Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

That is one of the cleanest driveline projects I have never seen.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via AIM to GotaT Send a message via Yahoo to GotaT
WHERE did my Post go !?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Thumbs up Drivetrain Complete - 3 Years in the Making

Let me try this post again..

My 71 Porsche started out as a barn find a little over 3 Years ago. It was in "non running condition" when I got it and from there I began tooling on it, working primarily on the drivetrain to use it daily. I was able throughoght the build to do just that - drive it. Thanks to Wayne's Pelican parts and this Forum and all of you I have been able to tackle the drivetrain successfully!

Since I've gotten it I realized that someone before me installed a 2.4L and a 915 Gearbox of which both needed some real work. The 2.4 finally came to life due to a kinked fuel line spitting, sputtering, smoking and leaking everywhere... but, I was still Very excited realizing that the "non running" car Did in fact Run!

I have over the course of time done a complete top end rebuild, installed new mild cams, chains, and of course the other common things when doing the rebuild. I upgraded the ignition to solid state, plugs, wires, and distrubutor were all replaced. The engine rebuild was challenging and very rewarding! And now it is all back together and running Smoother than ever with very solid power and no leaks. All parts were freshly painted or powder coated, hardware replaced, and a new altenator was also installed. I most recently installed a tuned mandrel bent Dynomax which sounds Fantastic! The engine is now very strong and healthy!

My dad and I next tackled the 915 box which had a leak on the bell and did not shift extremely well. Mine is an early one so the only way to fix it is to tear it apart and press in a new seal from the inside. Quite the task, but it also needed to get done. While we were there I decided to freshen up 1st and 2nd, which now work Perfectly. They shift smoothly and when you want to quick shift from 1st to 2nd there is no reserve. It also got fitted with new Clutch kit and CV axles.

The brakes were replaced and Zimmerman cross drilled's are up front. Braded hoses are also next on the agenda to be installed. I also installed polyurethane bushings which will be replaced by Elephant Racing bushings next week. Wish I would have gotten these to begin. (Urethane bushings squeak). My car came with the stock 15x6 original fuchs which were extremely dull.

For the exterior appearnce I was finally able to find 2 aftermarket 15x7 fuchs that could and would get wet sanded and polished to brillance. All 4 wheels on the car have about 15 hours of polishing in each wheel and I went back over them with Zoop Seal to protect the hours spent polishing. I've just installed new tires, window tint and fixed and painted a very beat up Fiberglass S style bumper which is much more fitting.

For the interior I refurbished all the guages and painted the trim rings silver and black to make a very nice accent, coupled with the restoration of an OLD cracked wooden steering wheel. It now feels Great in the drivers hands. To complete the interior feel I upgraded the stock 71 worn seats with 87 stock Recaros that now include a power driver seat.

I've really come across several indviduals who dedicated their time and passed on priceless information to me. Mike at JB racing has been an invaluable resource along with Bieker engineering, and "camgrinder" here on the board. Many thanks go to you guys for your time and knowledge, I couldnt have done it without you. I also appreciate Pelican Parts forum and all of you guys who've helped along the way!

Here are a few photos of when I found it in the barn and a few recent shots as well.

Last edited by GotaT; 05-24-2008 at 10:41 AM..
Old 05-24-2008, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Here are some Recent photos of the completed project...

Old 05-24-2008, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hey Bro,

I am so proud and amazed of all the time and effort that you have invested in to that beauty. I remember when you pulled up to my house in it the first time... smoking like crazy, barely running, and making noises that most people would run from. <--- the Porsche, not you. You were like, -yeah, she's a little rough, but I'll get it running right.- And you did. I remember spending a few hours on the wheels myself, but nothing like what you did. They look great. And with wider rear wheels, very nice look.

I really wish i could have been there to help out and hang out. I can't wait until the next time I get a chance to go down so I can see it live and in person. It really shows that you have poured your heart & soul, blood, sweat, a few "choice words" and maybe even a tear into that project. I am sure that pictures don't do it justice either.

Congrats on the work well done. You should be VERY proud. She looks Great!

-Your Brother in the DFW Metroplex.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotaT's Brother View Post
Hey Bro,

I am so proud and amazed of all the time and effort that you have invested in to that beauty. I remember when you pulled up to my house in it the first time... smoking like crazy, barely running, and making noises that most people would run from. <--- the Porsche, not you. You were like, -yeah, she's a little rough, but I'll get it running right.- And you did. I remember spending a few hours on the wheels myself, but nothing like what you did. They look great. And with wider rear wheels, very nice look.

I really wish i could have been there to help out and hang out. I can't wait until the next time I get a chance to go down so I can see it live and in person. It really shows that you have poured your heart & soul, blood, sweat, a few "choice words" and maybe even a tear into that project. I am sure that pictures don't do it justice either.

Congrats on the work well done. You should be VERY proud. She looks Great! ..

-Your Brother in the DFW Metroplex.
Thanks for your response on the board! I also remember pulling in your driveway after figuring there was a kinked fuel line! Man, the car Sounded Awful and was smoking like crazy.. Still I had a HUGE smile though and others around had a face of Concern but of hopefulness! hahaa..
Im eager for you to have the opportunity to get behind the wheel take it through some turns and plant some power down! Hope to See you Soon!
Old 05-26-2008, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Nice job!
If you bought it right the sweat equity will pay off in spades. Not often you can fix up a car and have the value increase as you enjoy it.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Slippery Slopenose Victim

Gotta love black .

I ( like the steering wheel ) am sporting wood !

It's always nice to give yourself validation and know that you're not the only insane one bringing these car back to a correct state .

Nice story and pics .

My project ( Mr. Potato-head ) is on the back burner while my new garage is being built , can't wait to start back on it though .

SxS

Mr. Potato-head , 1974 911 Slant/turbo look 2.7
1963 Cooper S ex-C sedan , 1974 Vespa Rally , 1974 TVR 2500M (sold) ( Musta had massive head trauma in 74 , ya think ? )
Old 05-26-2008, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

congratulations Mitch, looks very good. Lots of hard work but it feels good in the end doesn't it.
car looks awesome.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hey Bro,

I was looking at the pics again, and noticed that the rear louver/cooling vents on the "deck lid" look silver. Did you paint those, is that a billet aluminum grill, or is it an illusion? It looks great, if it really is silver. Looking at it from 450 miles away, it looks like a billet grill. Let me know.

Later
Old 05-26-2008, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks Jerry! You gotta see it soon

The grill is the same as before all aluminum and polished.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I'll have to, mine will be gone tomorrow. In fact, it's getting on a boat.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Keep me posted Jerry!

I'll be running up to Houston and Galveston this Weekend for the First time in the Porsche!... It will be the Longest road trip yet
Old 05-27-2008, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

at least you have a targa. I was sweating at 8 am this morning. With an extra pair of seats stuffed in the car.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: