Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Author of "101 Projects"

Porsche Crisis Coming Soon...

It's Friday night, and I'm doing what I usually do late each Friday - refunds for Pelican. Our financial week ends Saturday night, so the credits are all assembled by my crew and I review and process them at the end of the week. I like to keep tabs on where the money's going, and also what we are refunding for.

Anyways, this is a direct window into Porsche and how they are not supplying the parts for these older cars anymore. The number of NOSTOCK returns has just been skyrocketing lately, as Porsche liquidates their old inventory and/or moves it all to Germany. We have all enjoyed many years of being able to get just about any part for the older 911s - those days are unfortunately coming to a rapid end...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series101 Projects for Your Porsche 911How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 • SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 01-12-2008, 12:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I've been worried too.......I hope Porsche Classic steps up the program.
Follow us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/flatsixinc
Old 01-12-2008, 12:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driving member

Garage
That is not good news. That means the dismantlers will be gouging even more as well.

Unlike women, a race car is an inanimate object. Therefore it must, eventually, respond to reason.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

I picked one hell of a time to take on a resto project.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

the interior pieces will suffer the most as dashes become NLA if not already etc. The nice thing is appbiz reproduces carpets and door panels but not original..

Wayne what parts do you see the biggest issue with?? what should I stock pile?

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 01-12-2008, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Michael Delaney wanna-be

Crisis indeed....just when I need interior stuff.

More importantly, you guys are up way too early on a Saturday morning!
C.R.A.P. Gruppe Member #7
Old 01-12-2008, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wayne -

From what you are seeing, how are you defining 'older' 911s? 60-70s? 80s?

Jon
Old 01-12-2008, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I guess the big question is, "are there enough older 911's to justify having the NLA parts made?"

Vertex has been building (or having them built) cooling fans and shrouds for a while now. I'm sure they're having other parts made. Does Pelican have similar plans?

As for the parts in Germany, does this mean we have to go to Porsche for the parts or does it mean Pelican can buy them, they just can't stock them?
Old 01-12-2008, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Looks like I'm parting out my car and on to eBay, baby!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Couple that with a dollar that is dead in value and it gets real ugly.
The good news is that most of the Porsche salvage operations are in the US.
Not many junk yards with an early 911 in Europe.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Didn't I see someone making a fiberglass 911 dash? Then if appbiz would make a leather stiched recover kit for that now a NLA part is now available again and could be better than the OEM partas far as fit.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 01-12-2008, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

has porsche given any reason for this? i seem to remember a couple years ago porsche was pushing to have a program similar to mercedes and bmw who have good classic parts distribution systems. i guess financially keeping stock of classic parts is not very lucrative. i would think the most profitable car company would support its products better especially since so much of there current sales are based on the reputation of there older cars. have you been able to contact porsche to find a solution? is it possible pelican could offer to become porsche's warehouse?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
Didn't I see someone making a fiberglass 911 dash? Then if appbiz would make a leather stiched recover kit for that now a NLA part is now available again and could be better than the OEM partas far as fit.

seems jeff alton had one in his recent pictures on the body work forum.. Interesting

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 01-12-2008, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Great opportunity for the Aftermarket industry.

Unfortunately this will also drive up Porsche theft as the used parts prices go up when the OEM stops supplying.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete000 View Post
Great opportunity for the Aftermarket industry.

Unfortunately this will also drive up Porsche theft as the used parts prices go up when the OEM stops supplying.
Absolutely.

In adversity lies opportunity.

Black Cars Matter
Old 01-12-2008, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Wayne:

Are there any parts in particular that you think may become very difficult to find? Are there any specific items we may want to consider buying now before they break to avoid paying super high prices in the future or worse?

I have always just assumed I could get any part I needed for my 1987 Carrera.

I would not be surprised if something like this is not the catalyst for driving air-cooled 911 prices through the roof. In the VERY near future we will all be kicking ourselves for not picking up a solid 911T at a mere $30,000.

Mike
Old 01-12-2008, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick V View Post
I picked one hell of a time to take on a resto project.
Any particular years or eras affected more than others? I mean I can figure for myself the older the car, the harder the job to locate the part. But are all air cooleds affected in one way or another?

I could easily walk away from all things Porsche if that's what they want. When the air cooleds go, so does the Boxster and any interest in the marque. Someone wants my money.

On the brighter side, I see a bigger cottage industry making replacement parts. What with the exchange rate, we would be bucks ahead to make our own. Maybe someday I'll start a thread about the need and for what. We already have many companies in motion making suspension, air conditioning and engine parts, not to mention some of the sheet metal.

Fuchs Porsche AG.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

This has been a trend within porsche for years. If you look at the older parts manuals, there was great detail on all the pieces for all the years. Along came Pet 5 and some of the bits were no longer listed. Sure a picture was shown of the part you may need, but no corresponding p/n and a way to get it.
Supercessions on sheet metal stampings are a prime example of "time marches on". If you order a trunk floor for a 911, you get a late model 89 stamping with the booster mounting holes blocked off. Not very original is it?
What about re-issue parts? This is not always a blessing- the 69- 75 speaker grill dashpad is an example. It looks right from the outside, but they based it on the newer 77 up armature with incorrect dimensions and molding. They require a ton of work to make them fit. What do you think Stoddard and other distributors like about all the flak they have been receiving over this? Someone upstairs at Porsche will most likely say " To heck with it! It's not worth the hassles"

At the bottom of this is what profit can Porsche make stocking 1965- 2007 parts on the shelf? Before this great restoration / hot rod wave started, Porsche Classics was born complete with their own microfiche filing and order policies thru Stoddard (anyone remember that?) . It was not really successful as not many here remember it. Do any of you remember the container loads of 914-6 oil tanks being sent to the crusher? $200 9 and 11 x 15 fuchs on inventory blow out sales?

With today's Just in Time production models, we will never see those days again. Its just too costly to keep the stuff around if you built too much of it. Directors heads would roll if they made those kind of errors. Porsche must think of profit first, image second, and somewhere down the line is heritage. That's the way of the corporate world

Conclusions?
1) more aftermarket companies will look at the potential for profit (read volume) in making specific parts
2) The small detail parts will give way to aftermarket different looking but functionally correct pieces common with other makes (app biz is a good example with their fine offerings of carpet, panels, etc but it is not the real deal with the majority of what they offer)
3) The older original cars will increase in value if all correct oe parts
4) New companies/ individuals will be making parts no longer available- but they won't be cheap
5) Fewer will be restoring cars
Old 01-12-2008, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Ultimately won't this trickle down to hurting the speciality shops that work on the older air-cooled cars?

After all, if the part costs double or triple and the labor rate is $100/hr ... yikes.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

It's going to hurt all of us for a while, but given the obsession these cars create in the hearts of their owners and the lust the provoke on the minds (loins?) of want-to owners, the aftermarket will step up and step in.

As you can see in my sig I had a 65 Mustang, and I had that car for almost 10 years. Of course, there were a about a million Mustangs built and sold in '65 and '66, which is a couple of orders of magnitude greater than any comparible 2 years of Porsche production, so there is a much bigger market overall for the Mustangs. But there are parallels.

When I first bought that car in 1996, the supply of NOS parts was just coming to an end (30 years after production!), and the after/reproduciton market was healthy but limited to appearance items like chrome and interior trim, upholstery and such. You could get repro hoods and fenders, partial floor pans, etc. But some critical items like suspension, rear quarters and frame rails (Mustangs and Falcons were the first ever unibody cars, IIRC) and rocker panels and front cowlings were salvage-only items.

Fast forward to 2005. By then, I could basically buy an entire 65/66 Mustang as repro parts. All critical, structural items were available, and at pretty resonable cost. And the "resto-mod" trend in muscle cars was in full swing, so modernized suspensions and reinforced parts were common and heavily used in the resto hobby/trade. Today, concours-correct cars garner less interest and often lower prices than nicely modded ones. Blame Elenor from Gone in 60 Seconds if you must.

And today what can you get? As of this year you will be able to buy a completely new replacement tub for the early Mustangs and Camaros. The company making the Camaro unibodies bought tooling from GM, and I hear from friends that the quaility is really amazing.

So what I am trying to say is that the nature of our economy is to abhore a vacuum. If the demand is there, and I think the fact that Rota is making and subydude is quickly selling repro Fuchs is one sure sign that it is, I suspect the companies that make repro parts for lots of other obsolete marques will step in at some point soon.

So we are now at the point the Mustangs were 12-15 years ago. The air cooled Porsches have every bit of classic appeal that the Mustangs do, IMO, and then some. It may hurt for a while, but I seriously doubt it will for long.
08 Mazdaspeed3
65 Mustang 2+2 (347ci) - Sold!

Last edited by schnellmann; 01-12-2008 at 09:33 AM..
Old 01-12-2008, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: