans. used to be like KC911's- fairly quiet. Then a few years of driving it hard at driver ed events has made it noisy in neutral like others say. My shifter assembly is nicely refreshed with new bushings and so forth. It also has the makeshift fixes applied to it (wrapped shift rod and the cheesball rear o-ring tensioning trick that did not stand the test of time) which were apparently done by the previous owner(s) via taking it to a Porsche dealer. The first time I ever opened the tunnel access plate in 2001, the o-ring was loosely flopping around in there..........

My vote is for something like mainshaft bearings. I'll have more evidence to back up my beliefs when this thing gets opened up this winter.

Last edited by KTL; 01-04-2008 at 10:55 AM..
Old 01-04-2008, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
My '89 does the same.....although there are several DIFFERENT "rattles" to consider.

"Rattle Trap" article was a good one and can be found by searching. Of course the above mentioned ones are related.... more shift rod related noises...several mods to quieten this particular one down.

The gear lash rattle is quite common upon lugging the engine....no worries on this one. It's simply normal (and not all do it)..?.....!

And, finally, the rattle you speak of seems to be the one my car has......: push the clutch in, the noise goes away...Idling, you can hear the rattle,..it seems a bit louder when really cold,...but will diminish as she warms up,..BUT NOT go away completely. I'm kinda' with you in that it appears something is not happy within the clutch system (TOB, fork, plate, flywheel,..etc..) I plan to get this looked at when I drop the engine for an upcoming timecert on a crossthreaded #1 plug (damned PO...) Some people have noise when clutch is out (idle) and others have noise when clutch is in (idle). I'm told these are related to 2 different things actually .

Otherwise, she shifts like buttery silk and functions perfectly....

Best,
25th Anniversary Special Edition
Middle Georgia
Old 01-04-2008, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Mine rattles also. Idling, neutral, no clutch, when hot. Depressing clutch makes it go away. Not when cold. Also rattles if I am lugging the engine below 2000RPM (which I try to avoid), in all gears. 146K miles on tranny. Mine has all of the shift rod rattle fixes installed - so it isn't the shift rod on mine ...
Old 01-04-2008, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Clutch in is typically a throw-out/release bearing, or flywheel pilot bearing. Clutch out is numerous things. Mine's only got 81K and it is NOISY clutch out. Goes away when the muffler comes off at the track.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: