Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Lights for Heater and Fresh air contols

How are the light supposed to look behind the heater console? Mine are just flapping around back there. It seems like I get more light on my feet than anything meaningful. Are they just supposed to light up the open slider slots?

Old 01-27-2008, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Also, Does this thing just pop out? In other words can I just push on the back of it and it will pop out the front?
Old 01-27-2008, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
What's Facebook?

Garage
If I recall correctly, there are 3 bulbs involved with the fresh air control. The bulbs slip into each end if the control behind the labels. I think there is a clear plastic piece that runs along the slider to reflect the light from the bulbs. Two bulbs come on with the park lamps and the third bulb lights when the fan is running.

The control unit cannot be easily removed from the dash because of the push/pull cables that are routed to the front side of the bulkhead. Remove the ashtray and look for the bulb connectors. They may have slipped out of their sleeves on the control or they are burned out.

I find the interior control illumination of the SC to be barely acceptable when everything is working correctly. I often use braille to find and adjust most controls in my SC after the sun sets.
1986.5 928 5-Speed - 36,000 miles
2001 330Ci
Old 01-27-2008, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I haven't taken mine out yet, but it appears there are a total of four lights (at least openings for four). I purchased a new one at a swap meet for a ventilation project I a working on.

Here are some pictures of the back that may help. It's not obvious to me by just looking at the part how it is attached to the dash.

Top:

Bottom:

Frank
Early911SReg #2945
Old 01-27-2008, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
What's Facebook?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc View Post
I haven't taken mine out yet, but it appears there are a total of four lights (at least openings for four). I purchased a new one at a swap meet for a ventilation project I a working on.

Here are some pictures of the back that may help. It's not obvious to me by just looking at the part how it is attached to the dash.

Top:

Frank
I recall only 2 lamps for illumination and the wiring diagrams shows only 2 also. It is possible to have an additional lamp.

The unit is a friction fit into the dash. The bracket on the very bottom of the picture goes through a stud on the bulkhead and held in place with a nut.
1986.5 928 5-Speed - 36,000 miles
2001 330Ci
Old 01-27-2008, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

There are mounting holes in all four corners for the lights. I believe that they are #2721 bulbs, little bayonet style bulbs. The bulb holders push into the sockets on the back of the faceplate. I have seen the holes for the light sockets, that have been damaged, and the bulb holders won't stay in the faceplate.
1954 Dodge C-1-B8-108" 241V8 POLY
1973 Roadrunner 440-SIX-PACK*
1986 F-250 Super Cab-460 V8 tow
Newest additions-
Matching numbers 1973 340 Road Runner!!
1948 Dodge B-1-F-152" 1-1/2 ton Dump body, 39,690 miles
others...
Old 01-27-2008, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

WOOPS, I forgot to mention, if you do remove the ashtray and its housings, there is also one of the same type bulbs that lights up your ashtray. It is in a strange little 90 degree, rubber socket that mounts into the top plate above the ashtray. It is a PITA sometime, to get it back in correctly. Be prepared for sore hands, fingers, and wrists, when replacing all of these lights. Good luck!! Tony.
1954 Dodge C-1-B8-108" 241V8 POLY
1973 Roadrunner 440-SIX-PACK*
1986 F-250 Super Cab-460 V8 tow
Newest additions-
Matching numbers 1973 340 Road Runner!!
1948 Dodge B-1-F-152" 1-1/2 ton Dump body, 39,690 miles
others...
Old 01-27-2008, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The only light on mine that works is the one on the top right corner one that illuminates when the fresh air fan is engaged. I like it that way.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
I think these things have changed over the years - Let's be clear what year each posting is about.

But, yes, at least some parts of the text/diagrams/red/blue stuff on the unit should light on all years of 911s.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
On my 85, she had 4 bayonett bulbs purchased a local auto supply store. before you put them back in make sure the light bulbs have a good contact and test them.

They are real PITA if you have to do it twice or more. Ask me how I know

Be warned it is really tight in there.

With the head lights on, 3 lights two left and one right bottom are constant. the top right when level is in the fan mode.

I also replaced my ash tray light. It is designed to project light in a certain direction. so position and adjust. It's nice to see the coins now to feed the meter.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 01-27-2008 at 01:47 PM..
Old 01-27-2008, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

My '87 930 has 3 of the 1.2w 2721 lights around the heater console - two on the passenger side, and one on the top of the driver's side. The bottom opening in the driver's side is empty.

The light over the ashtray is one of the bayonet style (12v/2w 3898) bulbs - like most of the gauge lights in the car.

Eric
Old 01-27-2008, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I keep thinking that these bulbs are great candidates for LED replacements.
Own a gun and you can rob a bank , own a bank and you can rob the world.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterytrain View Post
I keep thinking that these bulbs are great candidates for LED replacements.
My thoughts exactly. I just replaced my all of my dash gauge lights with leds and am very happy with the less than $20 I spent on them. It got rid of the yellow light and made my white face gauges actually appear white.

I noticed the heater controls bulbs are just dangling back there and are all yellow. So I ordered a few more white leds and am going to attempt to replace all of them (heater control lights) with the leds. I have a few extra dash gauge bulb holders from a car I parted out so I can now use the same type LED bulb on all of my dash lights including the heater/fresh air controls and the ash tray.

My only question was where did the light actually belong. Now I have that tidbit I can move forward.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
I think these things have changed over the years - Let's be clear what year each posting is about.

But, yes, at least some parts of the text/diagrams/red/blue stuff on the unit should light on all years of 911s.
Rwebb makes a good point. The '77 has bulb holders a-plenty on the heater sliders, at the corners, like most of the later years seem to.

When I had the controls out recently, I decided I only wanted the fan indicator. Maybe I just got used to it being that way.

But then, I tend to turn the instrument lights down until they're like watch dials anyway, and I won't consider LED replacements for the clocks until I can figure out how to dim them out-of-town..
Old 01-27-2008, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I found this thread very useful today in trying to figure out how to resurrect my heater control lights. My 74 has four little sockets as shown in the picture, and appears to use only three of them... two on the left and one on the right. My sockets, which you can just see with a flashlight and mirror, are badly bent out of shape and won't hold bulbs. How this happens with hard plastic I don't know, but bent they are. So if there's someone out there who is having a similar problem, check first to see if the sockets look like they will hold the lamps. Has anybody found a way to cope with this problem without disassembling the whole dashboard? Thanks
73 Targa (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by moneymanager; 11-09-2008 at 04:19 PM..
Old 11-09-2008, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Back in New England!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MattAlpha Send a message via MSN to MattAlpha
jhtaylor,

I did this about three years ago. It wasn't as bad for me some of these guys say it was for them. Its tight, but I've got skinny wrists so that helps.

I didn't have to dissamble the dash, I just removed my lower dash cover and had assess to all the bulbs by laying down in the driver's foot area. If you want to remove your heater/fresh air control's housing, remove the cables attached to the levers and then remove the mounting nut and you should be able to pull the housing out from the front of the dash. A bit of a pain, but a lot less hassle then removing the windshield so you can remove the dash and disassemble everything else.

-Matt
'78 RoW 911SC Targa converted to a '86-like 3.2L Cab (w/930 body & No A/C) Custom subframe integrated into AutoPower Half Cage, Euro Ride Height, Turbo Tie-Rods, WeltMeister Bump Steer Kit, Sway-Away 26mm Rear Torsion Bars, Koni Adjustable Shocks and Strut Inserts, Two Bar Rennline Strut Tower Brace, Poly Motor Mounts, WEVO Trans Mounts, Modified Conical K&N Intake, ER PB A-arm bushings and 17" CUP3 Wheels. Steve Wong Chip!
Old 11-09-2008, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks Matt. Looks like the panel has to come out if I ever want to have lights behind it. Can you remember how the cables are attached to the levers on the dash panels?
Old 11-09-2008, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Does anyone know if you can remove the cables from the dash end or must one remove from the trunk side. If can do from the dash end, how? Lynn
Old 11-09-2008, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

If anyone would like me to take a look at something in particular on the vent control system levers/cables (I supplied the picture above), I still have the unit out of my car so I can do so easily. Or a photo from a different angle perhaps?

Frank
Early911SReg #2945
Old 11-09-2008, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Frank, your very good pics show the cables entering the levers. What is on the other side of each lever? Do they just hook in or is there something which secures them to the levers? Thanks,
Old 11-09-2008, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: