Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
AC Compressor leaking oil?

All,

Need your help on this one. I have a 993 C2. I am finding streaks and build up of oil inside the rear deck lid and on the right side of the the engine compartment. Tracing it, it looks like the oil is coming from AC compressor clutch. The oil looks like it is leaking and being flung from the front face of the compressor clutch.

Is it safe to assume that the compressor internal shaft seal is toast and will need to be replaced?

So, far my AC is still working fine.

thanks,
anthony
Old 07-09-2008, 12:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Haha, that is funny, I was just about to post the same issue today.

I too wonder if the compressor leaks oil, here is the pic of the streak under my engine lid, 87 Carrera, perfect working AC as well...

I use Brad Penn oil and the oil on the lid isn't green or is it?? I'm color blind.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Another pic near the motor mount-
Old 07-09-2008, 12:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Mine looked EXACTLY the same!!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Mine too!!
73.5 911T Targa - long gone...
Founder ncPOG: nevada county Porsche Owners Group - est. 2005
Old 07-09-2008, 02:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Anyone home from work that would like to chime in on this issue

I felt around the compressor pully and nothing was oily, seemed only to have a very slight film but was not dry. The leak must get worse when the clutch pully is in rotation.

Is the AC compressor shaft seal a DIY job or does that mean it's on its last legs and new compressor time

Last edited by Vino; 07-09-2008 at 04:06 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 03:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
You better get the freon out soon before you lose it all, damn expensive stuff these days. Now about the shaft seal, yes it can be replaced, but I seldom do them. I did one a Buick a few weeks ago and the damn compressor failed right after. Seems it all wears together sometimes. Get a rebuilt compressor, evac the system and save that precious R12, replace all the o-rings since you have it empty, new accumulator, check and clean the expansion valve. Vac for leaks, pull vac for 45 mins or so and recharge.

Get ready to open the pocket book when these r12 systems start leaking things, repair and or conversion gets expensive fast. Its been a busy AC season for me, however profitable
Old 07-09-2008, 04:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Brorag

Garage
You will need a new or rebuilt compressor. Been there, done that.
jd
Old 07-09-2008, 04:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
No sleep 'til... BROOKLYN

Garage
I'm also eager to hear what others have to say about this because I'm about to buy an 88' Carrera and it appears that when they took the pic's the car had this problem, we can see the same oil streak on the engine lid.

I asked the seller about it and he hasn't answered that one, I asked twice already so I'm starting to get suspicious. I already paid for the PPI.

flatsix
'90 T-3 Syncro
32C #16
Old 07-09-2008, 04:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Scott R,

You replace these for a living? I know one of the Porsche shops did AS as well, I would welcome any leads.

Speaking for my year, 87, is the Denso unit OEM?

$346 bones Vs. $1600+ for new OEM. Anyone rebuild these locally maybe near Boulder perhaps

Thanks, if I don't use the AC can I still drive the car without harm to the compressor?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Porscheholic

Garage
The Nippondenso and Denso compressors are known for this problem. Yes it is a leak. You are slowly losing refrigerant. One day you will find the AC is warm. If you still use R12 fix it ASAP. As far as rebuilding the compressor and replacing the seal, I have been told that the new seal won't last too long so I switched to a Sanden. Someone with a different experience can chime in.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino View Post
Scott R,

You replace these for a living? I know one of the Porsche shops did AS as well, I would welcome any leads.

Speaking for my year, 87, is the Denso unit OEM?

$346 bones Vs. $1600+ for new OEM. Anyone rebuild these locally maybe near Boulder perhaps

Thanks, if I don't use the AC can I still drive the car without harm to the compressor?

Thanks!
I'm an ex-wrench who happens to have a recovery and recycling machine in my garage, well that a ton of other stuff. There is a place in Northglenn (they have a shop in englewood as well) called "Maxair" (303) 452-4543 They can rebuild the compressor, get you parts for it, build you new hoses, supply custom condensors and just about anything. They are good guys, honest business that most of the dealers in town sub their extra work to.

And no, you won't damage the system driving it around with the compressor off. However, when something leaks out often times contaminants get in and cause damage to other pieces
Old 07-09-2008, 05:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I have the exact same issue with my 86. I recently had the R-12 refilled from our local mechanic and I asked him about the oil on the decklid. For what it is worth, he showed me a sort of wick at the top of the compressor that he says always will lose a little oil as long as the AC is on. Something about pulling oil to keep the compressor lubricated. Made sense but seems like a lousy design. Kind of tired of cleaning the oil off the deck lid every week or so. From these posts makes me wonder if that is indeed the case. Anyone else heard that theory?
96 993 Coupe
06 Cayenne S
Old 07-09-2008, 05:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Pelican Parts Tech Articles has an excellent article on rebuilding the compressor.

Also, here is another rebuild article on Rennlist.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=424999&highlight=compressor+clutch

It seemed a very easy task, especially a 911 where the compressor is right in your face.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1rob2 View Post
I have the exact same issue with my 86. I recently had the R-12 refilled from our local mechanic and I asked him about the oil on the decklid. For what it is worth, he showed me a sort of wick at the top of the compressor that he says always will lose a little oil as long as the AC is on. Something about pulling oil to keep the compressor lubricated. Made sense but seems like a lousy design. Kind of tired of cleaning the oil off the deck lid every week or so. From these posts makes me wonder if that is indeed the case. Anyone else heard that theory?
I won't second guess any pro wrench, however that oil can only escape through the shaft seal. As one of the above posters stated these nippon denso's from this generation are kind of notorious for doing this. Just save the R12 if you can, I purchased a new 30lb cylinder for $650 dollars form NAPA a few weeks back, the price is borderline stupid at this point.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Can I have the R12 put into a tank until I decide what to do, I'll fix it in a matter of months but to burn a hole in the ozone and in my wallet to let it leak out doesn't seem logical.

Do places like NAPA have the capability to drain it in a tank that I can purchase or will it need to be placed in a special tank for freon at a specialty Automotive AC shop?

Any other places sell rebuilt compressors like Sanden since I can't see why I would rebuild it if it's a Nippondenso POS?

Sorry, I am new to the whole AC thing but appreciate any help.

Scott R, thanks for the shop recomendation!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I've replaced that seal on my 88 twice. Once unsuccessfully and once successfully. Held fine for a couple of years till I went w/ the Sanden when I was in the mood to replace other stuff. Ken
Old 07-09-2008, 07:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Well, I opened the pulley cover and confirmed it's oil and dye leaking out of the shaft. See attached pics. Put a pressure gauge on it and see that I still have 34lbs of pressure of R134 (it's a 993).

I cleaned it up and out everything back together. Wonder how long can I go on like this. Maybe through this summer and rebuild it in the winter since it's my daily driver.

--
anthony
Old 07-09-2008, 08:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by axl911 View Post
Well, I opened the pulley cover and confirmed it's oil and dye leaking out of the shaft. See attached pics. Put a pressure gauge on it and see that I still have 34lbs of pressure of R134 (it's a 993).

I cleaned it up and out everything back together. Wonder how long can I go on like this. Maybe through this summer and rebuild it in the winter since it's my daily driver.

--
anthony
What year is this 993? Those look like r-12 service ports in the picture.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
That is a 95 993. Hmmm.... are those R12 port? They are big. They fit my Harbor Freight AC gauge kit.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:00 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: