Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What I know about 959s couldn't fill a thimble, but I would tread carefully. Somethings fishy.

You'd think somebody asking 100K for anything would be able to provide reams of documentation, info and pictures, even if there is a language barrier..
Old 03-22-2008, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Capitalist and Patriot

Porsche Crest

Quote:
Offhand, (and it may just be the Japanese - English translation, but this guy seems suspicious to boot. Anyone who is in such a hurry to sell tingles my "spidey-sence". The car may be stolen or something like that. Who knows. He just sent me some more pics...

Your opinions and feedback are welcome...

-Wayne

Lost in translation? yah a bit of that for sure
and it does wreak a little bit of desperation... but again *never* is a strong indication of the value, that and if there are other legitimate bidders, one of which you know, that's got to count for something, right?

The part he mentions re: "no one has come to Japan to see in person" wouldn't necessarily alarm me, that's a long way to travel.

I'd look into: Title history of the vehicle in Japan, and even find someone to verify this, his ownership and the current condition of the vehicle and where it has been stored... pictures mean nothing other than what it looked like on that specific day whenthe pics were taken.. who knows what it looks like "today"

A little due dilligence and CYA could help a bit, especially on a investment like this, all things considering...
Old 03-22-2008, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to tmctguer
Wayne: listen up.......I would not spend $100K of my money without a flight to Japan to inspect the wreck. Even if the whole trip costs $3,500, it is worth the money to protect your $100,000 investment. You would also be able to meet the seller and hash out shipping details, which HAVE to be complex.
1993 Beck Spyder
2006 Ford GT (why I sold my Porsches)
Old 03-22-2008, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Capitalist and Patriot

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmctguer View Post
Wayne: listen up.......I would not spend $100K of my money without a flight to Japan to inspect the wreck. Even if the whole trip costs $3,500, it is worth the money to protect your $100,000 investment. You would also be able to meet the seller and hash out shipping details, which HAVE to be complex.
+1
Old 03-22-2008, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

from the listing: "FIRST, PLEASE PAY US$1000 TO MY BANK ACCOUNT. I'LL CARRY IN THE CAR TO THE SHIPPING COMPANY WITHIN 5 DAYS AFTER I CONFIRM THE RECEIPT OF $1000. YOU CAN CONTACT THE SHIPPING COMPANY TO CONFIRM IF THE CAR IS IN THEIR WAREHOUSE UNDER YOUR NAME AND READY TO BE SHIPPED. YOU CAN ALSO GET PHOTOS OF THE DELIVERY RECEIPT AND THE CAR IN THE WAREHOUSE. ONCE YOU CAN CONFIRM THE STAND-BY STATUS OF THE CAR, PLEASE PAY THE BALANCE OF THE TOTAL PURCHASE AMOUNT."

Enough said, me thinks. And not even the same sentence structure.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

*Must resist crackpipe!*

Seriously, there's a ton of parts here that could be useful. At $100K, if you were looking to repair / restore it, forget it, there's no way it would be practical. If you were to part it out, you're probably looking at $250-$300K+ worth of parts when you sell everything piecemeal over the next 10 years. Trouble is, who needs a complete 959 engine? Practically no one, so the engine itself is more like a paperweight or neat display model in your showroom. It's not like the 917/908 engines we auctioned off - they are swapped in an out of the cars for historic racing. These engines are not taken out, nor are they used, nor do they only last 35 hours either. A 959 engine will last a long time.

On top of that (in traditional Pomona-style fashion), I got what everyone has creed a "smokin deal" on my own car. This parts car seems expensive when compared to what I paid for mine.

Still, it's hard to resist when approached with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Is this what it felt like to be Spitzer?

-Wayne
-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 03-22-2008, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Capitalist and Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
*Must resist crackpipe!*

-Wayne
-Wayne
"Put down the mouse and step away slowly, no one wants to get hurt here..step away from the computer...slowly get into your 959 and go for a .....wait.....make that get into a 911 and drive away quickly"

Just kidding....

Need I remind you were all living viacariously thru you Wayne?

A man's got to know his limitations
Old 03-22-2008, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Hey, if it wasn't in Japan, it would be different, but man that adds so many layers and chances for things to go horribly wrong...

Spitzer? Once in a lifetime chance? Ummm...... didn't he dip regularly?
Old 03-22-2008, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
If you're really serious, which I personally think is crazy, aren't there any Pelicans in Japan, or who go to Japan, that could eyeball it, help with shipping if it turned out legit?

Just a thought.

Charles
Old 03-22-2008, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

It could be the photo but I think the front hood looks a bit off......

Seriously though, do you think there is anyone else that recognizes the potential or has the cash and technical expertise to pull it off?

Let it settle awhile and low-ball the snot out of it, if there is anyone else out there who recognizes it as a "Once in a Lifetime Opportunity" it will only be validated by this thread.

The seller only has two transactions and the current bidder has only 1. Very hokey. Check out his other items for sale. The whole auction seems a bit odd.

Good Luck,

Shane
Old 03-22-2008, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

I want the aluminum doors off that bad boy! hahaha
Old 03-22-2008, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
. Trouble is, who needs a complete 959 engine? Practically no one, so the engine itself is more like a paperweight or neat display model in your showroom. It's not like the 917/908 engines we auctioned off - they are swapped in an out of the cars for historic racing. These engines are not taken out, nor are they used, nor do they only last 35 hours either. A 959 engine will last a long time.
Not only would you have the only spare replacement in existence for the handful of people that own these cars, but you just never know what people want to do. Just look at the car in Bruce Anderson's book that Jerry Woods built. I am talking about the 911 with a 962 engine in it. Who's to say that someone else wouldn't get a wild hare? I honestly think that selling the engine would be one of the easier pieces to part with, unless of course, you wanted a spare of your own...

I personally think it's worth a flight to Japan. It will also help you figure out if the guy is real. If you tell him you are on your way and he gets weird, clearly it's a scam...
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 03-22-2008, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Wayne, send Sapporoguy over with a camera, he's in Japan and it's a small island...( not that I've been there but doesn't look that big on the map)
Uhm just out of curiousity, how many M1s can you buy for 100K ?
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 03-22-2008, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Freak View Post
Need I remind you were all living viacariously thru you Wayne?

A man's got to know his limitations[/I][/B]
Hence my sharing today!

-Wayne
Old 03-22-2008, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

There's a complete, running car in Europe right now for sale at just over $200K with about 150,000 miles on it. Just another datapoint for the discussion...

-Wayne
Old 03-22-2008, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Wayne:

How realistic would it be for you to hop on a plane and go look at the car? FWIW, I think that is the only way you'll get a real feel for it.

Whatever happens, I hope it works out!

Cheers,

Paul.
'89 Carrera Targa SOLD
Old 03-22-2008, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

What kind of person owns a wrecked 959 and "needs cash asap"? Wayne, you have a highly developed spidey-sense, and I think it is probably giving you an appropriate warning here. Something feels fishy about this to me.

That said, I have seen more discussion on whether to restore early "S's" in worse shape than that! It should be illegal to part out a 959! There were very few of these ever produced, and they will NEVER be produced again. Even if it cost you as much to restore this one as you have in your existing 959 you would still then have two 959's at good cost basis!!!

JA
Old 03-22-2008, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: