Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Mine does.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Brian, could you explain how you connect the light in the fusebox. im a dummy. thanks
I'm almost afraid to offer advice because if you aren't sure of yourself, you'll blow a fuse, make sparks, etc. On the other hand, if you string jumper cables back to the engine bay, you might make sparks somewhere along the line, too.

If you remove your engine bay fuse panel cover, you'll see fuses there and some of those connections will be "hot" with the engine running. If you're in doubt, check it with a continuity light or a multimeter.

Then, you carefully connect the positive connector of the timing light to that and the negative connection to any bare metal in the engine bay, which should be well grounded.

You can also time with your inductive pickup hooked to any plug wire if you know what you're doing. But let's not get into that because it will completely muddy this thread up.

Brian
Old 05-15-2008, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Oh, c'mon, tell me how to time with the pickup hooked to, say, a #3 plug. Really. I have no idea. (No fair making new timing marks, though.)
Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

OK, I don't know if this is true on earlier 911s, but the crank pulley on an SC is divided into three 120-degree quadrants with notch marks (three notches -- one at Z1, one at Z1+120 and one at Z1+240).

So, if you have a good understanding of the relationship between Z1 and the timing mark (say, 5 degrees BTDC for an SC), choose any old plug wire for your inductive pickup and you can time from that. Try it, it's fun.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program, "Safely Running Jumper Cables Around to the Back of My Porsche to Power a Timing Light."

Brian

Last edited by 1982911SCTarga; 05-15-2008 at 06:15 PM..
Old 05-15-2008, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I'll be damned...I didn't know that. By the way, I don't use jumper cables on my timing light. It has nice, long, integral leads that reach the battery very nicely. Try it...it's fun too.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I've had several, and recently bought one from my Snap-On guy that had a single inductive pick-up and on-board battery. Looks like a flashlight with one wire. Simple, easy to use, no hunting for a + connection. Similar style to the one below.

http://www.esitest.com/cart/130.html
Old 05-15-2008, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

I will be shocked if I'm the first one that's noticed this, because I'm guessing shops would have figured this out long ago and availed themselves of its slacker usefulness.

The leads on my light won't reach from the front to the back, so I have to content myself with tapping a hot wire in the rear fuse box.

Brian
Old 05-15-2008, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Old thread....

I’m needing a timing light. Confused as to if a newer one needs to be multi spark compatible for my twin plug engine. Or does that not matter?
Would like a gun with RPM and advance.
Product suggestions?
Old 01-29-2019, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Functionista

My vintage timing light died and was unrepairable. So I looked about and they all seemed cheap looking. So I bought a cheap version and the advance feature is unusable because it reads different at 35 advanced (TDC on engine at 6000 rpm with knob at 35) than leaving it at zero and looking for pulley marks. I would search for another vintage Snap-On gun if I were looking.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafeye View Post
Old thread....

Iím needing a timing light. Confused as to if a newer one needs to be multi spark compatible for my twin plug engine. Or does that not matter?
Would like a gun with RPM and advance.
Product suggestions?
I've used mine on various MSD products in my car (6AL, Streetfire) and had fine results, it doesn't seem to care about the multi-spark.
Actron CP7529 Digital advance with RPM. The RPM is kinda nice, you can probe each plug wire and verify that they're reading the same RPM, if not then you might have internal damage preventing all of the sparks on a given wire.

I've had it for about 10 years now, doesn't seem to have aged at all.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 01-30-2019, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

You really need to have a timing light with the "Back dial" feature (I think others in this thread have used the term "adjustable advance"). this allows you to adjust your light to see what timing value you have if you are if you're at a particular mark. I have an Innova 3568. it was $60 on eBay and has the tach feature which is just great, as it saves you from having one more piece of crap in the field. I just love mine, having had two craftsman before it. I'd never have another without the tach feature. Not that worried about being super accurate, but it's very, very useful.
You can get your positive wire from the alternator, just be careful not to get the wires caught in any moving part. Or long jumpers if you want. If you're not sure where to grab the positive from, just use your 12V tester to find what's hot and clip on.
steve
Old 01-30-2019, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
+1 for the Innova 3568. I bought one to work on a friend's 914, and after using it I can't imagine going back to one without an advance feature. There is also a pro version that measures dwell, if you are using points.
They are sold at your FLAPS, but much cheaper on amazon.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks for the input guys. I ordered the Innova 5568. It does the RPM and Advance.
$97 on Amazon. Hopefully last timing light Iíll need in this lifetime.

Last edited by seafeye; 01-30-2019 at 01:56 PM..
Old 01-30-2019, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

I think you'll be really happy with that choice. I misspoke when I said "back dial"...it's supposed to be "dial back" feature. My old Craftsman had that feature and it's a great thing. A mechanic who came to my place to help me with a car, had the Innova...i bought one that afternoon! steve
Old 01-30-2019, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Take a look at the French Grimes timing light, I have owned several adjustable snap on digital lights and on some ignition systems at high RPM they quit, the FG is the best light I've ever used
Mike Bruns
Old 01-31-2019, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Used my Innova again last nite...having the tach right there on the same screen as the timing degrees is just sinfully wonderful. Totally compatible with MSD boxes. it's looking at spark/electrical impulses in the plug wire and doesn't care about how it got there. steve
Old 01-31-2019, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
If i can't access 12v source easily on the car i'm working on, i usually will use the battery charger to power the timing light.

You'd think there would be a market for a timing light that uses a built in battery and not fuss with the alligator clips at all.

i bought a $20 red plastic timing light about 20 years ago that I still use. No dial or anything special. Its never let me down...
Old 01-31-2019, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Pampadori....good, good thinkin'! gonna file that one away. thanx. s
Old 01-31-2019, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBruns View Post
Take a look at the French Grimes timing light, I have owned several adjustable snap on digital lights and on some ignition systems at high RPM they quit, the FG is the best light I've ever used
Mike Bruns

Where are the FG timing lights available to purchase ?

Old 01-31-2019, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: