Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Carrera Cab Connoisseur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Wayne:

How realistic would it be for you to hop on a plane and go look at the car? FWIW, I think that is the only way you'll get a real feel for it.

Whatever happens, I hope it works out!

Cheers,

Paul.
+1 and then negotiate the price of the trip out of the $100,000.00 if you decide to purchase.
2003 BMW 330Ci MSport Individual
1973 Mercedes 350 Custom Convertible
Old 03-22-2008, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
It's definitely been sitting outside or at least in a dirty covered location. Remember, it rains buckets in Japan.

That being said, Sapporoguy is a 3 hour flight away. And if it drags out, I'll be in Tokyo in early June and would be happy to look it over for you.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
... get a wild hare?
Gotta watch the road for those wild hares.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
I'm here to cause trouble

I had a chance to buy John Bond's 911R back in 1973. It was $7000. Foolishly, I decided it was just too much $$ for an "old" 911. :-( Point is, in 10 years you may regret passing this one up...

JB
Old 03-22-2008, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrews View Post
That said, I have seen more discussion on whether to restore early "S's" in worse shape than that! It should be illegal to part out a 959! There were very few of these ever produced, and they will NEVER be produced again. Even if it cost you as much to restore this one as you have in your existing 959 you would still then have two 959's at good cost basis!!!

JA
These are two totally two different animals. The 911S is an *easy* car to restore. It shares almost all of it's parts with the 911Ts and 911Es. Aftermarket steel panels are readily available, as are almost all of the parts on the car. Imagine a car made entirely of early 911S doorpockets, and that's about the situation here. There just are no parts cars, no donors, and no parts available for some of the items on the car. In the photos, I see *tons* of stuff that's no longer available, and could be useful to me. Makes it very tempting.

But still, I can't see spending that amount of money for this car, and just sitting on the parts for a long time. If the car was here in the US, then maybe it would be a different story...

-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 03-22-2008, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbauman View Post
I had a chance to buy John Bond's 911R back in 1973. It was $7000. Foolishly, I decided it was just too much $$ for an "old" 911. :-( Point is, in 10 years you may regret passing this one up...

JB
Yup, if 959s become million dollar cars again, then this would be a true statement. The thing is, do I spend $100k+ on parts car and maybe get some parts I need, or do I actually spend the money on the parts I actually need. I'm a pack rat by nature, so something like this is very difficult for me to pass on. I also just realized that this car is priced at about $60,000 for the European buyers, since they have a stronger Euro at this time, compared to the dollar. So, I'll bet a European will end up buying it - at $60K, it's pretty cheap...

-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 03-22-2008, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Maybe Golden Albatross? Gotta have it, got to have IT, GOT IT. YES!! Now what?
DE instructor since 1985
Frank
Old 03-22-2008, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
up-fixing der car(ma)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to YTNUKLR
Somewhere, the parts you need and will need for your 959 can be acquired. At what price, I don't know, but it's *probably* a better price than having a wrecked 959 to drag around with you (that you also paid many thousands for).

Simplify, simplify, simplify...enjoy the 959 that works!
Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Remember to get a PPI. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Although a totally different animal, I felt a little pressured to buy my 911 because the seller said there were others seriously looking to buy it. Too many had been swept away from me because I was moving too slow on deals, and one I almost got caught buying a fraud. To point, I hurried my buy, didn't get a PPI, and now have a few problems I'm just getting around to fixing.

The fraud one I still wish I had bought...but then again, the car wasn't really for sale. Was suppose to be in New Jersey...next thing I know it's in Germany, and the guy wants Western Union money transfer instead of Paypal. And yes, the deal was a great bargain...and the guy needed money fast. Sounds kind of famailiar.

Somehow, put eyes on it...either yours or someone you know.

Last edited by Kaliv; 03-22-2008 at 08:19 PM..
Old 03-22-2008, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

That... does not look like a 1600 mile car/engine. Maybe I am too skeptical, but I think there is some BS going on here. But, if $100,000.00 parts cars is standard fare, jump all over it. Kyoto is a nice place to visit. I would recommend a brief vacation and take a look at it in person.
1954 Dodge C-1-B8-108" 241V8 POLY
1973 Roadrunner 440-SIX-PACK*
1986 F-250 Super Cab-460 V8 tow
Newest additions-
Matching numbers 1973 340 Road Runner!!
1948 Dodge B-1-F-152" 1-1/2 ton Dump body, 39,690 miles
others...
Old 03-22-2008, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

heres an easter parable for ya. once upon a time, along time ago, in a land far away ................

my moto dirty bike friend gary jensen who is the over 40 and over 50 class winner for baja went to the vintage world moto championships here in phx. with trailer loads of vintage bikes.

we had one particular penton 175 jackpiner(most coverted year) that was a roller with lets say 90% of all the parts there. yer basic roach, unloved sunrotted orphan.

after the first day of having it there with a price tag of a $1000 bucks and no real serious offers, gary said to me...."hold my beer and WATCH THIS!"

and so i did. the next thing gary does is start wrenching on that bike parts a flying. disassembled that damn thing in no time. parts laid out everywhere and then put price tags on each of the parts.

by sunday afternoon after parting it out he had made $2000 bucks off all of the parts.

they made a hell of alot of pentons. wayyyyy more than 959's.

knowing the hell i have gone thru restoring old pentons/husqvarnas/bultacos i think any parts you find still in useable/presentable condition are worth their weight in gold.

your only other choice is to machine/mfg. one offs and we all know how spendy that is.

i think buying it is a good deal. sell off the parts you know you will not need and recoup some of your money. save the rare parts and hope for the best.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Wayne,

Once in a lifetime may seem like the case since 959 cars are so rare. But once in a lifetime doesn't hold as much water these days as it used to. Why? Like others said, the internet is so far-reaching these days that another case like this will come along. There will be another person who crashes their precious rare 959 and the car will likely pop up somewhere online because of the reasons you previously stated:

-cost to repair properly is astronomical
-not practical to repair due to costs and time invested
-parts availability is difficult
-not many people/shops are qualified to repair correctly (not that this hasn't stopped people before)
-easy way to deal with the car is either sell the wreck as a whole or part it out.

What a shame. But these things do happen sometimes.
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"
Old 03-23-2008, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Evolved

I know nothing about the 959. I assume it is very rare and difficult to get parts for.

If I owned one (of how many produced?) and intended to keep it and knew that the source for 'spare parts' was scarce, I would attempt to buy a 'parts car'.

Facts in this example: This ebayer has a total feedback of (2) responses, both were PURCHASES ...not sales. He suddenly now has several exotic/collector cars for sale? Hummm??? (caution due?)

The starting price is 100K. Lot of cash!

The dilemma is this: Do I think someone else will pay 100K for the car, so I miss the chance? When will another chance (ever?) occur?

If I think 100K is reasonable for a rare parts car, I am NOW on the way to the airport to go see it in person, or send a trusted surrogate
...or

I wait till the auction ends and make an offer (will another person do the same?)

Decisions...decisions....

EDIT: Your reflection on the dollar/euro imbalance is spot on. You may lose this to one of them fer'ners if you don't act quickly.

Last edited by Mo_Gearhead; 03-23-2008 at 06:38 AM..
Old 03-23-2008, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Well Wayne, you were wanting that second set of shocks for your car. If his one has 1600 miles on it, the shocks must still be decent. It's a start.

However, the point you make about the Euro is rather interesting. You might be right about the car's destiny. I'd say back to Germany given the way they are buying here in the US.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Unfair and Unbalanced

That's Maxim's Japanese cousin.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

something doesnt seem right, If you look at he other ads all the locations for the pics are in very different locations. Plus if you were selling higher priced items you would be giving more imformation in your ad not just a basic one sentence discription.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt View Post
Well Wayne, you were wanting that second set of shocks for your car. If his one has 1600 miles on it, the shocks must still be decent. It's a start.

Except they are likely bent....it looks mangled...who knows what damage lurks?

If ANY one of us were selling that car, we'd be communicating like crazy, or if we're so rich we can't be bothered, we'd have an assistant handling it.

Rotten fish is what I smell....
Old 03-23-2008, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
Buy it.......
Old 03-23-2008, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

GAFB

Heh, saw another 2,500km 959 come out of Japan. Was more like 102,500km once we got under her skirt...
Old 03-23-2008, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

I read a lot of Wayne's post about tidying up your finances for a possible upcoming recession. Where does buying a $100k parts car fall in this line of thinking?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: