Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need help with fuel line install - '88

As it is in a lot of the US, it is hot as it can be and I am stuck under my car trying to figure out how to install something.....the fuel lines to and from the engine.

My '88 Carrera was stolen and recovered and I now have an engine and tranny mated up and I am trying to get ready to install them. My problem is that when I got the car back from the insurance co. a lot of stuff was stripped off. Most is evident where a lot of the things go (seats, dash, etc) and I thought the fuel lines would be the same. I bought a set from a wrecking yard off of an '88 so I expect them to be a good fit.

The problem I am having is ...where do the lines enter and exit and what is their relationship to the shift rod, accelerator cable, clutch hydraulic line, etc? Are there clips, holders, guides for these two lines? Having never paid any attention to them when the car was whole, I have no idea how to put them back in and do it right. I have made quick attempts to put them in but keep running into other lines, cables, etc. The diagrams I have been able to find give little guidance and the posts I have read are from people who are taking one set out and replacing with new ones.

HELP!!
2010 BMW 328I
2010 Mini Cooper (Wife)
Old 06-07-2008, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

man, that sucks!

Here's what Porsche supplies. I'm not sure which section is gone. Is it the center section, what do you have? Do you need the engine compartment hoses too?

Let us know and I'm sure the guys here will be able to help you. I have an '84, but maybe I can take some pics for you of my fuel lines.

I'm not sure that I would buy used fuel lines. Probably not. For sure, I'd buy used fuel fittings. But the lines, fuel pump, etc I'd go original Porsche and original Bosch.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Under normal circumstances I agree with you and would steer clear of used lines but in this case I was lucky enough to find a car that had new lines, front to rear, installed by a local dealer less than 12 months ago. He unfortunately forgot to turn and rolled his '88 coupe down an embankement. No major injuries, except to this coupe. A local Porche fan gave me the info on where the car was and the yard showed me the dealer paperwork for the new lines, hose, etc. $$$$$

I have all the lines, hoses and fittings needed based on the PET diagram. My issue is where the main steel lines start, how they get through the tunnel without hitting other things and where they come out. It appears they run straight but upon inspection it looks like there are a lot of things in the way. That is my dlilema. I don't want to install them where they hit something they should not and don't want to leave off any clips, etc that are needed in the tunnel.

Thanks!!
2010 BMW 328I
2010 Mini Cooper (Wife)
Old 06-07-2008, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

BUMP

It is still hot, I'm still sweating and confused. Any help will be greatly apprecaited.
2010 BMW 328I
2010 Mini Cooper (Wife)
Old 06-08-2008, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Did you figure it out? Let me know....I can get under my 87 and send you some pictures if you need it or you can come look at it.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Maybe these will help. someone posted these a few years ago but I do not remember who or what year.

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 07-12-2008, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

A Marchand fan before you

Garage
The picture shows a clutch cable. This would mean its pre-1987 since the G50 in 87-89 are hydraulic. Yes?
Old 07-12-2008, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

ITs a pain. Are you using OEM replacement lines? I just installed new lines yesterday but used -8 and -10 Aeroquip lines. Thats a lot more than you need for a stock motor so maybe -8 and -6. In any case you can just thread them through, zip-tie them up and away from the accelerator lever (that needs to move unimpeded) and feed them throughthe front and rear 'bulkheads.' The front ones are a pain for larget size hoses so I drilled in a new grommet.

I'll post pics when I finish getting the hydraulic clutch hard line for the G50 in.
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 07-12-2008, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Look at the pics posted by Harry. However, note that they are mislabeled (passenger and driver side are swapped...at least for a US car). The area labeled "Passenger Side Conduit" is where you route the fuel lines (again, it's actually on the driver side). There are entry and exit holes for the lines on the driver side of the forward bulkhead and the engine firewall. To make the job easier, you should remove the tunnel carpet, driver seat, shifter, console, and coupler access panel inside the car, and on the outside you should pull the suspension pan and ideally have the engine and trans out of the car. Once you've got all of that stuff out, you need to feed the lines into the tunnel and guide them through the conduits. It's labor intensive, but not as bad as it looks.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP911 View Post
Look at the pics posted by Harry. However, note that they are mislabeled (passenger and driver side are swapped...at least for a US car). The area labeled "Passenger Side Conduit" is where you route the fuel lines (again, it's actually on the driver side). There are entry and exit holes for the lines on the driver side of the forward bulkhead and the engine firewall. To make the job easier, you should remove the tunnel carpet, driver seat, shifter, console, and coupler access panel inside the car, and on the outside you should pull the suspension pan and ideally have the engine and trans out of the car. Once you've got all of that stuff out, you need to feed the lines into the tunnel and guide them through the conduits. It's labor intensive, but not as bad as it looks.
Jon, you are correct on them running through the conduit. The lines should be fed in the front and out the back. Hopefully, a portion of the old lines are still in there. If the old lines are still there, I'd use them to attach to the new ones and pull them through. There are a few metal tabs along the way that are used to keep the lines secure and out of the way of the throttle and shift rods. Bend them away before pulling and bend them back after installing.
Have fun.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks guys for all the responses. I will get in and under mine this weekend and see if I cannot get this finished. Knowing there are conduits inside the tunnel makes sense. I have little in the way so maybe this wont be too bad. I'll post results later.
2010 BMW 328I
2010 Mini Cooper (Wife)
Old 07-15-2008, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

For future reference, the pictures are not mislabled. The pieces are upside down, so to speak. We are looking at the bottom or inside of the tunnel. If you inverted these, you'd see that passenger side is on the right, etc.

Walt Fricke
Old 10-25-2009, 11:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: