Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 3.57 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1967 911 restoration...becoming a T/R

I recently acquired this 1967 here on Pelican a few weeks ago. The mechanicals are nearly complete but it was begging for a cosmetic restoration. The car appears to be all original sheet metal and has never had any prior repairs or accident history. Oh, the front suspension pan was replaced already so that does not need to be addressed. I am going to post photos of the somewhat small rust repair issues both for my benefit and the benefit of others. I am hoping that others will chime in and give me advice etc as I have never done these types of repairs before.

The car will stay light ivory but will have surprise paint and graphic scheme. At this point it is still a vision in my mind, we'll see how that pans out. I have some hood mounted rally lights that will accompany the through the horn grill fogs. The interior will get RS or ST type seats, a 911R type wheel and then simply paint the interior so it will be void of carpet etc... I will most likely simplify the door panels, delete the radio and install a TRE 911R roll bar.

Thats the plan at this point although I am attacking this one step at a time. I will update as I make progress but for now, I will make up for the last two weekends and post several pics...

Here it was prior to purchasing it... my cars never stay this way for long as many of you know after following my ST build.

I did manage to drive this one for a few days before tearing into it. It drives and handles very well for a SWB!

Then one night I started cutting to see how extensive the known rust areas were...

The passenger side was the worst area but still not too bad. The inner longitudinal was solid but the vertical support and the rear portion of the outer longitudinal were toast. I debated removing the whole longitudinal but I figured it was best to keep as much of the factory panels as possible. Plus I might create problems with door gaps etc... All remaining metal was cleaned, treated and zinc coated. I think POR has its place but in this area where I am cleaning the metal thoroughly, I think zinc is the way to go.

It was about this time that I found out that replacement sheet metal does not fit worth a darn. I purchased my parts from Stoddard. Some were aftermarket and others were supposedly Porsche items. None of them fit. The only parts that did fit were the NOS panels that I had for the door latch support. All the other parts required lots of modification to fit properly. Keep your eyes peeled for pie cuts and you will know why I had to do that.

I replaced the leading edge of the front fender as the sheet metal was a little pitted. Stoddard sells a "patch" panel for this area. It was the worst fitting of all the pieces. I opted not to use this on the drivers side. It was much easier to repair and replace the factory panel. I had to do a lot of sections and hammer/dolly work on the passenger side to make it work. I don't have a photo after grinding the welds...I will get that later.
'73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
'78 911SC backdate
Old 05-04-2008, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Now on with the drivers side.... This was easier as the vertical support was fine and I was able to reuse the leading edge of the fender where it wraps into the door jamb. As I mentioned, that was a problem area on the passenger side. The black areas are being treated with rust encapsulator and were eventually cleaned to shiny metal.

All the panels were zinc coated inside and out. Also, I had to completely remake the area between the jack post and the vertical support. It was off by about an inch!

And after finishing the welds...

'78 911SC backdate
Old 05-04-2008, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

spotted some tarret/elephant/weltmeister pro sway bar set up there. Some hidden "treasures" in the suspension?

nice work
btw- your seat upholstery samples going out this week
db
Old 05-04-2008, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Now onto the front fenders. The rear edge of both front fenders has rust issues that needed attention. There had been some very poor body work done at the time of the prior respray. Hey Jethro, lets just hit the rusty spot in with a hammer and fill it will bodo! Morons....

Replacement panels are made by Alfa parts or something like that... They seem like they would like to make other Porsche sheet metal and their product was nicely made... however they did not fit either. I am going to call them and let them know what changes can be made so subsequent producs will be of better quality.

I guess I was on a roll here because I only took one photo. Still more welding to be done but spot welds are holding things together nicely. I will need to rework the feder lip as the new one is too square and the SWB cars are supposed to have a rounded lip.

Same thing on the passenger side but I had to to a verical cut to reshape the new sheet metal.

Both front fenders were later removed for finish welding and grinding the welds.
'78 911SC backdate
Old 05-04-2008, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
Chris - I very much look forward to the completed project. Please enjoy the pic of the white TR:

Old 05-04-2008, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The trunk had lots of surface rust when I got it so after spending some time with a wire wheel on my grinder I was able to address the situation. The little bracket that hold the bottom of the hood struts is a nightmare waiting to happen on these cars. It just holds all the crud and water in that little pocket and the cancer begins. I had to cut out both strut supports but the passenger side will require a bigger patch piece. I will have to hand make this since no replacement panels are offered. Not sure if I will replace the strut supports or go with hood prop rod(s). Struts never seem to work anyway...especially with hood mounted rally lights. They'll work for a day and then we all know what happens...the hood falls on your head and you resort to your trusty broom handle

Now, this is going to be a fun one to weld...

I also had to replace the front lip that the hood to bumper seal fits into. This was a relatively easy job and the replacement panel fits well... so quick that I forgot to take a pic.

Time to do a trial fit of my old momo wheel and my homemade 911R horn button...

And then remove the wheel again so I can start cleaning the interior sheet metal. No significant rust in here but lots of crud to grind off. I want to get the whole interior down to nice shiny metal before I zinc coat it and shoot it with a coat of satin black epoxy.

Arrrgh, thats a messy job. Wonder if I can find someone and pay them hourly to do this...

Thats about it for now. Will post progress as it happens.
'78 911SC backdate
Old 05-04-2008, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the pic Bob! Yep, thats what I am shooting for but with lots of my own details and the "secret" paint scheme. Already have that muffler

Dave, looking forward to the samples...got any green cordoroy?

Yep, you noticed the suspension...lots of goodies! LSD 901, 2.7RS spec motor and Carrera brakes. It should be a great runner when it is done.
'78 911SC backdate
Old 05-04-2008, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

chris - a little 'down under' inspiration:

http://www.bowdensown.com.au/cars/911tr.html
Old 05-05-2008, 02:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Great work as usual Chris!

Some more of the Bowden (ex Hamilton) TR

Old 05-05-2008, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Looking good Chris

Here's one I have always liked the look of...

'71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST SOLD
Old 05-05-2008, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
Alright, another SWB project...a T/R no less. You really do nice work Chris.
'66 911 #303872
'07 Cayman
'58 Land Rover S2 88"
Old 05-05-2008, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Great Work.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Chris,
The way that you go after the body/metal fab is great. I'm fairly handy on the engine/mechanical side of things, but the bodywork is voodoo to me. Your project and Rich Lamberts recent post are de-mystifying the process. It's either that or you guys are just that good!!!!!

regards,

Al
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 05-05-2008, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to air-cool-me
Looks great! Will you take 20K as is? ha.

"It drives and handles very well for a SWB!"

Wait till you get it on the track with some fresh RA-1's....

Its a monster killer on a short\tight track (firebird east in PHX)
Old 05-05-2008, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Let me know if you decide to ditch those seats...I'd be interested in buying them..
Old 05-05-2008, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Midwest R Gruppe

Garage
Well, here we go again with another project! Chris, you are absolutely a ball of fire and tireless. Do you have a family? When do you find time to do your profession? I will be eagerly watching your progress and admiring it from afar. Good luck and I am sure it will turn out absolutely spectacular given how nice your ST tribute was. Looking forward to this one...

69E Coupe 2.2S LtWt
70 914-6 GT
Old 05-05-2008, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Dixie Region R Gruppe

Garage
I am amazed at the level of bodywork you perform. Was it not so long ago that you did your first welding? Seems like I remember that in Excellence.

Can't wait to see this progress.
Phil
Old 05-05-2008, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Very nice workmanship! Great to see another one restored.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Chris,

PM me your mailing address and I will send you a CD with the high resolution photos Ed Mayo and I took of the '68 TR at Moorespeed.

BTW, very nice project.

Regards,
Bob
Old 05-05-2008, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Why can't I see any of the photos? Or does the emperor have no clothes?
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Old 05-05-2008, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: