Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Vintage car alarm, The Ungo Box. Need Information

Fellow enthusiasts.

I have purchased a 78 930.
In the glove compartment there is installed something i have found out is an alarm system. It is labeled "The Ungo Box2 and it is the "Glove box" model.

See this link for details: http://www.techneltd.com/glovebox.htm

It looks professionally installed and i would like to keep it for historic reasons. But i have no idea of how it works. I have no code or manuals and would hate to set it of without knowing how to disable it.

Anyone that have a similar device that can make me a description or even better anyone that have the manual that can make an electronic copy of it for me.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ungo is a great alarm!

I've had an Ungo in my Carrera and motorcycle forever. There are one of the better alarm with a mercury switch to detect motion, which means fewer false alarms. The Harley people with straight pipes will not set off your alarms. They were purchased by Clarion and fell off the radar to some extent.

I have the manual for the 6000 series, so if needed I can scan. Otherwise try looking for information at:

www.remotesunlimited.com
www.keylessride
www.autotechs.com

Ungo's original shop is in Mountain View and I hear they still do some repair work, but the guy is only in the office from 6 am to 10 am. I couldn't find their number, but I can drive by there sometime if needed.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If I remember correctly, this older UNGO has some wheels with numbers on it that you set a code on? That's why it was called the UNGO Box. The newer units have remotes but 1978 was pre-remote days. Really no need to keep for any historical significance, I would remove the wiring and put the car back to stock, leave the box if you want significance. Most of the wires should go directly to the passenger side fuse panel and should be easy to straighten out. Look for an interrupt on the fuel pump fuse wiring, can't remember which fuse # it is and don't have a manual handy.
Regards,
Charles
1964 Safari Rally Comet
Editor www.Bench-Racing.com
Old 02-08-2008, 10:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
I had a '79 SC with an UNGO box. I thought it was kind of retro-cool too until it malfunctioned and shut the car down while my wife was driving it. If you like the retro UNGO looks, keep it in the car, but disable it.
'66 911 #303872
'58 Land Rover SII SWB
'12 Boss 302
Old 02-08-2008, 10:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have a '77 that has a "Manta" alarm installed. It looks very similar to the "Ungo" box -and works basically the same.

I'll scan the instructions if you want. I think it works pretty much the same way.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rich has it exactly right, if your vintage UNGO is wired into the car's ignition as the antitheft feature and you are driving down the road and it can shut your car off WHILE driving. My friend was an UNGO dealer back in the day and he used to wire my systems w/o that feature because they did fail. It was rather embarassing driving down the road with the siren blaring! As least it didn't kill the car.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
nice doggie

I had an ungo box in my 78 SC when I bought it. It died miserably and caused several unexplained electrical issues including strange loss of power while driving. I ripped the whole thing out and am much happier. I was not impressed with my installation (other than the cool LEDs in the doors) or the quality of the components.

78 SC hotrod
02 Mini Cooper S
Old 02-08-2008, 12:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hmmm... well i do not want to have it failing on me doing 150 down the autobahn so i might just disconnect it to be sure. But it would be nice to have a user manual for it.

Thanks carrera32911 for the links. I will request information from the referenced sites.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Garage
I had one of those in my car back in 82 good alarms prevented several breakins but if you dont have the combo for the box dont arm it you will never get it disarmed without ripping the wiring out. I would suggest you remove it and replace it with a different alarm. It was one of the only alarms in its day that would prevent someone from jacking up your car to tow or remove the wheels thats why it had to be perfectly level with respect to the car, in one instance some people were trying to get me to disarm the alarm so they could break in by throwing pebbles at it to set it off and then call the cops to complain I saw them do this several times. Another time I saw a cat jump up on the car and set it off that cat went about 4 feet straight up LOL. Good luck.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 02-08-2008, 05:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry to high-jack the thread, but it reminded me I need an old Ungo remote. Any one got one?

Old 02-08-2008, 06:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

all those antique alarm systems need to be yanked.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
i'm just a cook

best of luck with your ungo removal-ectomy.
the ungo people were completely non-helpful when i spoke with them about getting rid of mine.
the impression i was left with was that they thought i was after information to crack their systems to steal cars. unless they have a record of selling to you, they don't want to talk to you.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
Quote:
Originally Posted by john walker's workshop View Post
all those antique alarm systems need to be yanked.
that's what i'm talking about

i have never seen and older GOOD ungo....but that's just me
Old 02-08-2008, 08:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell View Post
that's what i'm talking about

i have never seen and older GOOD ungo....but that's just me
Ungo was good back in the day. I always heard of somebody cracking the cliffords or disabling them by drilling a hole in the brain, but I never heard of anybody beating an ungo box. I have a more modern version of an ungo alarm in my car now but will be updating it with something else as I looked at the new stuff and it looks like clarion let ungo wither and die on the vine so to speak.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 02-09-2008, 03:56 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
12 years and 17k posts...

Garage
I had an old Hofco alarm that caused all kinds of trouble for me and ended up costing several thousand dollars to "fix" the problems it was causing AFTER I had a local car stereo shop re,ove it! Tab Tanner at Autobahn Garage found that the derelict alarm was still actively wired to the ignition and fuel pump, causing the no-start and "dies while driving" issues I was having.
www.ford.com
Old 02-09-2008, 04:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I've got an Ungo in mine, and it works great. I think I have a manual around here somewhere. I'll try to scan it soon.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

What's the procedure to remove these things if I decided to? What's a good modern alternative?
Old 02-09-2008, 10:56 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Garage
If I remember correctly if you take the cover off the box the disarm code might be on a sticker inside the box it might be worth a try otherwise the removal should be pretty easy as the only thing I think it interrupted was the ignition so trace down where it connects and reconnect that and cut the rest of the wires for the door triggers, the mercury switch is inside the box so no disassembly there. If the wiring is in good shape you can use it to wire in the new alarm just label the wires as to where they go.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: