Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.43 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
At the track = great day

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
BTW - do you have elec. windows? One thing we have never been able to nail down is whether they weigh more or less than manual (and if that is based on the different guide rails or not)....
I've always guesstimated that the electric windows weigh less than the manual but probably not by a lot. Of course, if I were really looking to save weight on the door I'd just replace or remove the glass.

Either way, I'd be interested in the answer just for the sake of knowing.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracb View Post
what happened to the tar sound deadening material on the floor of cockpit?.....I have been doing the exact projecton on my 87 targa. Using sparco seats, rs door panels, and rs carpet set. I removed the center consule and air cond controls. Debating removal of door lock acctuator, and instaltion of door speakers and retention of radio. Interested in your plans for these items.
dracb,

You will find it ALL on this thread including some info tonight!! It is really time consuming to locate all of the part numbers and the applicable years, and I know I will need some help from fellow members. Upcoming will be in order:
  • Bumpers
  • Interior
  • Body
  • Door Panels (I kept this separate as it is a popular conversion on it's own)
  • A/C Delete (on it's own)
  • Plus all other kinds of mechanical stuff.
Stay Tuned
Old 08-06-2008, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChkbookMechanic View Post
I've always guesstimated that the electric windows weigh less than the manual but probably not by a lot. Of course, if I were really looking to save weight on the door I'd just replace or remove the glass.

Either way, I'd be interested in the answer just for the sake of knowing.
On the electric window thing (and I have electric windows) I think you will lose some weight by going to manual and getting rid of the motor. I also have electric door locks and I am not sure if it is worth getting rid of at this point.

If have have time, I will pull some stuff out and weight it prior to reassembling the interior.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL View Post
You're not saving 20 lbs by switching to Euro crush tubes. My weights agree with Joe's 3.5 lb each measurement. I measured both USA shocks together when tracking my weight losses and my notes tell me they weigh 7 lbs combined.

Therefore, the USA shocks are 14 lbs total for all four. So you can't save 20 lbs by switching to Euro tubes, since the Euro tubes would have to weigh negative 1.5 lbs each, or negative 6 pounds total! Is gravity different in Europe?
Maybe the euro's are filled with Helium.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Brorag

Garage
subscribed
Old 08-06-2008, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
At the track = great day

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakinJoe View Post
On the electric window thing (and I have electric windows) I think you will lose some weight by going to manual and getting rid of the motor. I also have electric door locks and I am not sure if it is worth getting rid of at this point.

If have have time, I will pull some stuff out and weight it prior to reassembling the interior.
Well, you loose the motor but gain the weight of the crank and its parts. So in the end it is probably a wash. Either way, I'm not going to get rid of my electric windows... I like to have some comfort.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
I have seen an offering for euro crush tubes to replace our bumper shocks and they make it sound like you can save 20 lbs by changing out all four.

However, you note they only weigh 3.5 lbs each.

Something dose not add up. Is this a case of misrepresentation of did your car possably have the euro crush tubes instead of US bumper shocks?

I have never looked forward to a post like I do this one...
911st

So I read your posts, and wonder if I have Euro shocks for some reason, and I go out to the garage and they are the US versions. See the pictures. I decided to re-weigh them though, and I get 3.61 lbs each...??? My last weigh I forgot to put on the gold square backing plate and it weighs .11 lbs EXACTLY!!!. I will correct it and it will be fixed in tonights post and I will also correct on first post. While I am weighing I am thinking of something clever to write, and sure enough I was going to write that maybe Euro shocks are filled with helium..but you got that already!! I did find soemthing else cool that I will post later. I also re-weighed the rears and they are spot on.

I would not say a company is mis-representing something until I know what they are comparing it to. I am not sure if there are aftermarket shocks out there that double as boat anchors, but my calculation says these this weigh 14.92 lbs total.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakinJoe View Post
On the electric window thing (and I have electric windows) I think you will lose some weight by going to manual and getting rid of the motor.....If have have time, I will pull some stuff out and weight it prior to reassembling the interior.
I am working on this as well. I'll soon have weights for both styles of manual windows (parallel arm and cross arm) and a weight for the parallel arm electric. If you could weigh a cross arm electric regulator, we could nail this down once and for all.

JR
Old 08-06-2008, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Thanks JAVA
Old 08-06-2008, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

[QUOTE=ShakinJoe;4104420]LOL!! I hear that, I have had a few "get away" including this one.

Hey, that car looks familiar...

Is that pic taken at Dave White's shop? Did you follow it being built? I picked it up back in March and have been enjoying it. Did you almost purchase it from Hal? I remember him saying that he had a local buyer that wanted the car.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

ShakinJoe,

Great project!

Will you be looking to sell some of the removed interior items?

Thanks
sc
Old 08-06-2008, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
I am working on this as well. I'll soon have weights for both styles of manual windows (parallel arm and cross arm) and a weight for the parallel arm electric. If you could weigh a cross arm electric regulator, we could nail this down once and for all.

JR
That would be great.

And we do need to nail it rather than just have speculation. We already have threads full of that.

BTW - ShakinJoe... If you have not seen this before it may help you.

http://www.penaltykicker.com/911/data/

My data are oriented toward the early cars. The Word doc also contains a pointer for Jim Calzia's tables at Early911S bbs. He was the first guy to really go after this issue in a systematic and quantifiable way - besides the factory of course.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
re the shocking wt. of the shocks...

it never hurts to put a couple of measured liter bottles of water on the scale and verify that it is close to what it should be. I have set of brass stds. I use periodically.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc View Post
ShakinJoe,

Great project!

Will you be looking to sell some of the removed interior items?

Thanks
sc
SC,

Most is sold and more will be posted when I have a minute. PM me with your needs.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

There's another thread somewhere showing one of the US shocks weighing over 4 lbs. Might be a front bumper shock vs rear bumper shock thing.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

BTW - ShakinJoe... If you have not seen this before it may help you.

http://www.penaltykicker.com/911/data/

Yes I have seen this in addition to data on Rennspeed. The link you gave me had great info, but what I am aiming to do is have very useable data for the average owner who wants to do some backdating or weight removal in their ride. The SC/Carreras will be hot for this in the next 10 years as the Long-Nose availability and price is just about out of reach for a beat it up at the track type of car.

As for the scale. It is brand spanking new and very accurate. I do have brass that I check with too. I actually weigh every part twice. I weigh the first time, make sure the scale goes back to zero, and weigh again to confirm. If the scale does not go back to zero, I re-tare and start over. If I am not happy on weights from L&R parts due to a difference I try to figure out why there is a difference. The lower rockers are a good example. Left weighed 4.22 lbs, and right weighed 4.45 lbs. Why is there 1/4 lb difference? I took them back out, hosed them down to clean them of road debris that may have caused this but upon re-weigh, they were still 1/4 lb diff! The hard part for me is getting the year range of the part. It is a lot of time spent on PET!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
I suspect you are finding normal manf. variance. There was no particular reason for P AG to be certain the parts weighed a certain amt. or that they matched.

IF you think that is bad, just try weighing mountaineering or backpacking tents sometime - they are all a LOT heavier than they claim to be.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
1-6-2-4-3-5-1-6-2-4-3-...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
IF you think that is bad, just try weighing mountaineering or backpacking tents sometime - they are all a LOT heavier than they claim to be.
Hahaha, typical...
Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

DAY 3 July 27, 2008

Jobs for today include:
  • Rear Deck Mat
  • F/R Condenser
  • Shock Tubes
  • Center Console
  • Auto Heat Control Box
  • Eng Comp Heat Blower Motor

Things are getting smoother and a little faster by now, and the car is starting to look real empty which is awesome!! I am not in time crunch yet, but I have travel plans from August 11th thru the 22nd, and I need to get my stuff done prior to send the car off to the body shop for bumpers and paint. HERE WE GO!!

This is the start of the day.

I made quick work of the rear deck sound pad.

Front and Rear Condenser Shots.

Next Are the Bumper Shocks.

This is a good time for the End Plate Shot.

Next is the blower motor and air socket, but I still have those A/C lines to get out! See Before and After.

Auto Heat Controller and Center Console are quickly dispatched, but there are a lot of wires!

Next up:
  • Washer Tank
  • AC Lines
  • Front Smile
  • Drivers and Passenger Rockers

Last edited by ShakinJoe; 08-07-2008 at 12:12 AM..
Old 08-07-2008, 12:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Pounds come from ounces.

Here are the anticipated weights. The first three days yield 244.47 lbs!! WOW!! Keep in mind that at the end of this thread all numbers will be complete. If you can help with any blanks, or, spot any discrepancies it would be appreciated. PM me on any changes as it will be easier for me to keep track of.

Enjoy! I will doing a separate piece on the door panels, as well as, the sound deadening mats at the beginning of September.

Last edited by ShakinJoe; 08-07-2008 at 08:10 AM..
Old 08-07-2008, 12:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
backdate , carrera , weight