Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Mike Feinstein

Post Cost estimate to build 1.5 car garage - OT

Thinking of building a little P-car paradise along side my house. There are some size constraints (and I already have a 3 car garage but would prefer the kids not have access to the P-car and tools, etc.).

It would be about 22 feet deep x 14 feet wide. I'd like the ceiling to be at least 12' to accomodate a lift. The front must be brick (neighborhood covenant). Sides can be pressboard siding or vinyl. One (long) side of the garage will run alongside the house so only 3 sides will be required (unless there's a structural problem with this). It will need electrical, a pass door, and a window or two (will probably go with a window a/c unit). The inside could be unfinished as I would prefer to do that myself. There would need to be some dirt brought in to level the site which now has about a 10-15% slope.

Any ideas regarding the cost to have this done, say +/- 20%?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mike
94 C2 cab
Old 04-10-2001, 05:45 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
1.2gees

A friend of mine just did something quite similar to what you're planning, except his was a tad larger than yours. It cost him around $27k I believe, including the lifts, it was NOT touching his house at all however, and that included the electric garage doors, ac, etc etc.

I don't know if this helps, btw that was in North Carolina...
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
Old 04-10-2001, 06:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
gslater

Mike -

I built a new 22' x 20' detached 2 car garage 3 years ago. It has good electrical service with outlets everywhere, an 8' x 16' foot door with opener, a roof constructed with trusses, a normal door on the side, 10' high finished walls painted plain, bright white, one decent-sized window, and a bunch of lights everywhere (no problem at all working in there at night, much to the occasional dismay of my neighbors). The front is finished with painted cedar lap siding, and the sides are T-111 sheets. Normal composition roof, gutters, etc..

My dad and I did all the work ourselves, except for pouring the concrete floor, because I knew I wouldn't be able to create the high-quality finish that I wanted, along with the proper slope.

I kept pretty good records of the costs, but I never have gone back to add it all up exactly. I took a quick look through my receipts, and I'd probably estimate the total costs at somewhere around $8K. The most expensive single part was probably the concrete floor, since it was the only thing that included labor costs.

------------------
Greg Slater
1980 SC
gslater@uswest.net
Old 04-10-2001, 10:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Alan Herod

Porsche Crest

Hi Mike,

I sent you this to your email, some useful information from our builder -- I suspect your building cost are lower then here -- DC-Metro area, but it should be close -- can't say about the grading work, or bringing in fill material.

There was an optional cost sheet on the internet that costed the price of add-ons. I am planning the garage annex and we have not even closed on the house yet. I think the costs will be useful. I only required that the ceiling was 11' to accommodate the lift. There is an inherent problem with the covenants -- the garage door probably needs to match the look of the garage door on your house and of course you will have to have your design approved by the architectural committee, but the problem that we faced was the track -- the tallest standard track was 9
feet which place the track 2 feet away from the ceiling. The door seems to be only 7 feet, so the Monterro will barely make it and clearly won't go on the lift. We extended the vertical part of the track two feet to
bring it closer to the ceiling -- the good part of that is that the garage is deep enough that the lift can be placed far enough back that it won't hit a car raised on the lift.

Clearly I want to do more planning on the annex then I did on this garage though.

From the URLs below I expect that a detached two car garage is $12K +
brick veneer at $6.50 sq Ft
Windows $800 - $1600 (got to match the house)
Bonus room over the garage $10K or with dormers $13K

I know that you said one car, but not too much price difference and you know you can use the space.

I hope this helps

Alan

(our builders) exterior options --
http://www.qbhi.com/eoptions.htm

interior options -- outlets, facilities
http://www.qbhi.com/ioptions.htm

I have tried to convince my wife in an off-handed kind of way that we should be able to use some of the basement space for garage annex -- there is plenty of room, only the doors would have to be made bigger. But, only half-hearted effort because I really like the idea of a detached annex, for painting and other smelly jobs.
Old 04-11-2001, 03:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
jabb

Cool

Built a 3 car dettached garage 2 1/2 years
ago. 24x36 3 overhead doors 1 side entrance door. Roof Truss system constructed
for overhead storage. Concrete work was a three part pour (Footings,Walls,Floor Slab) as opposed to one piece or Monopoured Slab.
Electrical (Lights plugs and Overhead door outlets)
Exterior is Cedar front, T-11 sides and back
gutters, and excavation work 23K

------------------
  • Joe A.
  • 84 911 Targa
  • 75 914/6 3.0
Old 04-11-2001, 04:31 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
orbmedia

If possible go bigger than you think you need now. I have 4 car and it seems waaaaay too small for all of my projects. Go 8 car to be on the safe side.

Wanna drool? See this link for a really insane approach:

http://www.instant-g.com/Facilities/Garage/index.html

Old 04-11-2001, 08:00 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Mike Feinstein

Thanks to everyone. I now have a feel for what I face. Unfortunately, there's just no room for anything wider or longer than 14x23.

Once again, you guys have come through.

Much obliged!
Old 04-11-2001, 11:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Old 04-11-2001, 11:14 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: