Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.78 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Well a couple of clarification points
The exhaust is only temporary. I needed something to the end of the car. I have decided to put on a dynomax X-flow 2 in 2 out with 2.5" tubes. That should be here today. As for the neighbors, that would be the local business districts main street and they may take up more than just a collection.

The ride height has to be lowered significantly 2 to 3 inches. It won't clear the hoist at the level so for right now I am leaving it up. Also need to relocate the oil lines to make more room for the slicks. They leak anyhow.

I still really like the hard top.

The battery still needs to get smaller and go to the smugglers box.

The roll bar needs converted from a bolt-in to a weld-in required a little rework of the attachment points. It also needs to be extended to tie in the front. I plan to run a bar from the "B" pillar area to the lower wheel well area. About where the footwell blowers used to sit. I then plan to come up through the fire wall at an angle and basically make the knee bar on the trunk side of the fire wall. Will then triangulate the knee bar to the front shock mounts. I have discovered this cab is not nearly as still as my 85 cab was so it is going to need some support.

Brakes feel good but I have stainless lines to go on so one more flushing. It probably needed the extra flush anyhow.

As for tuning the engine idles perfectly at 890 rpm or even lower if I wish but 890 seems about right. I have / had a very bad lean hesitation occur right off idle. This of plugged off idle jets on a carb. Get past 1500 rpm or so and everything was back on track. I am trying learn all the settings on the electromotive system. So far car is still rich. I think I got the stumble solved or perhaps just masked. I go the dyno next Tuesday weather permitting. It is a mustang and can deliver a continuous load to simulate driving. Using this I should be able to work through the different rpm ranges. The quieter exhaust will help detect and pinging. The X-flow muffler is good for 1300 CFM. They say 500 HP with no loss. My little 300+ should be OK.

I also need to do alot of hole patching in the front firewall. Also have to seal the area around the cables that penetrate the rear firewall. I swear however that every single piece on this car is / or was broken. This truely will be a new car.

Looking for tarret front adjustable sway bars if anyone has any.
Cabriolet Racing And Performance C.R.A.P. Gruppe #1
Put on some C.R.A.P. and drive....
Old 11-12-2008, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Well the latest in the ongoing saga to beat this car into submission. (It is still winning) is to create window seals for the "B" pillar, rear of side window. Now you can purchase these new if you happen to have $150 ea just sitting around. I decided to use balsa wood and some foam after looking at my 85 and seeing it was mostly filler anyhow.
So I glued some balsa togeather to make a thicker block. Meaured, carved, measured, carved, glued back where I measure but carved too much then applied the foam sheeting and behold one left side window seal. Now to make the right side approximately match.
The pictures.

Last edited by dfink; 11-22-2008 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: picture didn't load properly
Old 11-22-2008, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Some more actual progress. I got the tranny oil cooler figured out. I think.....
It comes out of the bottom of the intermediate case just below the drain plug. There was some king of opening there anyhow so drilled it out and tapped it with a 1/2"NPT to 1/2" barb for the supply. I first tried to install the return in the front of the tranny where the factory cooler sets by installing a 3/8 90* angle. I found it hits the torsion tube so had to be plugged. For second attempt I went to the main case on top there are some nice flat spots. I picked the largest one then drilled and tapped. The case looks thin here but it is probably a 1/2" think there.
The cooler is a salvaged tranny cooler a friend scavenged for me from his body shop. He also found a really nice larger cooler but could find a good place for it.
Anyhow using the standard tilton pump this should provide some cooling. The area above the bell house probably get fairly warm unless moving or a pretty good breeze. I have been thinking of installing PC type puck fans on the cooler to help it out but will see.
I hope this will take care of some grinding problems that I get in auto-x or the track when tranny is getting hot. The crunches don't happen when things are cooler. I am also not sure about where it is dumping the oil. It is actuall inboard just a bit of the ring gear so I hope it doesn't cause loss like it might going directly into two gears.
Anyhow some pictures.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Another update.. This time pictures of the rebuild of the rebuild to fix the leaks. By the way if I never see loctite 574 again it will be too soon. Didn't seal and where it did stick it is a mutha to get cleaned off. I decided to go with Hylomar sealant. It doesn't ever get entirely hard though seems to set up more than curil T. It is applied to both side which is a pain but there is no time limit so you take your time. I guess I will know in a few days if I made the right decision. So the pics

A nice clean case

Some smurf poop smeared on first half

Second half

My handy dandy rod and chain holders

The squeeze out

More squeeze example I think this is one of the leaks spots from last time.

Hmmm I know I'm forgetting something

Would have been great to remember the engine tin before just getting ready to time cams. There is quite a trick to get the tin in at this point.

I decided to modify the heat shield for the cam sensor. I think the old large version was actually holding heat in by not allowing good circulation. I think this will protect the sensor and still allow air flow. And better access to header bolts

Old 11-30-2008, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

subd
Old 11-30-2008, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Beautiful!
Old 11-30-2008, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Kurt's top was one of the first ones; not long after I completely re-engineered the top, with particular attention to the rear mounting surface and window seals. I still hadn't solved the latching issue.

It's an interesting story about how I got started making tops... I paid $2900 (plus shipping!) for a top from World Class Exotics. It was an utter piece of crap. What I should have done was sent it back, but I really wanted a hardtop, so I set to work fixing it. Once I had an acceptable top, the guy who was making the RS heater tubes for me suggested that I pull a mold of it and away we go. Some time later, I was laid off and had some time on my hands, so I made a new prototype, but this time using junkyard pieces to make a more complete top. I splashed the top mounting area from a cab and the window openings from a coupe, and then sectioned them in. I also splashed the front mounting and side seal areas from a targa hardtop, and the B pillars from a targa. I have pix of the mold-creation process @ http://rennlight.com/hardtop/mold/

Various VWs
Old 12-05-2008, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Here's pix of the $2900 top

Various VWs
Old 12-05-2008, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
For my own track car, I did a top in carbon fiber. It took several tries - and several wasted yards of material - to get one that was usable. Due to the way the mold seams line up, it's not cosmetically viable to leave it 'raw', but on the plus side, it weighs about 8lbs

Various VWs
Old 12-05-2008, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

The carbon top would be great. It is good that the top was redesigned because quite frankly the first version was a real pain to get on the car in a non-bolt-in fashion.
Some updates on the car. It is getting closer to being a real car. Rear roll bar is installed. I think a couple of bushing are missing (used bar) so I will try to make something to work.

I reconfigured the switch for the data logging function of the TEC3r. Pictures to come as the camera is at home. Not sure if I went over this but I took the clock and removed the face plate. I then installed a blank black plate. I then installed three 12V LEDs from Radio Shack. (Green, Orange, Red) The LEDs will be indicators for: Green - data logging on [blinking] data logging full [solid] ; Orange - check engine light. It will blink the diagnostic code.; Red this will be a shift indicator. Not as big as some but will still let you know where you are at [will set at peak HP RPM

The clock is now also the location for the switch to turn on data logging and also has a switch to turn on the transmission oil cooler pump. I use the switch to activate a relay then the relay controls the pump. Those tilton pumps are noisy. I probably won't hear it though on the track.

I put on the rear deck lid for the trip to the dyno as it is supposed to be raining a possibly snowing later. It might protect it a little bit from road spray.

The shifter is repaired. The shift guide "A" bracket and springs were replaced with the correct ones for the factory short shift. I will still probably get the seine gate shift kit but all in due time.

I think I have found the cure for the hesitation when stabbing the throttle from idle. I had the AFM set to 14.86 trying to clean it up a bit. Then Richard Clewett had me try 14.2 still a hesitation. I then went to 13.5 at idle and no more hesitation. That is a fairly rich mixture but whatever works. Will be trying for 12.5 to 12.8 under load. Took the fuel pressure back down to 50 psi per Richards advice. I am also getting a better understanding of how to tune the system. Hopefully things will go well and quickly at the dyno.

I also got the case vent system put on the car. I converted a large A/C receiver dryer into the case vent. Again pictures will be coming. It is not exactly as I planned but I wasn't sure what was inside and after getting all the guts out I wish had placed the vent filter on the opposite end.

I am going to run street tires at the dyno this time. I don't think it will effect the readings maybe make HP read a bit less but all that dyno time is kind of hard on the race slicks. I don't know what the HP will end up at but the difference between this and my old porsche is like the difference between my old porsche and my Honda civic.

Title is still held up in the California DMV so can't plate the car yet. I really want to get it on the road for some real tuning. Won't be doing that much tho because the highs here now are in the 30s and There is no heat in the car. I also used the drivers side heater control to make an idle speed adjuster. The ITBs do not have idle air control so when it is cold it likes a little faster idle. This allows me to bump up the idle from the drivers seat. It works pretty well. I had to but about 4" off the sheath of the cable but I left the length of the actual cable intact. If I ever decide to make some sort of heat exchanger I could always put it back. I think however for most occassions if there was heat coming just in the passenger side it would be enough. The heater generally would run you out anyhow.

Also my supplier for roll bar tubing tried to sell me ERW in place of DOM. I am glad I did a lot of research and know how to tell the difference. Would suck to think you are using DOM then get inspected and find out it was ERW. Two different steel suppliers comments were. "it's the same stuff" I guess it is if you ignore the 30,000lb different in tensile strength. Anyhow current price for me is $3.99 ft.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
... also has a switch to turn on the transmission oil cooler pump. I use the switch to activate a relay then the relay controls the pump. Those tilton pumps are noisy. I probably won't hear it though on the track.

I also have a Tilton pump, but I use a thermocouple with a manual override. Anywhere over 3500RPM I can't hear it.
Various VWs
Old 12-08-2008, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

This is rediculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebody911 View Post
Old 12-09-2008, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Are you going to make more to sell them here?

BTW, has anyone figure out the total cost on this project include top, interior, latches, windows/windshield, and seals, etc.

Quote:
For my own track car, I did a top in carbon fiber. It took several tries - and several wasted yards of material - to get one that was usable. Due to the way the mold seams line up, it's not cosmetically viable to leave it 'raw', but on the plus side, it weighs about 8lbs

Old 12-09-2008, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnln View Post
Are you going to make more to sell them here?
Not the carbon fiber ones; I have a couple of fiberglass ones on-hand. The FG tops weigh 15-16 lbs.
Various VWs
Old 12-09-2008, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

More stuff to look at
Here is a picture of the lights and switches that I put in the old clock housing.

This sort of shows how I am using the heater cable as a manual throttle for warm up.

A picture of the oil pump location

Just a nice shot of the bottom of the engine. Nearly all the oil has now been burned out of the wrap from blown flywheel main seal.

A quick piece I did to support the deck lid for the dyno runs

This one kind of shows the case vent catch can I made from an old A/C reciever.

This just a nicer shot of the top side for my own indulgence.

The next two are just the current state of affairs.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Sports Purpose 911 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfink View Post
Just an attempt to keep the temps down a bit. Lots of debates over the header wrap. Will it or won't it cause the headers to crack. I don't know the answer but I do know the headers run pretty close to some of the electrical so I chose to take the chance of header failure over a complete electrical melt down.
My Dad is an old hotrod guy and he swears by header tape. Nice looking project, you've done a ton of stuff!
1990 964 RSR project 'Norbert'
1957 356A Emory speedster build in progress
Old 12-10-2008, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

fixed with complete interior and latches? Is there anyway you can tell the total cost at the end of the project done?
Too bad you guys are all in the north. If you are down here, I would ask to come to see it.

Quote:
Not the carbon fiber ones; I have a couple of fiberglass ones on-hand. The FG tops weigh 15-16 lbs.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

What are your impressions so far about the Hylomar sealant on the case halves? Did you also use it on the head-to-cam-tower interfaces?

Brian
Old 12-10-2008, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Well so far so good with the hylomar. I did use it on the tower to head surface. I don't see why it wouldn't work there also. Perhaps I will be sorry down the road but right now it appears to be working. Not alot of time on the engine but 14 dyno pulls put a pretty good load on it. That doesn't include the partial pulls where I backed off to make adjustment.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnln View Post
fixed with complete interior and latches?
Just the bare top.
Various VWs
Old 12-10-2008, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: