Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.78 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnln View Post
fixed with complete interior and latches? Is there anyway you can tell the total cost at the end of the project done?
Too bad you guys are all in the north. If you are down here, I would ask to come to see it.
I will take a wild stab at around $4500 to $5500. I don't know about the new tops but this one was very labor intensive. Seals are going to be around $600. The latches are going to be $350. Depending on the rear window you use and the rear window moulding $500 to a $1000. Then the side windows $300. Then there is the finish work $600 to a $1000. Head liner $200 - 300. Probably can be done for quite a bit less it you don't want it removable and use the bolts to attach the windows. There is a reason there are not alot of these around. That is about 1/3 the cost of the car. If you are like me though and just think its cool then go for it. Actually I wanted the weight saving by having no top at all during runs. Before finding this I was looking at making a removable canvas only cover and eliminating the standard top. The above is a guess using $2400 to $2500 as the base cost of the top. I have no idea what they sell for some adjustments may need to me made.
Cabriolet Racing And Performance C.R.A.P. Gruppe #1
Put on some C.R.A.P. and drive....
Old 12-10-2008, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Sports Purpose 911 Driver

wow! big bucks! This is why my ride doesn't have one yet ;-)

1990 964 RSR project 'Norbert'
1957 356A Emory speedster build in progress
Old 12-10-2008, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Dave, thanks for sharing a real-world-application perspective on the use of Hylomar on heads and case halves. Let us know how it goes down the road.

Brian
Old 12-11-2008, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

oh wow, off my list now. sad
Trhanks dfink
Old 12-11-2008, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Quote:
oh wow, off my list now. sad
Trhanks dfink
Keep in mind this is just a guess. Perhaps widebody911 has a better idea. I also don't know the cost of the top as my car had it on already.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Hi widebody911,
The way you did it, is it around there too or any better?
Thanks.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
I did a bare-essentials install of my top. I epoxied special bolts in the front of the top to mount it, and used a simple bracket to mount it in the rear. I also used flush-mount windows, as it's a track car.
Various VWs
Old 12-15-2008, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

If I ever come to the area, are you ok for me to come and take a look, to see how you do it?
Thanks.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Quote:
If I ever come to the area, are you ok for me to come and take a look, to see how you do it?
Thanks.
Absolutely!
Various VWs
Old 12-15-2008, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Well I have gone over the edge crossed the line slid down the hill moved to the dark side and just plain went nuts. I pulled the windshield and yanked out the dash.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfink View Post
I pulled the windshield and yanked out the dash.
I replaced my dash with a piece of felt held on with velcro.
Various VWs
Old 12-16-2008, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebody911 View Post
I replaced my dash with a piece of felt held on with velcro.
I think I am going to try and build one out of aluminum sheet. The top of the dash is exposed to the front trunk containing the fuel tank so it has to sealed off. There are alot of holes in the top of the dash that penetrate into the trunk area. I could just put patches on the holes then as you said cover with felt. I will probably cover with felt anyhow as I won't want the glare from the aluminum.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Well I finally took the car for a drive. It made it 32*, wind blowing like crazy no gaskets between the windshield frame and the top. I was afraid the top might come loose as I didn't have it bolted on, just latched. Since I had no gaskets in the wind was able to get under it. So I went a coupel miles and turned around. Car drives great, doesn't pull, rides like crap is extremely noisy and not tuned for 32* but it still made my Christmas. I said I wanted to drive it for xmas and I did. I din't get on it much as I was running the straight pipes and still don't have plates. Very inconspicuous, low profile.....
When I did get on it holy C.R.A.P.
First gear is like done before you start and second is just crazy. I never hit third hard but low end pull in 4th is also very strong. I can see its gonna be one wild ride.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Well title is finally a done deal and the nice lady at the DMV gave me D1984 for a plate number. The car runs much better with the muffler on as that is how I had it tuned. No problem getting the inspection done checked the VIN said Oh you have a cage nice.
I still can't get over how easy the steering wheel turns. It's like power steering. I am afraid that is a bad thing and that the wheels won't have enough weight on them to turn. We shall see later no place to play right now. It is quieter with the rubber seals in the doors and the roof.
Anyhow if the weather clears just a bit I may still try and get in a bit of a drive. I need to install a power inverter so I can run my computer. The battery doesn't work so it has to be plugged in.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Also a hugh Thanks to Kurt for helping get the title thing strightened out. Its very nice to know that there are still some good people out there....

So three cheers for Kurt

Old 12-26-2008, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Hi dfink,
Can you tell me what kind of epoxy is this? Would those at Home Depot works as well as this? Also, can you tell if this epoxy is better or the yelly thing for fiberclass will bind better?
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfink View Post
Finally made a decision on how to tie the top down in the rear section. We made a clamp out of some square tubing and some 1/2" stock (the inside piece) This was epoxied above the rear window. A strap was ran from the clamp to the ledge of the car where the old frame sat. This was then latched with a toggle latch. The toggle latch $2.99 harbor freight comes with a long clamp arm. These were ground down to the hook shape shown. The top clamp makes it adjustable and it really pulls the top down nice. The second are is the rear seal. This is an epdm seal from mcmaster. I think it was part number 1120A821 I can recheck my invoice. It makes a nice seal on the inside and I think ties in the top on the outside. The very rear is held down by a piece of aluminum angle that is epoxied to the inside edge. When putting the top on the back is just slid under the existing edge and then layed in place. Two rear clamps and the two front clamps and your done.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

The epoxy I used for the rear window latch was just plain old epoxy. I am not sure I would do it again. For it to work the surfaces have to be ruffed up and really clean. I had the rear lip pop off because I forgot to wipe it with cleaner before applying the epoxy.
Something thicker I think would work better because it wouldn't run. I don't what the putty stuff is like they sell on TV ads but something like that may work. Just make sure it is scuffed well and clean.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Or drill holes in the Al stock then put some fiberglass tape thru it to help it bond.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Czar of C.R.A.P.

First one of the rear latches popped off today will have to panel bond them. Also finished all the cage and set the horizontal bar today so that is done. Decided to see how I finally was going to come out on corner balance and weight. So I put the muffler back on. Removed the street tires and installed the Fuchs with goodyear slicks disconnected the sway bars and setup the scales. I also removed the battery as it will be replaced by an odyessy which weighs 16lbs. I pleasantly suprised to see the car came in race ready at 2190 add in the battery and I am at 2206. That is without the top on because that is how I intend to run it. The top weighs 48lbs if I decide to leave it on for rain etc...
Anyhow I am happy with that weight.
Also results from the latest dyno runs are in. This time on a dynojet the best result was 272.7 rear wheel I quit the test at 7000 and it was still climbing. I don't think it would have went much more than a couple hundred rpm before petering out. Not as good as some but better than many. I can't wait to get it on a track someplace. Maybe if the weather holds out I will catch an open day at Hastings.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Congrats on the dyno run and the scale turnout. Sounds like you have got quite the beast ready to run there. Can't wait to see it this spring.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: